Author Topic: 32 inch. Is this the biggest?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
32 inch. Is this the biggest?
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
Like the subject says, is this about the biggest monitor made for PC's? I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my current monitor, a Sceptre 246w-1080p. It's good, but wouldn't bigger be better, from a gamers standpoint that is?
I'm leaning toward a 32" 2ms something or another, but have also thought "what the heck, why not a 40" TV"? I wouldn't be that interested in watching movies or the like on the TV/Monitor (although having that option is nice), as I don't do that now, but the thought of a bigger screen for the game seems like something to consider.

So that being said, what do ya'll think? Go with a dedicated 32" monitor (or bigger if it exists) or go 40" TV? If TV, what would be some of your recommendations?

Many thanks,
Nutz

P.S. BTW, are there larger monitors that the 32"?
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: 32 inch. Is this the biggest?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
Like the subject says, is this about the biggest monitor made for PC's? I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my current monitor, a Sceptre 246w-1080p. It's good, but wouldn't bigger be better, from a gamers standpoint that is?
I'm leaning toward a 32" 2ms something or another, but have also thought "what the heck, why not a 40" TV"? I wouldn't be that interested in watching movies or the like on the TV/Monitor (although having that option is nice), as I don't do that now, but the thought of a bigger screen for the game seems like something to consider.

So that being said, what do ya'll think? Go with a dedicated 32" monitor (or bigger if it exists) or go 40" TV? If TV, what would be some of your recommendations?

Many thanks,
Nutz

I believe there is a topic floating around here of someone who got a 40 inch monitor. (and didnt tell his wife about it)
 :noid

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »
I believe there is a topic floating around here of someone who got a 40 inch monitor. (and didnt tell his wife about it)
 :noid

Well that sure is a big help Tyrannis. Any idea who this might be?

Nutz :huh
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
dichotomy has a dual 42 inch setup, and wwhiskey just got a 40.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
Here is one of those little monitors you are talking about..

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,218117.0.html

and here is the post from WWhiskey on his recent purchase...

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,321421.msg4190913.html#msg4190913

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:20:09 AM »

Many thanks,
Nutz

There are larger monitors but they're obscenely pricey. Then again if you're a millionaire go for it!

A TV is usually a very poor choice for gaming due to their input lag which can be (depending on model) ten times higher than in a real monitor. This will make your shots miss because everything you see on screen moves already further in reality -> you're aiming at the point where the enemy *used to be* not where he is.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »
How about one of these:devil
Oculus Rift user.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:33 AM »
Go with a dedicated 32" monitor (or bigger if it exists) or go 40" TV? If TV, what would be some of your recommendations?
AFAIK the current TV sets only support Full HD resolution 1920×1080 except the Philips Cinema 2560 x 1080p, whereas monitors can do WXQGA 2560×1600 or even better. There are computer display standards for much higher resolutions, but hardly no devices yet. The Wiki mentions IBM T220/221 monitors having used a very high resolution (found other brands, too), but they were only 22 inches. For that size the pixels are about half of that compared to normal monitors, so the picture would have more details in a certain area. If you could double the size with a big magnifying fresnel lens, such a monitor would equivalent an 44 inch normal one with standard quality picture. I guess...

After reading the above it looks like you'd better get a 30+ inch new one with 2560x1600, they cost about the same as a used T220 without the lens hassle. Or a 56" Quad Full HD one @ 3840 x 2160 for about $ 50.000...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »
i don't know whether input lag is an issue anymore or not, there are several of people around here using tv's as monitors without issue. the lowly 32in 720p monitor i bought recently isn't one of the top line toshibas but, i connected my game system to it via dvi to hdmi and played a few games including 30 minutes in ah, i didn't notice any issues with response time. it does have a mode that allow a faster response time and wsxga resolutions at 60hz. i wouldn't advise even trying it with a cheap store brand though.
jarhed  

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:10 AM »
I run a 42 inch 1920x1080 lcd TV the native resolution is 60hrzs.. That means with vertical sync locked I get a solid 60 FPS in aces high and 56-60 in Il2 stermovick. Just make sure it has VGB hdmi and dvi inputs ..

This is the best thing I ever did for my flight siming enjoyment. If you can... buy a 42"+ TV and a track Ir ..

I got the lcd TV  5 years ago... cost me $... Now you can get a 42 inch 1920x1080 lcd for $700 and up.. They are very cheap at this time...

Here is the monitor in the current man cave..

To give you some scale.. pre man cave.. Its good for skinning too..

I highly recommend the upgrade combined with a track Ir.... short icons or no icons become a non issue...This stuff is very affordale now days.... go for it ...:aok :aok
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:30:45 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:32:58 AM »
Ever try turning that projector around and just using the wall for AH, Raven?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:36:52 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:20 AM »
Yes my wife and kids frown upon that :uhoh... But I do a race sim on the big screen w/o turning the room upside down :D

I don't dig the projector with the flight sim.. It looks and sounds fantastic at 120 inches on the big screen and the surround sound it the room.. But something is off with the timing,aim and playability..I Cant put my finger on it. I may revisit it at some point. The 42 inch is the sweet spot for my situation anyway..
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »
my 40 is an LED,  I have no problem with lag or anything else
I got it at sears for $700  it is 1080  with 1920 res
their are some out there with DVI ports, but they are hard to find in this size so I  use a DVI to HDMI  block, it plugs into my computer and you hook the hdmi cable to it,
 my "bargain" card didn't have an HDMI plug  but it still seems to work just fine  the adapter block is around $25 at any electronics store, no big deal!
 on my next rebuild, i will be making sure the card has HDMI tho
Flying since tour 71.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
whiskey, you paid $25 for a dvi/hdmi adapter?  :confused:  yikes.

i bought a full cable for under $10...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MWE1E

depending on what video card you buy next and when you buy it, you may need to buy one of these instead...
http://www.amazon.com/High-Quality-Black-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B002CSRF9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318344104&sr=1-1
jarhed  

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »
whiskey, you paid $25 for a dvi/hdmi adapter?  :confused:  yikes.

i bought a full cable for under $10...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MWE1E

depending on what video card you buy next and when you buy it, you may need to buy one of these instead...
http://www.amazon.com/High-Quality-Black-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B002CSRF9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318344104&sr=1-1

I already had one, but noticed the gold plated ones at some place i was passing thru for $25   I had a card with HDMI ports on it before but that card quit on me and the card i have now was just one I had laying around,
an ATI 4650 i think  maybe a 4550,,, not sure  it worked fine  so i never got around to ordering a new one,   and soon I am going to rebuild my computer and I haven't got a clue what i am going to put in it next time!
Flying since tour 71.