Author Topic: 32 inch. Is this the biggest?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 32 inch. Is this the biggest?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
i don't know whether input lag is an issue anymore or not, there are several of people around here using tv's as monitors without issue.

On AH only, probably not. But if you play FPS games it is a big deal, even on "real" monitors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMVN_ZGqLc
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
ripley, that video is 2+ years old. but i see where there could be an issue, mostly with consoles connected to older hdtv's.

however, i did some deeper digging around and input lag is not an issue when the hdtv is connected to a computer. all of the subprocesses on the television that would normally cause the problem are negated by the video card, when connected to the hdmi or vga port.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
My son plays on a tv, 38 or40 inch. He uses the picture in picture to watch tv, and plays games on the big screen. COD run smooth with no lag that I can see.

He's a geek, so if there were ANY lag he wouldn't put up with it, so it must be good.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
ripley, that video is 2+ years old. but i see where there could be an issue, mostly with consoles connected to older hdtv's.

however, i did some deeper digging around and input lag is not an issue when the hdtv is connected to a computer. all of the subprocesses on the television that would normally cause the problem are negated by the video card, when connected to the hdmi or vga port.

Well I recently tried a laptop in our 40" Sony HDTV and even in 'game' mode it lagged visibly behind. The TV is 1 year old.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
My son plays on a tv, 38 or40 inch. He uses the picture in picture to watch tv, and plays games on the big screen. COD run smooth with no lag that I can see.

He's a geek, so if there were ANY lag he wouldn't put up with it, so it must be good.

The only way to see input lag is to set up a faster screen (crt basically) next to it and clone the display. You'll notice that whatever movements you make on the screen happen instantly on the crt and with visible delay on the LCD screen (well, on most cases that is). You can't see input lag while looking at just 1 screen - it's there but you won't detect it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
Well I recently tried a laptop in our 40" Sony HDTV and even in 'game' mode it lagged visibly behind. The TV is 1 year old.

What kind of video card did the laptop have? That may have caused the issue.

As for my my sons system, if you can't see the lag what is the issue? If it created an issue when he played his games it would be fixed. Money is not an issue, but playing his game well is :)

As I said. His tv works great for games. Clean, clear, and quick with no blurring.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »
What kind of video card did the laptop have? That may have caused the issue.

As for my my sons system, if you can't see the lag what is the issue? If it created an issue when he played his games it would be fixed. Money is not an issue, but playing his game well is :)

As I said. His tv works great for games. Clean, clear, and quick with no blurring.

The issue is that if a fast moving object shows on your screen 0,2 seconds later you won't realize it but in real life this happens:

Your tv screen: ----------------
Object in it:      ---*------------
Your tv shows:  ------*---------
You aim:          ------*--------- which is a miss.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
That's what I'm saying. My son is a geek with more money than he needs. If his gaming experience was suffering due to any lag of would be fixed even if it meant throwing $5000 at it for a better tv/ monitor.

So seeing as he hasn't, I'm pretty sure the lag is negligible. Being 25, single, and a geek leaves lots of room for his gaming. I believe your information on "tvs as monitors" is old and no longer relevant as long as your talking a descent quality tv.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
 I've been using a 47in LG lcd for about 6 months now,I was going to get a 55 in but found it was too big for the distance I sit from it and this might have caused an issue if I ever get trackIR.

I have a clone setup with a 24 in widescreen monitor and checked to see if there was any input lag as mentioned and if there is I couldnt notice it.

I use the vga input as my vidcard doesnt have hdmi. Be advised even if the screen says it's 120hz/240hz it will only run at 60 hz in pc mode,mine happens to be 3d  but I only got it because the $$$$ was right and a non 3d screen with same specs was actually more money at the time.

If you really interested in trying this,go to a small AV store and ask them to plug a pc into the screen and watch it yourself,most the bigbox stores wont do this as it's"too much trouble".

You wont get the fine resolution of a PC monitor,limited to 1920x1080 but your pixel size will be larger and you'll see "enemy dots" long before most others will.This has been a huge help to me with my poor eyesight.

YMMV.

:salute

PS: I can tell what plane is what at more than 2K out now and even what direction it's going,couldnt do this with the 24 inch screen at any resolution.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
That's what I'm saying. My son is a geek with more money than he needs. If his gaming experience was suffering due to any lag of would be fixed even if it meant throwing $5000 at it for a better tv/ monitor.

So seeing as he hasn't, I'm pretty sure the lag is negligible. Being 25, single, and a geek leaves lots of room for his gaming. I believe your information on "tvs as monitors" is old and no longer relevant as long as your talking a descent quality tv.

I agree even with a 5 year old LCD TV I have no issues..

Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »
I believe your information on "tvs as monitors" is old and no longer relevant as long as your talking a descent quality tv.

And I believe you just don't have information whatsoever. End of story.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »

Oh that's right your the guy who's never wrong. Everyone else hasn't a clue.

LOL good luck with that, while the rest of us move forward and except new ideas, and advancements.

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
FWIW, here's an article comparing the old Dell 3008WFP (that I use) to the new Dell U3011 (2011 model).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u3011.htm#gaming

The article describes both Responsiveness (improved from 8ms to 7ms) & Input Lag (improved from 35ms to 24.4ms), along with a few comparisons with other models.

I can't say I notice any of this when playing on the old 2008 model, but it's obviously measurable and a good excuse for why my gunnery is so shocking!
Oculus Rift user.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
just so you know, though you're right that it is and has been a factor, you're not totally correct.

http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=3012

please read the entire article. i don't own an lg tv but, that article along with other sources i found in my digging, does validate what myself and others using hdtv's for monitors are saying. that article also shows how people can avoid the problem.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
for what its worth..Just some info from personal experience. RE:The setion in the article Gyrene81 refers to about  using VGA as a work around..... I can validate in my instance as true. That is how I have always connected... not because of lag but because for some reason  I have more resolution choices than i do with hdmi or dvi.. guess I lucked out and avoided lag issues because of it..
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi