Author Topic: Bf 110 vs P-38  (Read 9135 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Bf 110 vs P-38
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
Soo.... the 110 has about the same wing area, maybe a little bit less, flaps are of about equal size, it weighs about the same...... But they don't seem to turn the same.

Why is the P-38 so superior to the 110? Is it a matter of horse power, stability, what?

Note: this isn't really about the 110 compared to the P-38, just about the P-38 in general. I'm curious as to what makes it such a dangerous fighter.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
Re: Bf 110 vs P-38
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
moin

i think one importent point is that the 2 engines of the 110 are running to the same side and at the p38 one turns left and one turns right, thats importent for its manöverability.

other impotant point are the bad aerodynamick of the 11o, the 410 is much better.

cu christian

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
110 is a great turnfighter. Even the G, as long as it has speed.
In the sustained turn the 38 wins couse it has more powerful engines. In the instanteous the 110 feels better for me.
AoM
City of ice

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
Excess thrust are key words you want to search for to get right into one of the biggest factors for net dogfighting agility.  E.G. in the following thread, in and around Stoney's posts.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,305801.0.html

And then on top of the above metrics you have the P-38's torquelessness like Chris says, and flap design. 

Re: the 410's better aerodynamics - they can't be that much better when so much extra horsepower amounted to so little extra speed.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,299977.0.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:08:42 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
410 aerodynamics: for me, theese two planes look very simmiar, not counting the double tail on the 110 and the cut down nose on the 410. Idk about their aerofoils tho, but the upper wiew and the profile is quite simmilar too.
AoM
City of ice

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
Soo.... the 110 has about the same wing area, maybe a little bit less, flaps are of about equal size, it weighs about the same...... But they don't seem to turn the same.

Why is the P-38 so superior to the 110? Is it a matter of horse power, stability, what?

Note: this isn't really about the 110 compared to the P-38, just about the P-38 in general. I'm curious as to what makes it such a dangerous fighter.

I have never considered the 38 "dangerous" only in the hands of a great stick does it become worth a second thought, they are actually very easy to kill....but that's because I fly a fighter not a bomber :t

I know the 38 drivers like to think that plane is so awesome, (and in certain roles it is)  it has really only one great thing going for it, its climb.....other then that its mediocre.....I would post some films up of how to kill one...but don't wanna embarrass the stick. :D

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
noob to average P-38 sticks are quite easy to beat, I agree. But you don't know whos flying, so you gotta treat them carefully
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Debrody look into the thread I linked above.  In it Tango teaches me pretty transparently about what you're guessing at.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
noob to average P-38 sticks are quite easy to beat, I agree. But you don't know whos flying, so you gotta treat them carefully

I can tell right away if someone is gonna put up a fight or not, I never treat anything "carefully" I am here to fight, so I go by initial situation on to how I will react, from there just work into position to get a kill without being put into there guns....

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
what I mean is that you can't get sloppy, and go at them with less E before you know if they're noob, or ace, or you might end up regreting it very quickly.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »

I have never considered the 38 "dangerous" only in the hands of a great stick does it become worth a second thought, they are actually very easy to kill....but that's because I fly a fighter not a bomber :t

I know the 38 drivers like to think that plane is so awesome, (and in certain roles it is)  it has really only one great thing going for it, its climb.....other then that its mediocre.....I would post some films up of how to kill one...but don't wanna embarrass the stick. :D
hey, i fly the 38!  :furious jerk.  :mad:

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
Debrody look into the thread I linked above.  In it Tango teaches me pretty transparently about what you're guessing at.
rgr ty
AoM
City of ice

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 05:32:02 PM »
what I mean is that you can't get sloppy, and go at them with less E before you know if they're noob, or ace, or you might end up regreting it very quickly.

of course you can...I attack them regardless of their E state.....Ill try to make a video of just 38 kills.

hey, i fly the 38!  :furious jerk.  :mad:

:rofl

and I don't hold that against ya :D

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
38's are sorta a rare breed in AH to me.  I usually see them as very easy kill, and the twinboom or akak takes one up, and it doesnt matter what I fly I die.  Kinda like greebo wasting me in an am63.  It's all about how you use it.  and these (and many more) have apparently unlocked the mystery of flying them successfully.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 11:12:35 PM »
The P38 to me is all about judging your E and your enemy's. Against most planes, you only need equal E or a slight advantage to make mincemeat out of them. If you know your E and your enemy's, then you already won half the battle.

Things to spot for are:

Planes that just finished a loop
Planes that just did a break turn
Planes on top of a yo-yo
Planes in scissors
Planes that has full flaps out

And of course many more, but those are the big hints that say "I have no E, come kill me".
I like to consider myself a slightly above average P38 pilot, perhaps not near TwinBoom's level, but better than most guys.

The P38 turns well because it's not as nose heavy as the 110G as well as other factors already mentioned. 4x 50Cals and 1x Hispano is a lot less heavy than 2x Mk108s and 2x MG151/20.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp