Author Topic: You wonder why Special Events are lacking here  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
You wonder why Special Events are lacking here
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »
History....or lack therof.  Some of us who thrive on special events would like to have a chance of getting
a planeset filled.  I know the MA is where the money is at.  But I've also noticed the numbers falling
in FSO and Scenarios.  No support.  We get a B29....LOL.  Hey...guess that is democracy in action.

I guess I'm in the minority......I guess first person shooters prevail today, even in so called flight sims.

I am disappointed to say that we who do like historic events are in the minority.

That's why we don't get aircraft like the Beaufighter and He111.  We get the B29, Yak3 or Me 410 or Meteor ferchrisakes.
Unfortunately that is why I've given up on special events.  No support.  Notice MA numbers down also.  Could be economy
or just letting the game become another first person shooter.  Not my call though, majority and popularity bring home the bucks.

One mans opinion of course.

- The Flying Circus -

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: You wonder why Special Events are lacking here
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »
i take it you have a bit of a gripe about the glaring holes in the planeset...specifically the early war. unfortunately the 10% who agree aren't enough to change the mentality of the other 90%.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
History....or lack therof.  Some of us who thrive on special events would like to have a chance of getting
a planeset filled.  I know the MA is where the money is at.  But I've also noticed the numbers falling
in FSO and Scenarios.  No support.  We get a B29....LOL.  Hey...guess that is democracy in action.

I guess I'm in the minority......I guess first person shooters prevail today, even in so called flight sims.

I am disappointed to say that we who do like historic events are in the minority.

That's why we don't get aircraft like the Beaufighter and He111.  We get the B29, Yak3 or Me 410 or Meteor ferchrisakes.
Unfortunately that is why I've given up on special events.  No support.  Notice MA numbers down also.  Could be economy
or just letting the game become another first person shooter.  Not my call though, majority and popularity bring home the bucks.

One mans opinion of course.

Hajo,

I agree with you to a certain degree. Knowing that Hitech must pay the bills just like the rest of us. Their resource planning and management must be a bit more targetted than just accommodating a popular whim. But, there must be away to seperate the two, one being the popular ride request and two being the historical planeset buildout. I am not pretending to have all the answers. But, I am recognizing your request has great merit.

Also, I hope that you didn't mean that special events is not getting the support from its patrons. The  current scenario "ECA" has current participation set at 99% for the Allies and 93% for the Axis. That is great support and following if you ask me.

Grab one of the last seats. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers...

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
Gyrene yes I am disappointed.  Not by one instance but by many.  My history.  I've been involved almost
20 years...maybe more...memory gone.  I participated in AW in the early 90s when this was new.

The history of the airwar and the pilots drew me to flight simming then (as well as the aircraft)
If you've been around this game as long as I have you would notice a significant drop in numbers.
Why?  My theory.....this is nothing now but a first person shooter using WWII aircraft and tanks
as weapons as opposed to lasers etc.  There is no history involved in the MA which is nothing more
then a full melee arena to be found in quake or Doom.  Scenarios are and were the last hope of having
some true immersion.  Numbers down in scenarios too.  Why?  First person shooter fans want nothing to
do with immersion, planning and executing by plan.  They want the lastest greatest that can kill and get points
as fast as they can.  Sims involve and require immersion.  This is not a sim.  It has become a first person shooter.

When a new first person shooter comes out....they will gravitate there until they get bored with that.
First person shooter gratification is only temporary.  Numbers have decreased here.  Boredom?
In my case yes...and I'll bet in many other cases also.

And sweariam.....wait till you see of the registered how many actually show up.
Been there done that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:41:39 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »
I haven't seen that much of a change in scenario participation except for Coral Sea 2011, but I think that was because we tried to run too many scenarios in one year (4 instead of 2-3 -- it was too many).

Historical participation in scenarios, showing both # of registered players and the # of players actually playing is as follows.  The average is about 150-200 players (except for late-war 8th AF, which is typically about twice as popular as that).

In the upcoming scenario, Enemy Coast Ahead, the planes we want are in the scenario.  We don't have anything like Ju 88's substituting for He 111's or Zeros substituting for Ki-43's.

Hajo, you need to play in it, you curmudgeon! :)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »
Brooke my friend CMS do a helluva lot of work to put these  Scenarios together.  The map makers are incredible.
The designers work very hard and do a thankless job.  Not to mention you paint a picture with the needed
colors to complete it not available most times.  You good folks are appreciated very much by me. And by
many others.  It's been what 12 years now here at Aces High?  the flight models are the best I've seen for
flight simming.......the artwork is great........I just wish the scenario people would get an aircraft other then
the latest greatest for events.  It would make the scenarios so much more immersive specially early war and
the Med.  The B25 was a great addition for events....the straffer for Island hoppingwould be fun etc. in the
Pacific campaigns.  IMHO planesets filled for scenarios would make them more attractive.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:13:26 AM »
Thank you, Hajo.  We want you flying in Enemy Coast Ahead, you know. :)

My wishlist for planes:

He 111  (Important for Battle of Britain)
Yak 1 (For Eastern Front)
D4Y (Most-produced Japanese dive bomber, taking over for early-war D3A)
B6N (Most-produced Japanese torpedo bomber, taking over for the early-war B5N)
Pe-2 (Most-produced Soviet attack plane other than Il-2, for Eastern Front)
TBD (important for Battle of Coral Sea)
Ki-43 (historically important Japanese fighter)
Beaufighter (would be a very fun plane in scenarios, I think)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »
i'd like to see some early war migs and laggs...especially for eastern front setups.
jarhed  

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
The largest production of the earlier-war Soviet planes in order were:  Yak-1, LaGG-3, then Mig 3.  Of the three, the Mig 3 is at a huge disadvantage because of its underpowered guns.

Yak-1, 8720
Yak-7, 6339
LaGG-3, 6258
La-7, 5753
P-39, 5007 (from US)
Yak-3, 4848
MiG-3, 3120

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
Can you through the Curtiss P-36C Hawk in there.

- Battle of France

- North Africa

Cheers...
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
For very early stuff, a Hawk and a D.520 would be nice.  We could do Operation Torch as a scenario.

I run Operation Torch as a "This Day in WWII" event on its anniversary on November 8 -- so, coming up.  I  use P-40C as the Hawk and Bf 109E as the D.520.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
IMO, if you would actually add some GV's, you could get some more registered. Its a lot easier to glorify a blitzkrieg across northern france, or Russia, than it is to glorify the aerial wars fought over each of the ground offensive.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
For very early stuff, a Hawk and a D.520 would be nice.  We could do Operation Torch as a scenario.

I run Operation Torch as a "This Day in WWII" event on its anniversary on November 8 -- so, coming up.  I  use P-40C as the Hawk and Bf 109E as the D.520.

Hey Brooke,

Check out the Macchi 202 as a replacement for the D.520. The specs are pretty close. I know... No canon on the C202, but the two 12.7 mm will make up for the single 20mm on Dewoitine.  :D

:salute
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:02:25 PM by swareiam »

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »
IMO, if you would actually add some GV's, you could get some more registered. Its a lot easier to glorify a blitzkrieg across northern france, or Russia, than it is to glorify the aerial wars fought over each of the ground offensive.

:huh

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
uhhh, yyyeeeaaaaahhh riiiiight...you weren't in the last scenario with tanks were you? it ended in a massive whinefest, seems tankers don't think they should have bombs dropped on them. and i hate to drop urine on your pipe dream but, there aren't enough people that want to participate in a single life gv event with limited choices.
jarhed