Author Topic: Lasers  (Read 860 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Lasers
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
Why?   They used them to perfection.    Apple created three Mac Systems that were unavailable to the Public, specifically to use for the Tour (fastest CPU's from the R&D dept.).    Those two shows are still the loudest concerts I have ever been too and I have seen plenty.   Gilmour's intro to "Sorrow" went through your chest like a scalpel through butter.    

Marc Brickman is the premier Stage Builder in the World.    He makes the impossible happen and caters to the artists.    

There is nothing wrong with the show. I'm thinking about all the pilots that that TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) gave trouble too. 50 miles radios is a large area, you can't just fly around it. And since TFRs are not always there there is a possibility that someone did not know about it, in that case it's possible that someone could have have their licence suspended for a few month by flying in that area.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the show. I'm thinking about all the pilots that that TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) gave trouble too. 50 miles radios is a large area, you can't just fly around it. And since TFRs are not always there there is a possibility that someone did not know about it, in that case it's possible that someone could have have their licence suspended for a few month by flying in that area.

At the designated times, they enforced the no fly-over.    For the rest of the show, the planes went about their business.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 02:43:44 AM »
the lock up the spray paint, but the lazer are easily sold out of ice cream trucks.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 02:57:21 AM »
At the designated times, they enforced the no fly-over.    For the rest of the show, the planes went about their business.

They could not have known the exact time the laser would have been used to it's possible the TFR to up a significant period of time.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »
They could not have known the exact time the laser would have been used to it's possible the TFR to up a significant period of time.

The lasers were only used during 1 or 2 songs and yes, their shows did NOT vary in length.    The link I posted explains it and also informs you of how powerful the Copper color laser was.....

But yes, during those one or two songs, no Air Traffic in the vicinity (I do not know the exact figure) because of how powerful they were.  

Edit:  "With a similar divergence to argon lasers, a Copper Vapour laser beam keeps it's size for long distances. One consequence of this is that when the tour is playing at open air venues and is projecting unterminated beams, it has to work with local Air Traffic Control to declare an exclusion zone around the stadium."   Mind you almost 1/2-3/4's of the venues............were open air.   

They used these exact lasers to remove the "twinkling of stars" in pictures, because of the disruptive "atmosphere" they caused.    As far as I know, Pink Floyd were the only ones to ever use this "potent" of a laser.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:12:43 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »
I just don't have enough information to continue a factual discussion, without that it would just be us saying "yes" and "no". My opinion that I stated on the previous page is very biased.

Information that I'd like to have in order to discuss this:
- Requirements to issue a TFR, specifically how far in advance you need to request it
- How specific was the plan for the show, could it have been delayed by a few minutes or did it have to start at the exact second as planned
- How far in advance that TFR was actually issued
- How long was that TFR issued for
- The amount of aircraft that normally fly though that area in the time span the TFR was issued for
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
I just don't have enough information to continue a factual discussion, without that it would just be us saying "yes" and "no". My opinion that I stated on the previous page is very biased.

Information that I'd like to have in order to discuss this:
- Requirements to issue a TFR, specifically how far in advance you need to request it
- How specific was the plan for the show, could it have been delayed by a few minutes or did it have to start at the exact second as planned
- How far in advance that TFR was actually issued
- How long was that TFR issued for
- The amount of aircraft that normally fly though that area in the time span the TFR was issued for

Uhh, that much thought doesn't happen even today. You're basing your keystrokes on some big assumptions without considering the world of aviation in even the 1990s was very different than the post 9/11 we know today.

Laser shows are common enough and themselves aren't a big deal as their lasers aren't aimed at and track aircraft like the criminals mentioned earlier.

You're thinking too much and not enough at the same time it seems.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 05:52:26 AM »
Uhh, that much thought doesn't happen even today. You're basing your keystrokes on some big assumptions without considering the world of aviation in even the 1990s was very different than the post 9/11 we know today.

Laser shows are common enough and themselves aren't a big deal as their lasers aren't aimed at and track aircraft like the criminals mentioned earlier.

You're thinking too much and not enough at the same time it seems.

Your right, I was not thinking about the time period at all.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 05:52:26 AM »
I've never seen a TFR specifically for a laser show either. Just a NOTAM. That seems to work fine.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 05:55:37 AM »
I've never seen a TFR specifically for a laser show either. Just a NOTAM. That seems to work fine.

...and I also assumed that it was a TFR when he said "FAA required a 50 mile radius around", very likely it was just a NOTAM.

I guess I can take back everything I said in this thread.  :bhead
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »
Really? How powerful does it need to be?
I'd think such a powerful laser would be too expensive for a normal person. 

1000 milliwatt green laser pointer is 50 bucks from China, free shipping.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
Has anyone ever looked at a laser beam through night vision binoculars? It looks like something out of star wars :rofl

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
Has anyone ever looked at a laser beam through night vision binoculars? It looks like something out of star wars :rofl
ill be right back :lol
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
Electrochromic Glass: Instant Darkening

Velux has developed electrochromic glass that darkens instantly when you flip a switch. Available now with additional sizes to be offered later this year, the glass works by applying an electric current to its special layers, which then turn dark, blocking out sunlight and its associated heat. Perfect for skylights, with this technology you can do away with shades and blinds, letting you electronically control when it's dark in your room and when it's not.

http://gizmodo.com/190931/electrochromic-glass-instant-darkening

Using something like this with embedded light sensors, and possibly even the ability to manipulate individual cells would be a great way to block this out and have a minimal amount of light slip through.  As the US military is using similar technology (Optical Laser) in weapons development for both Anti-Aircraft and Crowd Control purposes, I'd say development of a countermeasure won't be far behind...  I'm sure our systems will be made in China, so we'll be sure to see whomever we're fighting next using them on us.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
THESE LASERS ARE SERIOUS watch what this one does to 23 balloons. now put it in your eye...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680xwwEs7Lg