Author Topic: P-39D  (Read 1273 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: P-39D
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 07:28:19 AM »
No flaps? I would guess the Yak. The 39 Becomes very unstable at low airspeeds with no flaps, It has a nasty snap roll.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
No flaps? I would guess the Yak. The 39 Becomes very unstable at low airspeeds with no flaps, It has a nasty snap roll.
Yah i have noticed that trying to do some full-stall landings
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
Yah i have noticed that trying to do some full-stall landings

Yeh, need to watch those. Flare too early and you'll roll left right into the ground.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
Yeh, need to watch those. Flare too early and you'll roll left right into the ground.
yah that has happened to me before either that or i land to hard and collapse the front nose wheel  :bhead
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
yah that has happened to me before either that or i land to hard and collapse the front nose wheel  :bhead

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the front wheel was a bit of a problem with the 39's, the strut wasn't really up to repeated landings on rough front line fields and a collapse nose gear wasn't uncommon.  I'll flip through some of the books on the 'ol shelf and see if I can find a quote.

If you like flying the P-39 I heavily recommend reading "Nanette" by Edwards Park who flew P-39's (I think his was an N model)with the 41st Fighter Squadron, 35th Fighter Group in New Guinea.  It's practically required reading in the 80th here these days.

Can be found online at Abebook.com for as little as $3-$5.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the front wheel was a bit of a problem with the 39's, the strut wasn't really up to repeated landings on rough front line fields and a collapse nose gear wasn't uncommon.  I'll flip through some of the books on the 'ol shelf and see if I can find a quote.

If you like flying the P-39 I heavily recommend reading "Nanette" by Edwards Park who flew P-39's (I think his was an N model)with the 41st Fighter Squadron, 35th Fighter Group in New Guinea.  It's practically required reading in the 80th here these days.

Can be found online at Abebook.com for as little as $3-$5.

Thanks for the Book tip Soulyss  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
Thanks for the Book tip Soulyss  :salute

Hope ya like it. :)

Nanette isn't heavy on historical details, in fact in the forward the author says the following.

Practically everything in this book actually happened, so it's not really a novel. Yet the people and events have been altered, so you can't call it a non-fiction.  It's an Exaggeration.

Rather than paint the familiar picture of the dashing fighter pilot full of daring and bravado instead we see a simple citizen soldier who thinks he probably would have washed out in the more rigorous  pre-war flight training and who goes into combat in something approaching blind panic.  It's a great read.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
And he loves his P-39.  Best fighter pilot book ever.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Hope ya like it. :)

Nanette isn't heavy on historical details, in fact in the forward the author says the following.

Rather than paint the familiar picture of the dashing fighter pilot full of daring and bravado instead we see a simple citizen soldier who thinks he probably would have washed out in the more rigorous  pre-war flight training and who goes into combat in something approaching blind panic.  It's a great read.

I hope I can get it on my Kindle.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »

To show you the impact of that book on me anyway, which I read for the first time in about 1980.  Guppy is the name of Edwards Park's buddy who flew 38s.  35 references the 35th FG they were both part of, Guppy with the 39th FS and Park in the 41st FS. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

Sadly, no.  Or at least, not yet.

- oldman

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »
And he loves his P-39.  Best fighter pilot book ever.

Seconded!