Author Topic: Squad scores  (Read 867 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Squad scores
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
I have a question perhaps folks can answer.

Why are squads with one active player even included as a squad for rankings/scores, etc.? It would seem that the whole idea of a squad is a team or a group that is able to perform well. It would seem that having single player squads makes no sense at all. Just makes the stats totally useless, making the effort to create them totally useless.

It would seem that the lowest bar for a squad would be two active members. Anyone with less could still be a squad but not appear in rankings and scoring as a squad. That way the folks who want to see, "<yournamehere> landed X kills of <yournamehere> squad" could still see their name in lights.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Squad scores
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
Squads with less than 2 members are invalidated in the top 25 rankings. I don't know why they aren't removed, I assume it's a cost vs benefit issue. You need 2 people to start a squad but it seems you can maintain the squad with one person although I don't know if that's for more than one tour. A squad with 2 -32 people but only 1 active member would effectively be the same as a one member squad so I don't see what could easily be done about a single player's score competing with an actual squad score.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:00:00 PM by FLS »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:06 AM »
You need 2 people to start a squad but it seems you can maintain the squad with one person although

You can not only maintain a squad indefinitely, you don't even a second player to start one. I have always started my "squad" alone. The only reason why I have one is to prevent those annoying squad invites from popping up, which was (probably still is) unaffected by ".showjoin"
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:53 AM »
You can not only maintain a squad indefinitely, you don't even a second player to start one. I have always started my "squad" alone. The only reason why I have one is to prevent those annoying squad invites from popping up, which was (probably still is) unaffected by ".showjoin"

Thanks Lusche. I always thought you needed 2 but I've never tried to start one.  :salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »
They show up as "Invalid" in the lists to remind the player the squad is not valid, with less than two people in it.

Why does it bother you?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:45:27 AM »
Skuzzy they only show as invalid in the top 25 rankings. Some people like to look at scores and ranks. Isn't that why we have them?  If you care enough to look at them you want them to be accurate.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
Some people like to look at scores and ranks. Isn't that why we have them?  If you care enough to look at them you want them to be accurate.

But as much as I like all stats & scores, I can not help from finding the Squad Scores the most mysterious and least meaningful of them all.

Ok, second most mysterious after the bomber landed damage values in the text buffer  :lol
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
But as much as I like all stats & scores, I can not help from finding the Squad Scores the most mysterious and least meaningful of them all.

Ok, second most mysterious after the bomber landed damage values in the text buffer  :lol

I keep score with my fun meter.  :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »
Skuzzy they only show as invalid in the top 25 rankings. Some people like to look at scores and ranks. Isn't that why we have them?  If you care enough to look at them you want them to be accurate.

I do not understand what you are saying here.  I do not see the purpose of blocking a person from seeing their own squad score, regardless of the state of the squad.

If the squads were shown in scores like they are in ranks, then I would understand.

So I am still wondering why the heartburn about this?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
No heartburn, just explaining the issue. Invalid squads with just 1 member are listed in the rankings excepting the first 25 positions. A person in a valid squad, tracking their squad ranking, who wants to compare with other valid squads, will not see an accurate ranking. They would have to check every squad above them for number of members to see if their ranking actually moved up, down or stayed the same.

Maybe I'm missing the reason why some squads are marked invalid in the top 25 but should be able to see their rank when they rank lower? If you don't have anyone else in your squad you can still see your individual ranking and that's a more appropriate metric for an individual.

I agree it's not a big deal. The issue is simply that single player squads skew the squad rankings and there are players who care about this.