Author Topic: Rolaids  (Read 359 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Rolaids
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »

back in the day when I used to think I would live forever..and ate anything I wanted.... I used to consider Rolaids part of my normal diet...

then they came out with the chewable soft ones..which had this creamy..almost.. after dinner mint texture..making it even more fun for me to have no problem eating hot Italian sausage at 11pm....

well...about a year ago...they voluntarily took the chewable kind off the store shelves..as it was reported that some contained particles of wood or even metal in them.

so be it I thought.

then...all rolaids products vanished.

it's been a year.

I lived on these things for two decades.

they have been gone for a year........

my superior intellect and intelligence tells me....... somethin' may be up.

hold me?  I'm skeerd.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Rolaids
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
Check with your doctor to see if it's ok, but I have had great results with pepcid complete.  They have a little conventional antacid in them to help right away, then do the acid reduction thing for 24 hrs.  I didn't have to take them daily so even though they're a bit expensive, the cost worked out pretty close anyhow since I'd take one every once in a while.  Certainly more convenient than regular antacids.

But check with yer doc first...  Some medications aren't compatible.  If you have reflux, then this could help keep you from developing other problems too.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
i found something that seems to work just as well as regular antacids with none of the cautionary issues that can be encountered...papaya enzyme. takes a little longer to work than normal antacids, results last longer too.

seems there have been a rash of recalls on antacid products since last year...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2011-03-01-antacid-shortage_N.htm
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
Some of the acid reducers can cause side effects.  The one I took when I wasn't on flying duty is not allowed for pilots (dunno why since it is OTC now), and the 2 "legal" ones I can take both give me bad headaches if I take them before bed.  I'm having some luck taking them in the morning but I'm probably going to ask my doc to switch me until I find one that I can take whenever and not risk waking up with a severe headache every morning.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Rolaids are still made and sold. You must have a local boycott or something.
http://www.rolaids.com/

I have to take Prevacid from time to time. I'll make acid all night long and wake up with wicked heartburn and nausea. I missed tons of school as a kid and they thought I was faking it. Now, 1 Prevacid before bed and it's cured. :aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
Hot tap water with about a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.

Tastes kinda bad, but it's the best anti acid for immediate relief.  Plus it costs next to nothing.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
I really miss "rolaids rough ride of the week" segment of motoworld.