Author Topic: Puffy Ack Thoughts?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline SpinMan

• Zinc Member
Puffy Ack Thoughts?
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:14:36 AM »
Im sure this is here 100 times, can you devs please look into reducing the lethality, range and accuracy of puffy ack?  Most times you can be taken out by puffy flying over half a sector away to the point where the first you even know your near a fleet is the puffy bursts around you, you have at this point no vis even on the fleet.  Today I was half a sector away from a fleet in a 262 doing well over 300 mph, puffy started to blow around me I made several changes to altitude whilst attacking a flight of buffs, not once dropping below 300+ and pop I die!  the fleet had just come into long range view on the horizon!  This is rediculous can it please be addressed!

Appreciatedly yours,

Spin

Id like to hear others thoughts keep it as it is or reduce its range, accuracy and lethality?
Otto-Ghecko-Salamander-SpinMan

<<<Anyone Can Defend Themselves!  Only The Best Can Defend The Bombers>>>

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Puffy Ack Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:54:45 AM »
Agreed.  Puffy ack in the game is stupid.  It can take out a small 400 mph jet in one burst but can't hit large lumbering bombers with 50 shots.   :rolleyes:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline WYOKIDIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »
Bomber get hit just as much as anything if not more , they are just harder to kill with one large round .
Sooo....What , are those guys here to kill you because God forgot too ?

Hank Venture

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:14:58 AM »
Agreed...extremely to legal for the auto....I would like say no auto ack period either man or nothing
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:58:40 AM »
Bomber get hit just as much as anything if not more , they are just harder to kill with one large round .
Not really.

Ive flown b25s from 9k to as low as 3k, ive sunk 26 cvs flying b25s at 3k.

The puffy ack will miss the big-bad bombers. Ive seen CV's lanc-stuka'd, and even my own b25s will fly threw it with no problem.

Yet when it comes to fighters, the ack has no problem hitting them. So many times ive had my oil/radiator/PW/engine hit by flack while chasing an enemy plane over their cv.

Worst time was when i brought a 262 to a carrier battle, was trying to protect our carrier, saw the b17s sink our cv at 9k, didnt look like the flack even touched em. Chased the same buffs over their cv, ended up dieing from a PW from the first hit a puffy flak.

Flak couldn't hit those buffs that were going below 300 and a huge hitbox, but they sure didn't have a problem hitting a tiny 400mph+ jet.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:45:32 AM »
IN before "Puffy ack is fine, you guys just want the game easier." :paranoid

There's a difference between "easy" and "fun". Keep the manned guns, remove the retarded AI puffy.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
Perhaps change the Puffy and CV ACK where a plane cannot be hit by the first salvo at your plane.  More than once I was hit on the first salvo and the odds of this occurring seem astronomical.

This point is both reasonable (without a lot controversy) and an easier programming change.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:21:29 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:40 AM »
What I don't understand about puffy is why it targets a plane that is farther out than others.  You'd think it would target the closest target.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »
Im sure this is here 100 times

winner
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
from my understanding, puffy ack is deployed using a 'box' concept. Each plane has a designated box size and the puffy ack hits inside this box, the same amount each time... This means if the puffy ack is firing at a fighter, the box is smaller, but the amount of puffy shots is the same there by hitting fighters more often than bombers. This is because the bombers are much larger, leading to a larger box, but spreading the puffy out more, there by reducing the chances of a mortal wound to the bombers.

BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
from my understanding, puffy ack is deployed using a 'box' concept. Each plane has a designated box size and the puffy ack hits inside this box, the same amount each time... This means if the puffy ack is firing at a fighter, the box is smaller, but the amount of puffy shots is the same there by hitting fighters more often than bombers. This is because the bombers are much larger, leading to a larger box, but spreading the puffy out more, there by reducing the chances of a mortal wound to the bombers.

All planes are target the same regardless of size.
variables are speed, range and acceleration (in all directions).

The
What I don't understand about puffy is why it targets a plane that is farther out than others.  You'd think it would target the closest target.

This is incorrect, the closet plane is targeted.

HiTech

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
lol hitech, ty for fixing the puffy target everyone bug but here it goes again... I dont know how yall do it..Htc sure luvs their puffy..

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
Well I think redesigning how the puffy works could go a long way to reducing the complaints. I think (after my last chat with Pyro) the best structure would be to have puffy ack fire within an envelope that looks like a class B airspace.

I think having steps every 2000 feet (just like the wind settings) with an adjustable range, and lethality, for each step would be tremendous. This would eliminate most problems with ack shooting through hills without the overhead of collision detection.

Then I would add an additional factor to the size of the ack box. This pertains mostly to CV groups but could be applied to the strat citys and HQ's (and I think large airfields should have puffy ack). I think the ack box should get larger if the radars in the CV group are destroyed. So over a healthy CV group the box is as small as possible. Then for each of the 6 radars destroyed in a CV group the box would get some percentage larger.

Additionally I think the radar hardness needs a bump to make it more difficult to destroy, go from 250 lbs to something like 1200 lbs to take out the radar.

And one final thought, I think manned ack guns should have kill shooter on.   

Those are my $0.02 for making puffy ack better for the game.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
I think the only problem with puffy ack is its accuracy. One sortie I'm helping defending a base from a CV and making sure I stay below 3,000ft. I get in a fight with an F4U and accidentally climb over 3K for just 2 seconds, but in that 2 seconds I lose half my plane to the first two puffy shots.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »
it's not only enemy puffy ack that is the issue. 

I've been toasted 3 times by my own this month   :ahand
The Few ***
F.P.H