Author Topic: Puffy Ack Thoughts?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline coola4me

• Copper Member
Re: Puffy Ack Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 11:43:59 AM »
I have understood puffy ack to work like this: The faster a plane is traveling the smaller the "kill box" will be. For example if your in a set of lancs and your buddy is in say a 262 headed toward a cv. The 262 traveling at 375 IAS will have a smaller "kill box" as opposed to you doing 195 IAS. Smaller kill box would result in taking hits. Of course i may be way off on this.
CO. 172nd Rabid Dawgs
In Game Name: coola
Panties....not the greatest thing on Earth..... but next to it!!!     ME-YOW!!!

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
All planes are target the same regardless of size.
variables are speed, range and acceleration (in all directions).

HiTech

So does that mean the faster a target is going the more lethal the ack is?  Because that would make a lot of sense for why a 500mph 262 at 16,000ft is such an easy target for autoack?
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
Stop dragging us into your carrier ack, and we'll resolve that friendly fire downing you issue most eagerly and promptly, good sir.

thats the thing though I was fighting well away from CV,  it was firing on a BnZ P51 that didn't want to engage.    Timed the crack of puffy just when I was about to kill him on the overshoot.    :D

I'd rather have no auto ack puffy at all.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
I have understood puffy ack to work like this: The faster a plane is traveling the smaller the "kill box" will be. For example if your in a set of lancs and your buddy is in say a 262 headed toward a cv. The 262 traveling at 375 IAS will have a smaller "kill box" as opposed to you doing 195 IAS. Smaller kill box would result in taking hits. Of course i may be way off on this.

You have not understood correctly, faster = bigger box.

I.E. Faster = less chance of being hit.

HiTech

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
I've found that staying away from the water reduces the chances of being hit by puffy ack.  :old:
Lighten up Francis

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
Hitech,
Does the box grow when maneuvering as well?

Also, are the shells actually "fired" and have to travel to the hit box, or is the hitbox basically where the shells "land?"

If it's where the shells "land," like I'm imagining, I'm wondering if maneuvering doesn't seem to help avoid getting hit since you aren't maneuvering away from the shell is being fired.

In other words, if the hit box where to lag behind the aircraft's acceleration in any given direction, it could emulate the time it takes a shell to travel from the muzzle to the aircraft since you can't steer the shell once it's been fired.  This way, the box would stay more concentrated on big lumbering targets, but would have a harder time tracking the smaller and more nimble ones, particularly in radical direction changes, like in dogfights.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
Hitech stated in last months Puffy Ack thread, that the box will increase in size if you are maneuvering. Also, HTC has stated that the shells are not fired, they just spawn in the box.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:22 PM »
Hitech stated in last months Puffy Ack thread, that the box will increase in size if you are maneuvering. Also, HTC has stated that the shells are not fired, they just spawn in the box.

That's kind of what I figured it would do, plus I think I had heard that before, I just wanted to make sure this was actually what I was recalling.  :)
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline SpinMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 01:21:15 AM »
You have not understood correctly, faster = bigger box.

I.E. Faster = less chance of being hit.

HiTech

So in the case of losing my 262 to puffy, over 20k, over 300kias, above cloud out of vis range of the fleet diving repeatedly on buffs, having just made 1 pass, at that range not flying straight and level, I assumed id be nigh on impossible to hit!  By the 2nd pass I was a gonner!  Whats the percentage chance of that shot hitting in say a real world situation?  Is the AH modelling close to realistic in this instance and many more like it?  We dont expect perfect, but many of us do expect a good go on realism.  We sure could use some detune on the puffy and 5", but at least 5" and the rest of the guns require "Visual" range, you fly in their range ya know your taking a risk, this puffy has literally hounded me out of a sector lol!
Otto-Ghecko-Salamander-SpinMan

<<<Anyone Can Defend Themselves!  Only The Best Can Defend The Bombers>>>

Offline SpinMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 01:24:30 AM »

ooo this makes alot of sence as to why it is so lethal!  Getting accurate modelling on something like this im sure is a pain and a half.  Turn it off until ya figure out a better way:)  thanks for the pulpit!
Otto-Ghecko-Salamander-SpinMan

<<<Anyone Can Defend Themselves!  Only The Best Can Defend The Bombers>>>

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »

So in the case of losing my 262 to puffy, over 20k, over 300kias, above cloud out of vis range of the fleet diving repeatedly on buffs, having just made 1 pass, at that range not flying straight and level, I assumed id be nigh on impossible to hit!  By the 2nd pass I was a gonner!  Whats the percentage chance of that shot hitting in say a real world situation?  Is the AH modelling close to realistic in this instance and many more like it?  We dont expect perfect, but many of us do expect a good go on realism.  We sure could use some detune on the puffy and 5", but at least 5" and the rest of the guns require "Visual" range, you fly in their range ya know your taking a risk, this puffy has literally hounded me out of a sector lol!

% Chance of getting hit in real life?

@ 85%

262s aren't particularly known for their durability in game either.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:21 AM »
it's not only enemy puffy ack that is the issue. 

I've been toasted 3 times by my own this month   :ahand

No Bruv as I informed you on Vent (thank you by the way for having me on) you have reached the top of your curve for ability within the game, you will notice over the coming years your ability will deminish :old:

As you stated to me I shot you down twice (I cannot remember the instance of the aforementioned ownage),as I am senile and reflexes of snail reaffirms your inevitable decline into the lowers ranks within the game  :old:
 :rofl

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 04:37:06 AM »
As you stated to me I shot you down twice (I cannot remember the instance of the aforementioned ownage),

I can remember that occurrence - Bruv claimed lag :D  He said his modem was on the fritz but I believe he was downloading dirty movies :old:

It was indeed good to have you on Vent last night you old fettler...come back whenever you feel lonely
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 05:54:38 AM »
I now speak to myself when alone :old:

How are your fox hounds doing Coombzy :old:

Ack with 7.1 surround headphones is brilliant by the way :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Mitsu.

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »
Yesterday, I've been killed 3 times by puffy acks at the same area.

First was just losing left wing.

Second was just losing engine.

Third was just got a direct hit and go back to tower.

I was an unlucky pilot...