Author Topic: Something more realistic, less arcade.  (Read 4659 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Something more realistic, less arcade.
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
I wonder if HTC might be able to curb most (all?) of the whining if they were to just model the game based on that site, regardless of whether they've got better data or not.  Seems like most of the people who believe the game to be inaccurate use that as their primary source.

Wiley.

What makes you think that anything at wwiiaircraftperformance.org is incompatible with the current Aces High flight modeling?

Karnak: Some folks put the idea out that the loss of lift was modeled, but not the loss of WEIGHT for that wing, hence the very strong (and almost uncontrollable in some planes) roll to the missing wing.

I personally put forth that HTC doesn't properly model the jagged gaping shredded hole causing massive drag that would compensate for the loss in parasitic drag. My beef is that when you lose a part you gain 50mph.

In Rangoon I was winging with a 110C that lost one stabilizer. I think just the vertical stab on the port side but I'd have to check -- it may have included the corresponding h-stab with it. I was intact. He was going so fast on milpow I had to WEP to keep up with him! I could not fly formation with him! Edit: And I mean he was walking away from me like I was standing still!

That's just not right. There's too much of a benefit from losing parts, speed-wise. Outside of that I think they do take a lot into consideration and that the damage model is pretty fun. I have landed many a super-shot-up plane and hope to continue doing so.

Krusty you know high wing loading and high speed go together. Breaking off half a wing increases the wing loading. :devil

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
http://www.2shared.com/file/gzKIQLrA/bone_HO.html

Watch the LA7 at the beginning of this film.  What troubles me is he makes it past perpendicular to the 1/2 wing side, and is still able to recover, despite being at 50 feet or so. 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
http://www.2shared.com/file/gzKIQLrA/bone_HO.html

Watch the LA7 at the beginning of this film.  What troubles me is he makes it past perpendicular to the 1/2 wing side, and is still able to recover, despite being at 50 feet or so. 

Why is that troubling?

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Well, my only flying experience is lots of RC stuff and from what I have seen, to make that sort of correction I lose lift on the opposite side of of the plane without increasing lift to compensate.  This should cause a drop in altitude.  In this film, the LA snaps and rolls and recovers at very slow speeds.  Look, I am a layman here and I know there are tons of aero guys (I am a geotechnical engineer).  I would love to understand the math behind this LA thing... can you help me out FLS. 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum