Author Topic: Custom Arena Setup Training  (Read 2485 times)

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
Custom Arena Setup Training
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
Very quietly, HTC has given you all an amazing gift.  You now have the ability to create custom on line arenas.  There are few limitations to the fun you can have.  You can re-create the FSO arena for practice missions.  You can create custom dueling arenas.  You can re-create the old tank town setup where everyone spawns in almost the same place.  You can make night bombing raids under a dark sky.  You can fly in a pink sky if you want.  Unlimited ammo.  A single bomb nukes a town.

How?  Well, let me shock you by starting with the proposition that all of this is based on a computer game.  Like any game, it has settings. 

The powers of this game have authorized me to teach you how to build a custom arena.  Beyond the basics, we will go over the settings and I’ll teach you what each setting means.  The setup seminar will be held Friday, November 25, 2011 at 9 p.m. CST.  I will try to grab Special Events Arena 2 for the event.  If you can’t make it but have an interest, post and maybe we can hold a seminar in December as well.
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
Re: Custom Arena Setup Training
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Today

In less than four hours

Hmmm sounds fascinating

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
I hope some people took Snake up on this.  I'd really like to see the custom arenas get more use.  If they do, I plan on putting out a line of custom, made for private arena terrains for the community to use.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »
Was a great turnout.  At least 15 (or maybe more). People coming and going. Lasted over 2 hours - and not just because it was complicated or super in-depth like prepping for an audit.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
I hope some people took Snake up on this.  

It was one of the most positive experiences I have had Aces High in a few years...It was a blend of CM's and guys who truly care about the game and where its going...and how we can use Custom Arena's to make the game better...after working through the nuts and bolts of Custom Arena's...we focused on how those arena's can enhance the game...

The mutual respect of all participants toward one another...the active discussion....you could not have asked for more

I left the meeting after 2 hours....and they we were still discussing and talking

It was a unique bridge...between CM's and lay people...it rocked

Hat tip Plissken, ROC and 4440...salute sirs

Good on ya guys...well played

Out

Oneway

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Oneway, it was good to see you there.

I was very glad to see Plissken come up with this for the community, he did a very good job.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:42:54 AM »
I am glad to see a good amount of interest, both on the part of the CMs and the community.  I would like to speak to the possibility of another session.  My problem is the terrible schedule that I work.  The best solution for me and hopefully many others, would be somewhere around 3 pm EST on a weekend.  The content does not have to stay static either.  I am hoping that this might evolve into some sort of enthusiast's group that could bring in different discusions and topics in each gathering.

Yes, I believe there are many things that can be shared in a wide range of different topics that would enhance the community development and enjoyment of custom arenas.  To name just a few, terrain considerations, historical content, game play strategic objectives, and of course the basics of "How To" make one, save one  and test one.

:rock Awesome job fellas.  Please keep it going.  I see this has workshop potential that folks would look forward to joining.  I have tons of ideas and am more than willing to do whatever I can to help in any effort to continue what you have started.  PM me or respond here.

Chilli

Offline snakeplissken

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
Chilli;  Happy to help.  You name the time and the place.  Set it at least a week out to give everyone notice.  As for Last night, I was honored.  Not only were my fellow CM's there to help (and play with the sky colors), but we had royalty there as well.  When Roc speaks everyone listens, like there is going to be a test.  You see, Roc trains all the CMs and THERE IS A TEST!   And 4440, he runs all the CM teams.... ALL THE CM TEAMS.  My boring dry discussion was spiked by the appearance of Rock stars!  And again, thanks to Lt. Dan and Bubba and Imadot.... "We be like brothers and stuff."  It's a household CM word....
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ahxarl.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
A very big thank you to Snake for putting this on.

This will give all of you as members of the community a much better understanding of the tools that the game provides, in addition to what it can take to design and create a succesful arena. While last night was only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what can be created and done within the arena, it does create a solid foundation to work from.

Thank you to all who attended, and perhaps we will try to do another of these somewhere in the near future.

Offline 2DIE4

• Zinc Member
      • The Fighting 420th
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Is there going to be another session in the future ?
Smoke em if you can...!!!!

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 03:35:37 AM »
yes i would love to be at one. Our squad has started tossing around the idea of large buff raids and night time fighting. staged missions and all that jazz. Ill keep an eye out for the next seminar.

<S>49Boob
49th Fighter Group
XO 9th Fighter Squadron
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015