Author Topic: Grizz, can you confirm?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Grizz, can you confirm?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »
It was more like 600 yds.

Lol this is me just messing with vinkman

In all honesty it was between 1050 and 1100 yds on my end. It happened just as vinkman described it. 

Vinkman if you can check PMs or if you remember what date it happened I can check to see if I saved the film and will post it.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
I thought we were confirming something else about Grizz.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
It doesn't.
yes it does. the 37mm has a very long range actually. hence the reason 37mm AA guns on the bases can reach and kill planes at 10,000ft in the vertical. 40mm's can reach even farther ive layed down fire from quad 40s on CVs out to kill planes at 5-6k while theyre dogfighting over beachheads. theyre more of the spray and pray shots with the quads but shoot enough down range it'll hit something
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
yes it does. the 37mm has a very long range actually. hence the reason 37mm AA guns on the bases can reach and kill planes at 10,000ft in the vertical. 40mm's can reach even farther ive layed down fire from quad 40s on CVs out to kill planes at 5-6k while theyre dogfighting over beachheads. theyre more of the spray and pray shots with the quads but shoot enough down range it'll hit something

Yes, the 37MM on field guns can go out far. But not on the Yak-T. They disappear like any other airplane guns at around 1.5K.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 08:02:34 AM »
Ain't that the truth.  I saw him warp so bad onetime he actually changed countries...

LMAO!! funniest one liner of the year.  :rofl
Who is John Galt?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 08:07:45 AM »
I thought we were confirming something else about Grizz.

Hey.  :o

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »
Lol this is me just messing with vinkman

In all honesty it was between 1050 and 1100 yds on my end. It happened just as vinkman described it.  

Vinkman if you can check PMs or if you remember what date it happened I can check to see if I saved the film and will post it.

Thanks for the confirmation.  :salute
I thought we shared PMs from the boards, but I have nothing in the inbox. Perhaps we just PM'd in the arena.  :frown: Not sure I can remember the date within several months. Started playing in May of 09, it was at least 6 months in but not later than a year. If you're looking, my best guess is dec 1, 09-feb 1, '10 But I realize that must be a ton of film for you. I think we exchanged some board post around that time too. I'll try to find 'em
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:15:05 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:35 AM »
I have my head position set so I can hit the target dead center at 1700 yards in the yak9t.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Had this happening to me earlier with 4Fox.  In my ride he had no shot but was hitting me while his nose was well away from having an angle.

Id bet money he was on a satilite connection.. Ive seen this from a couple people. Not possible to judge correctly if they have a shot or not till they start tinking you with their nose lagging 20degs behind..

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »
I tried the same maneuver in a jeep once when he dove on me in his 262. Even in the thin air of the high mountains I was not as lucky as you were.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
I rammed you only on your front end with my 500mph jet and watched your jeep roll down the mountain.  That's my rotten toon fantasy.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
Yes, the 37MM on field guns can go out far. But not on the Yak-T. They disappear like any other airplane guns at around 1.5K.

The field guns are their own modelling. Just because it shares a caliber doesn't make them the same gun, so the Yak has a totally different round.

Although I think it goes out further than the 20mm/30mm rounds. Due to their nature, some rounds have a longer "lifespan" or duration in which they fly forward. I think this includes all rounds of 37mm or higher caliber. The distance the round can fly will also change depending on the air density. Firing on the deck makes it slow down all that much faster. Firing at 15k or even 20k makes it go a lot longer. Aiming is still a problem, but I sat behind some higher-alt B-17Gs in a Yak9T once and plinked them from over 1.5K (closer to 2.0, but not quite there). I pinged the lead about 4 times, but due to dispersion and distance and guess work none landed in the same place. I never got a critical hit. Now, I was smart enough to know this was due to the high alt. I could never have done it lower down. The guy I was shooting wasn't smart enough to know if I can hit HIM, then HE could hit ME... so he never fired back lol.

:devil

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »
Grizz I can't find a date. I appreciate the offer to post it  :aok  but digging through dated film files would take a lot of time.
Keep it in mind, and if you come across it, maybe you can post it then.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »
Rolled but not on its wheels. More like thump thump... thumpity thump.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)