Author Topic: Interesting 190 skin  (Read 5582 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Interesting 190 skin
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
This is an interesting 190 skin with "70" white on the nose, but a red or black "6" at the original area. Who could fill in on this? Sorry, it is all in Russian.

http://www.dolin.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/FOTO-1939-1945/letiste-plana-u-ceskych-budejovic/1945-vraky-plana--1-.jpg.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:32:55 PM by oakranger »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Interesting 190 skin
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:23:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Good find, sir.   :salute  Looks like a good skin that should be added.

Still, why the "70" on the nose? Not a stander Luff marking. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:47:03 PM by oakranger »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »
This machine (Fw-190F8/R1) was held in accordance with the standard RLM 74, 75, 76, and it got the usual yellow SG 10 strips and some RLM 83 camouflage distributed on the trunk. The white 70 on both sides of the hood is the identification number attached for transfer. This plane was on the staff of SG 10 and found at the airfield in Ceske Budejovice (Budweis Deutsch or Bohemian Budweis) in 1945.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:07:58 AM by beau32 »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
This machine (Fw-190F8/R1) was held in accordance with the standard RLM 74, 75, 76, and it got the usual yellow SG 10 strips and some RLM 83 camouflage distributed on the trunk. The white 70 on both sides of the hood is the identification number attached for transfer. This plane was on the staff of SG 10 and found at the airfield in Ceske Budejovice (Budweis Deutsch or Bohemian Budweis) in 1945.

mechanisms of evolution. 

Wonder how many other German AC got this treatment, giving it was the donut end of a donut beating by the Russians.   Germany just did a quick fixed on what ever they can scrap up.

Thanks sirs!   :salute
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
damnation! This retarded forum ate my post!

Let's try again....

It's not that uncommon, and we even have a few skins already in-game with airframe marks on them.

This one has the number on the tail:

On the FW 190 the "power egg" could be swapped out as a whole unit, cowling and frame and prop and all. When this happened it would naturally have a mis-match in the coloring from the field-applied paint on the plane and the paint on the power egg. When this happened the cowling was over over-painted before returning the plane to active duty so that the markings were at least in the same style and coloration as the rest of the frame. This wasn't always a hard and fast rule, and sometimes you got interesting combinations, but the end result often looked like this:

With the cowling overpainted to cover up previous markings.

With this particular plane you really can't tell anything about its use or nature. It doesn't make a good skin because it is simply a wrecked airframe canibalized on a field of canibalized planes. It's a late-war repair depot, a common sight across Germany as allied troops advanced. You will find many planes in various stages of disassembly or disrepair. They were reassembling the ones that could be saved and scavenging off those that could not. The markings on that plane simply mean they tried to mount a new engine on it. Considering that the plane never got to the point of being put back in service they didn't bother repainting it. That means the way the photo shows it is not how it would have appeared in actual combat.

You'd need better evidence it actually served this way, and wasn't just an intermediate step between stages of repair. Hope is not lost, though. There are plenty of others that show interesting combinations of markings.

Such as this one: http://luftwaffe-aviation-art.blogspot.com/2010/11/focke-wulf-fw-190-f-8-flown-by.html
If it's to be believed, it had a replacement tail and power egg. Worth more research, no doubt.

Such as this one: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2061/fw190f8wsc500.jpg
with field applied winter camo

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
Krusty, i was not aware we had skins with the number markings on the nose. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »

Such as this one: http://luftwaffe-aviation-art.blogspot.com/2010/11/focke-wulf-fw-190-f-8-flown-by.html
If it's to be believed, it had a replacement tail and power egg. Worth more research, no doubt.

Such as this one: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2061/fw190f8wsc500.jpg
with field applied winter camo

Here you go.

Based off the comments on the above profile if correct. The yellow band painted on in the last few weeks of the war.  :headscratch: I would say means white #70 on the nose may have flown combat?

I will throw red 9 in just for good measure. :aok

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:16:10 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
Based off the comments on the above profile if correct. The yellow band painted on in the last few weeks of the war.  :headscratch: I would say means white #70 on the nose may have flown combat?

You can't make that assumption that it did so looking the way it did, because of the nature of the main photo all profiles are based upon. It's a wreck on a field surrounded with canibalized planes trying to cobble any pieces together. There are too many possibilities, such as "would they have just sprayed a solid color over it before sending back into combat?" and such as "was this only an intermediate step -- get the parts together -- before it would have been fully repainted anyways?"

A plane very well may have gone into combat with the yellow band and the white 70 on the nose, but it may have looked a lot more like this:

Before it crashed somewhere and was written off as a loss, and the engine was removed for use in another plane. Or THAT plane got a replacement engine, shipped this one off for refurbishing/rebuild, and then when complete it was added to the next needy airframe at this other place. There was an entire repair/rebuild infrastructure in place and it's not so cut and dried without actual proof/evidence that the plane flew into combat that way.

Let's put it this way: We also have photos and profiles of Ta152H-1s with US and RAF markings on them, but it wasn't the way it flew in combat :P

EDIT: P.S. That's the problem with Yellow 14 up there, too. It looks visually interesting, but it could simply be one of hundreds of post-war wrecks that have been latched onto and made the subject of profiles, but was never actually used or flown in that condition. Without more evidence or background story to support it, the profile is simply a snapshot in frozen time of how that plane was found by allied army troops.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:45:40 PM by Krusty »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
Ink this one is right up your alley.

It will cause controversy since black aircraft tend to attract that in AHII. :aok

A near all black 190A-4 model.

7./SKG10.

Yellow H+.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/Fw-190A-SKG10.7-(H+%5E)-Bechtolder.html

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »
You can't make that assumption that it did so looking the way it did, because of the nature of the main photo all profiles are based upon. It's a wreck on a field surrounded with canibalized planes trying to cobble any pieces together. There are too many possibilities, such as "would they have just sprayed a solid color over it before sending back into combat?" and such as "was this only an intermediate step -- get the parts together -- before it would have been fully repainted anyways?"

A plane very well may have gone into combat with the yellow band and the white 70 on the nose, but it may have looked a lot more like this:

Before it crashed somewhere and was written off as a loss, and the engine was removed for use in another plane. Or THAT plane got a replacement engine, shipped this one off for refurbishing/rebuild, and then when complete it was added to the next needy airframe at this other place. There was an entire repair/rebuild infrastructure in place and it's not so cut and dried without actual proof/evidence that the plane flew into combat that way.

Let's put it this way: We also have photos and profiles of Ta152H-1s with US and RAF markings on them, but it wasn't the way it flew in combat :P

EDIT: P.S. That's the problem with Yellow 14 up there, too. It looks visually interesting, but it could simply be one of hundreds of post-war wrecks that have been latched onto and made the subject of profiles, but was never actually used or flown in that condition. Without more evidence or background story to support it, the profile is simply a snapshot in frozen time of how that plane was found by allied army troops.
 This 262 should go then?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
Ink this one is right up your alley.

It will cause controversy since black aircraft tend to attract that in AHII. :aok

A near all black 190A-4 model.

7./SKG10.

Yellow H+.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/Fw-190A-SKG10.7-(H+%5E)-Bechtolder.html

wow that is bad arse :O

been reading the story was hoping to add the "do not touch" haha but that was after it was captured.

I really like this plane I been wanting to get into the German stuff.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
wow that is bad arse :O

been reading the story was hoping to add the "do not touch" haha but that was after it was captured.

I really like this plane I been wanting to get into the German stuff.
Yours to do then. :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »
That is not an A-4. We do not have that variant in-game. It is a Fw190G with 2 wing tanks for long long range night bombing missions. It had no cowling guns. It doesn't fit what we have.

Also, I'm getting a little annoyed at the sudden need just to go looking for any skin just because it's painted black. What is the damned fascination with bland boring skins? Most folks just paint-bucket fill the thing black and call it a skin. They think it's easy to do a black skin. What about the white ones? Hrm? Or the all blue ones? Hrm? there are tons of other colors... Even PINK on some planes. Why the OCD fascination with black?

As to that 262, it would depend if the skinner had better references at the time or just took a profile. I don't know as I haven't looked into it myself. If it's just a war wreck it doesn't belong. Not unless there's some indication, some logical supporting history or evidence that suggests it was like that before its wrecked state. Meaning it actually flew and fought like that.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
That is not an A-4. We do not have that variant in-game. It is a Fw190G with 2 wing tanks for long long range night bombing missions. It had no cowling guns. It doesn't fit what we have.

Also, I'm getting a little annoyed at the sudden need just to go looking for any skin just because it's painted black. What is the damned fascination with bland boring skins? Most folks just paint-bucket fill the thing black and call it a skin. They think it's easy to do a black skin. What about the white ones? Hrm? Or the all blue ones? Hrm? there are tons of other colors... Even PINK on some planes. Why the OCD fascination with black?

As to that 262, it would depend if the skinner had better references at the time or just took a profile. I don't know as I haven't looked into it myself. If it's just a war wreck it doesn't belong. Not unless there's some indication, some logical supporting history or evidence that suggests it was like that before its wrecked state. Meaning it actually flew and fought like that.

why would you get annoyed at what others like and enjoy?

I personally think a black plane is far cooler looking then a colorful paint job.

differences its what makes the world interesting :aok