Author Topic: HQ only worth 24K damage?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
HQ only worth 24K damage?
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »
Although HQ requires 37.5K worth of bombs, yet it only yields 24K of damage when taken down?

Yes I mean it when a single set of anything takes it down fully on its own...
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: HQ only worth 24K damage?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:58:28 AM »
Although HQ requires 37.5K worth of bombs, yet it only yields 24K of damage when taken down?

Yes. Not "although" but ' just because' it requires 37.5K worth of bombs.
Displayed damage at landing is a linear function of the total amount of damage you applied to structures during this sortie. See this short posting of mine on displayed damage, damage points & perks in the help section

:airplane:

On a related note, you probably may have even 'hurt' your damage hit% in bombers that way, despite having taken out one the most difficult targets in game  :lol
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:30:50 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »
Landed Damage Message: pure damage inflicted

Not worried about the "score" pertaining to my rank overall... Just a disappointment for solo-nomming a fresh HQ  :x

But, isn't it a bit loose? It takes 37.5k of "raw" ordinance but would call for over 10K less than "raw" damage inflicted? So the question is if its really "pure" damage why wouldn't it equal to the "raw" damage?

oh well  :airplane:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »
But, isn't it a bit loose? It takes 37.5k of "raw" ordinance but would call for over 10K less than "raw" damage inflicted? So the question is if its really "pure" damage why wouldn't it equal to the "raw" damage?

It's just using a different scale. The value for displayed damage message is is the inflicted 'lb' damage x0.64. So a town building that takes 312.5 lbs to be destroyed will yield up to 200 points for the landed damage message.

That may sound weird and confusing, but there is a simple explanation behind it: Internally the program doesn't use the "lbs" values we see in arena settings, but an internal variable of different scale. One "damage point" ~ 0.156lbs of "damage value" (the stuff in arena settings).  A town building has 200points, a city square 540, The HQ 24,000. A 1000lb bomb has an internal 'damage point' rating of 6,400.

The "landed damage message" is simply based on these internal points. But the conversion is linear. Multiply the landed damage message by 1.56 and you get the applied damage in lb. (Which is actually simply 1/1000 the damage of a 1000lb bomb)

Some of the bombs in AH and their ratings:

(This table might also give a clue why I'm taking the allegedly 'puny' 80x100lb loadout for the B-29 when bombing the city...)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:35:32 AM by Lusche »

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:31:40 AM »
Thx keeping that chart :D

Plus that I also only take my 100lb bombs on my epic bomb**** raids - allows me to get to 48K and I take my sweet time hitting ords and such... :D  :airplane: :D

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »
It's just using a different scale. The value for displayed damage message is is the inflicted 'lb' damage x0.64. So a town building that takes 312.5 lbs to be destroyed will yield up to 200 points for the landed damage message.

That may sound weird and confusing, but there is a simple explanation behind it: Internally the program doesn't use the "lbs" values we see in arena settings, but an internal variable of different scale. One "damage point" ~ 0.156lbs of "damage value" (the stuff in arena settings).  A town building has 200points, a city square 540, The HQ 24,000. A 1000lb bomb has an internal 'damage point' rating of 6,400.

The "landed damage message" is simply based on these internal points. But the conversion is linear. Multiply the landed damage message by 1.56 and you get the applied damage in lb. (Which is actually simply 1/1000 the damage of a 1000lb bomb)

(Image removed from quote.)

(This table might also give a clue why I'm taking the allegedly 'puny' 80x100lb loadout for the B-29 when bombing the city...)

Hmmm... I have a chart posted by Hitech himself.  I did not label it properly, but I think it is showing the same values as your "damage value":

100 lbs = 100GP
250 lbs = 200GP
500 lbs = 360GP
1000 lbs = 640GP
1600 lbs = 840GP
2000 lbs = 1100GP
4000 lbs = 2000GP

The metrics are scaled very similar.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
Hmmm... I have a chart posted by Hitech himself. 

Which is where I got this stuff from too  :)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
But the bigger bombs have a much larger opportunity to damage more targets than the one it lands on due to increased damage radius, correct?
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »
But the bigger bombs have a much larger opportunity to damage more targets than the one it lands on due to increased damage radius, correct?

Indeed. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeesh, tell the all the new buff flyers the ideal salvo delay time too, why don't ya.   :furious :D  (does your gastropod-sized cranium even know how much it sucks to fly to both enemy strats on a carpet bombing run, only not to find even half an acre of virgin targets?  :uhoh )
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »

Yup.  Like most choices, if you're going for bombing citys and towns, there are two sides to the spectrum, and usually a happy place right in the middle... out of coincidence, I've noticed here and there that 250 and 500lb bombs were the favored all-around egg for most airmen during the war. 
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
Yup.  Like most choices, if you're going for bombing citys and towns, there are two sides to the spectrum, and usually a happy place right in the middle... out of coincidence, I've noticed here and there that 250 and 500lb bombs were the favored all-around egg for most airmen during the war. 

Keep in mind that in the real deal, the pilots did not have much say in what their ords were going to be.  All the planning was made by the higher-ups.  As I run down my grandfathers log book, I see not once where he carried 1000 lb bombs in his B24D.  Of his 28 bombing missions, I bet less than half were made with 500 lb bombs, and the rest split between 250 lb and 100 lb bombs (at alts as low at 2000 ft).  Keeping mind that 2/3rd's of his unit's missions were seeking out Japanese "supply" shipping while in ports or in a staging area off a port.  The rest of his missions were against static defenses at Bougainville and other Japanese defenses up and down the "slot".     

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
Yeesh, tell the all the new buff flyers the ideal salvo delay time too, why don't ya.  

My thumb is my delay timer... allows me much more precision and (literally) last-second adjustments. The only delay time I actually use for salvos is 0.05.

Yup.  Like most choices, if you're going for bombing citys and towns, there are two sides to the spectrum, and usually a happy place right in the middle... out of coincidence, I've noticed here and there that 250 and 500lb bombs were the favored all-around egg for most airmen during the war.  

And in here, 500lbs are the best all-round choice in most cases as far as level bombers go. Nice balance of weight efficiency, raw numbers carried and blast radius allows a lot flexibility when already airborne.  :old:

And btw... the 312.5lb of "damage value" needed to kill a town building or standard field item equals exactly one 250lb bomb...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:37:32 PM by Lusche »

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
I would trade all the possible damage points if the effect it had meant something in the game.

~AoM~