Author Topic: Dec 30th- Battle of Midway (very short Icon event)  (Read 2582 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Dec 30th- Battle of Midway (very short Icon event)
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
hhmm.......how about assigning certain cv's as capable of assaulting the base? this way, each could be moved within it's own box? or am i over complicating things now?

cant be done. the arena doesn't have the capabilities.

Then, why have an objective?   :devil

If there's no objective for the battle, then it's nothing but a glorified DA...  If there's no objective, then what's the point?

whats the objective in the MA's? other then win the map? AVA is giving you options, that's all. take them or leave them. its up to you. its not right or wrong or good or bad. its just supposed to be fun! take it for what it is.

I understand that scenario all too well.  But, I have never been able to trust anyone switching sides like that in a regular arena.  As soon as their times up, they switch, CV gets reported/attacked, etc.  I run into that constantly.

you cant keep the fight even in a 2 sided game without side switching. we don't always have carriers available for each setup so that side switching isn't as much of a problem in the AVA as it is in the MA's.

also, you'll notice there's no chess piece loyalty. just Axis and Allies. take your pick and have fun.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »
Then, why have an objective?   :devil

If there's no objective for the battle, then it's nothing but a glorified DA...  If there's no objective, then what's the point?

Whats the point of winning the map in the LWA? How did you get to the point of winning the map in the first place?
You fought for it just like fighting in the AVA or any other arena. Except you get the privilege of being booted out of the arena while another map loads.
There's nothing gained but some perk points which you could achieve just fighting in the first place. Is the excitement  and pride in knowing you just kicked off a weak side
with over whelming numbers that gratifying? Just so another map loads and its rinse and repeat.. Talk about a glorified dueling arena.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:46:47 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline trwagner1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Whats the point of winning the map in the LWA? How did you get to the point of winning the map in the first place?
You fought for it just like fighting in the AVA or any other arena. Except you get the privilege of being booted out of the arena while another map loads.
There's nothing gained but some perk points which you could achieve just fighting in the first place. Is the excitement  and pride in knowing you just kicked off a weak side
with over whelming numbers that gratifying? Just so another map loads and its rinse and repeat.. Talk about a glorified dueling arena.

Hiya Shifty.  For some it might be gratifying to win a map with overwhelming numbers.  Capturing a base, or a specific base or set of bases.... an objective.  In MA's, capturing the bases to win a map is also an objective in the end. 

And, you have a point.  Take WWI example.  Always the same map.  All you CAN do it fight.  ;)  The only objective is to stay alive.  I love that arena mostly because I love the old biplanes and my soundpack allows me to fly and enjoy the sound.  In that scenario, for me it's fun to enjoy "the dance".  I usually die.  But, I only go there to have fun.  Don't care if I ever shoot anyone down.

And, again, I'm not complaining.  Like I said, just trying to understand.  For me, my final objective is always to have fun.  If I weren't having fun, I wouldn't still play the game.   :airplane:
Retired from flying for now

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
Land based
US: P-40C

A suggestion:  Enable Wildcats at the island as well as the P40E.  It would be historically accurate (maybe even more accurate), and the P-40E v. A6M2 is roughly equivalent to the FW190A8 v. Spit 16.

- oldman (makes you realize what the American pilots were up against in real life)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
on second thought nvmd
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:45:01 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

A suggestion:  Enable Wildcats at the island as well as the P40E. )

Done. Thanks for the reminder, I meant to do this several days ago.