Author Topic: Engine Out Landings  (Read 5812 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Engine Out Landings
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »
Simple thought....in real life if you have a dual flame-out and are wounded yet manage to get the airplane back to the field intact you will be awarded a DFC even if you roll off the paved portion.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »
I don't think having one wheel off the runway should award you the same ditch that someone who bombed HQ and water ditched his bombers rather than return home.

There needs to be some incentive to return home and there is none currently.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »
There needs to be some incentive to return home and there is none currently.
There is, but you need to demonstrate a modicum of skill and land on the runway to qualify for it.  Sometimes due to damage inflicted by the enemy this doesn't happen, but whether the enemy blows your wing off then and there or it is damage that takes its toll later, that is just the way it goes.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
There is, but you need to demonstrate a modicum of skill and land on the runway to qualify for it.  Sometimes due to damage inflicted by the enemy this doesn't happen, but whether the enemy blows your wing off then and there or it is damage that takes its toll later, that is just the way it goes.

The added points are ridiculously negligible.

I bombed 1 VH, 1 BH, and shot down 1 enemy fighter in a B-17. I then pushed the nose over, hit 400 mph, the wings came off, bailed, and got a "Host: You have bailed Successfully."

Last sortie: 4.5

I did the same thing, but landed the bird (all 3 of them) and got a "Host: You have landed Successfully."

Last sortie: 5.12

EVEN THOUGH both drones came back. I was only leaking fuel, too. I also think maybe a small bonus for landing 3 drones, too.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »
The added points are ridiculously negligible.

I bombed 1 VH, 1 BH, and shot down 1 enemy fighter in a B-17. I then pushed the nose over, hit 400 mph, the wings came off, bailed, and got a "Host: You have bailed Successfully."

Last sortie: 4.5

I did the same thing, but landed the bird (all 3 of them) and got a "Host: You have landed Successfully."

Last sortie: 5.12

EVEN THOUGH both drones came back. I was only leaking fuel, too. I also think maybe a small bonus for landing 3 drones, too.
A 25% bonus is negligible?  Ok, if you say so.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
It's closer to 16/18%...

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »
I bombed 1 VH, 1 BH, and shot down 1 enemy fighter in a B-17. I then pushed the nose over, hit 400 mph, the wings came off, bailed, and got a "Host: You have bailed Successfully." Last sortie: 4.5

I did the same thing, but landed the bird (all 3 of them) and got a "Host: You have landed Successfully." Last sortie: 5.12

I think a Successfull Bail is supposed to be 50% ??? Does that apply to Perks too? AND, I think? you have to keep in mind that Perks are computed with an ENY adjustment ... so they will VARY depending on the odds ...

I've gotten 6.0 perks before for de-acking 4 guns and RTB in a 38 (MWA).
:huh
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »
It's closer to 16/18%...
It is exactly 25%.  You get 100% of the perks you earned if you fail to "land successfully".  If you land successfully you get 125% of the perks you earned.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
It is exactly 25%.  You get 100% of the perks you earned if you fail to "land successfully".  If you land successfully you get 125% of the perks you earned.

...I didn't know that. Thanks :)

Offline Tazz69

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
All in All...I think it is stupid that you have to be on the pavement at your own base to land your kills successfully. If I crash land or just land anywhere inside the base perimeter, I think we should get a 'successful landing'. I do believe that during WW2, or any war for that matter, that if you were shot up and flew back to friendly lines and made it back to your home base, it was a successful flight. I know alot will b*tch about this, but, i just hate the fact that if i have one wheel off the pavement on my landing, or slid off runway on crash landing, i lose out on perks and performance rating. IMHO

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »
what perimeter?

edit:
any plane that cant taxi back to its hangar needs to be recovered. getting a succesful landing on the runway in AH is a concession that saves you the bother/time of taxiing. last night I lost a gear in a jet and had to slide it in. got a landed message and didnt lose 250ish perks, despite my airframe being written off. we already have it easy I reckon.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:27:03 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
Today, unfortunately I was flying a 262, took severe amounts of fire and lost both my engines, pilot wound, fuel, etc. The aircraft was still controllable, just dead stick and bouts of passing in and out. I was able to make a friendly field, and land, but I blacked out upon touchdown and ended up stopping in the grass next to the runway..... 109 perks lost for returning the plane to the field.

My wish is to make so that severely damaged aircraft will not get a ditch so long as they land within the airfield perimeter.

Fire away gents, I know the topic of ditching on the field has come up many times before <S>  :salute

You were lucky you got a ditch. The 262 requires a long concrete runway. You landed in the grass and survived.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »
Hmm, a lot of very good points made here, so perhaps this leading to another wish....

How about a tug/recovery vehicle that can be spawned on the field to help moved damaged aircraft back to the pavement? Nothing worth gaining points from, but will make you a very welcomed wingman, especially in the case where I had a dead 262 (gear still intact though) only 15-20 ft max from the pavement.

This could even be a simple fix by allowing the Jeep to be able to push a/c, but only if the a/c hits an "accept tug" or w/e type pop-up message.
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Both sides of this issue are equally valid. As noted, an arbitrary line has to be drawn and that has been done. You don't have to LIKE it, but it's reasonable, rational, and deserving of respect. There -IS- already consideration given to seriously damaged aircraft ... keep it on the runway and it doesn't matter HOW BADLY DAMAGED it is, you get full points (and retain your perkies).

There are always going to be cases of "missed it by THAT much" ... If you think the present system is inadequate, I'd suggest adding a RTB reward, that would apply to EVERY case in which the PILOT makes it back into the base perimeter, be it in a plane, a chute, or walking. Having  a trained pilot live to fight another day has value.
:)

That would be a great compromiise to a buffer...and I dont know who crapped in your cheerios Fugitive, but easy man...I think a little buffer would be fine for all parties involved because as I said in my post, if 3/4 of your plane are off and the tailwheel and tail are on technically u landed it on concrete rtight? If a guy lands it and his AC is sitting completely off the runway then he wasnt tha close and therefore its a ditch
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
Many planes in WWII, when faced with landing damaged, chose to land on the grass alongside the runways.