Author Topic: Too Grumpy  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Too Grumpy
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
After some reflection, I think my frustration with many aspects of AH and the quality of game play has spilled over into my conduct in game -- towards both opponents and countrymen alike.  Lately my comments have become increasingly negative, I’ve been complaining more on text and have even found myself PM’ing more of the “unsuitable” players (bomb-and-bailers, HO/rammers and other suicide-style pilots).  While I may abhor those who play the game this way (don't fly to survive), meeting my expectations of how the game should be played should not result in an insulting comment or PM.  I was wrong to do this.

I have generally tried to conduct myself with more class, and am ashamed of lowering myself to that level.  This community already has enough a-holes in it that I don’t need to join their ranks.  It seems I’ve reached my time for taking an extended (or permanent) break.  None the less, I shouldn’t have conducted myself in that manner, whether I plan to stay in this community or not.

While I’m sure most of you don’t give a red cent what I say or do (nor should you), I felt I should at least offer a general apology to anyone I may have insulted, offended or even mildly annoyed recently.

<S> and blue skies
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:02:17 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Too Grumpy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
funny I am the exact opposite I think its funny as heck that people will fly like total twits to save there cartoon life :lol

FSO scenarios is one thing but MA  :rofl :rofl

I guess each person has their own way of thinking about it....me I am here to fight period....if its 1 or 20  I am fighting...and I certainly don't care what anyone else does....nether should you

no need to get frustrated and leave :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
funny I am the exact opposite I think its funny as heck that people will fly like total twits to save there cartoon life :lol

FSO scenarios is one thing but MA  :rofl :rofl

I guess each person has their own way of thinking about it....me I am here to fight period....if its 1 or 20  I am fighting...and I certainly don't care what anyone else does....nether should you

no need to get frustrated and leave :old:

^^^ What he said. :D

Stick around and next time you feel like PMing someone.... PM me and rant if it makes you feel better. I'll just read it and grin. Then no one will be the wiser.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:16:13 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
Your only human Kingpin. We all have ups and downs. The up side is that you realize your behaviour has changed and you want to do something about it.

Grant me the stubbornness to change what I can, the laziness to accept what I cannot, and enough beer to sit around and endlessly discuss the difference between the two.
Dick Dunn

Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window.
Steve Bluestone
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
 This community already has enough a-holes in it...

So this begs the question...

Does the community attract these types or produce these types?  It seems from your experience that it is the latter. 

Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmmm.

AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
 :salute KINGPIN ....
I know how you feel....I had a forced break from the game and had time to reflect ... cause like you I was ... and still do get disgruntled by player behaviour and have a cry on 200 ..... what I have come to realize is that there was one reason I became addicted to AH and that was one the community in general ...(still a couple I actually can't stand but 1 or 2 out of hundreds ain't bad) ..... when I started I would die much more and in similar ways as today...it is just that I have grown and know more about the game and game play and thus it is frustrating ...... eventually the newer guys will come around and those who don't wont stay and those who do will stay due to changes in attitude and also style (usually).....

just so we get it straight I will still have a cry about things but I don't really mean much by it...just a venting system and usually have a laugh at myself for being such a doofus afterwards hahaha
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:00:29 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »

I think we're talking about two different things here, though, Ink.

You don't fly to land all your sorties because you thrive on fighting against bad odds.  And you do quite well at it.  When you get shot down after killing 3 of the 5 who you were fighting, that's a win in your book (or anyone's really).

What I'm talking about are the guys who will intentionally try to HO or ram you every pass because they only want to knock you down.  That's not a fight in my book either.  Or even worse, the guys who will ignore all the airborne cons just to dive into the ack to shoot someone landing/taking off and be dead 3 seconds later to the ack.

Sadly my experience is there are 20 encounters like those, for every one 5-minute, sweaty-palmed, heart racing fight with someone the likes of you or the many other good knife-fighters in the game.

The other advantage you have, is you couldn't care less about the map.  Unfortunately, I used to like the strategic element of the game, and it was one of the things that drew me in.  I have found it to be a truth, however, that the LESS you care about the map, the MORE, you'll like the game.  To me that says something is broken in terms of the strategic game play.  Among other things...

But, I didn't want to turn this into a rant about AH game play.  There will be endless threads on that.  This was meant as an apology to clear the air before I take a break.

Thanks for the encouragement though, gents (INK/Shuffler).

<S>

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
There are so many ways to play this game.  It is truly a sandbox experience.  Both good and bad....... Make of it your game and enjoy it.  Or don't.  It really is your choice and belongs to no one else. 

Bottom line: do not over think the damned thing.  Just get out and play.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
I really cant imagine people purposely trying to RAM (except that guy who is trying to prove the collision model stinks) if they do they are total tards in my eyes.

I am guessing the many reasons you are getting rammed/HOed is the person you are fighting basically that's all they know...sometimes the HO is the best option (110vszero ECT ECT)....I cant stand HOing yet if a 51/any plane that just BnZs me at some point I will get tired of them extending 3-4K away and just face shoot them on the next pass....

I think you may need just some more practice on avoiding the HO and setting up for the crossing shot which is unavoidable by the HOer....eventually they will learn the HO is not the best "tactic" or they will say stuff like "BS no way you could make that shot" or PM/Vox rant to ya..calling ya a cheater......which is my favorite thing in AH.......if not well whatever it is their 15$

well hope you change your mind....and Thanx for apology......that shows much character :salute  

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
So this begs the question...

Does the community attract these types or produce these types?  It seems from your experience that it is the latter.  

Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmmm.

I like to think that there's alittle a-hole hidden in everyone. hmmm hmmm.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:55:53 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »
 :saluteKingpin,

It's nice to see someone taking responsibility for their actions every once in a while, it's a rare thing these days :aok.

Remember there are other parts of this game besides simply flying in the MA's, most of which avoid most of the activity you speak of.  FSO, scenarios, AHRL, help some new guys out in the TA, and GVing (albeit this is frustrating at times, becouse I'm not very good at it lol), and many other special events and smaller scenarios.  I haven't flown regularly in the MA's for many years now, I'm perfectly happy training, flying FSO's and Scenarios, along with the occasional GV fight.  Try something a bit different for a bit, who knows it may open a whole new world for you here :D

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »
Hang in there kingpin and hang tough  :salute

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
 :noid :noid Come fly with me....im Naked!!! :rock :noid :noid
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
:noid :noid Come fly with me....im Naked!!! :rock :noid :noid

A naked 12 year old?! Holy crap! That's just disturbing!

Kingpin, I've been in the same boat off and on for a few months. I've only cussed a couple folks but have sent a few sarcastic PMs. Good thing I'm on the road with work. After a day or so I only remember the sweet feel of killing an La-7 or Spit, not the ho-bags.

Boo
 :salute
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
for a second there i thought he was writing this to me......      :salute sir, i feel your pain
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA