Author Topic: Too much RAM?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
Too much RAM?
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
I'm wondering if there is a point at which the amount of ram in my PC would begin to fall under the "Law of diminishing returns" rule, so to speak. I'm thinking of adding more to my system. I currently have 4gb ddr2 800. Thats the fastest my motherboard can handle. Would adding 4 more gb's make a difference in anything.

I strictly use this computer for playing Aces High. It has XP for an operating system and it has an e8500 wolfdale processor. It also has an 8800gt 512 gb video card. No problems with the system and I get all the eyecandy set to max with 60fps pretty constant. the only thing I seem to have a problem ingame with is a slow rendering of GV's spawning in front of me and sometimes I am getting fired at before I see them on my screen.

68valu
Flying since tour 84

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Too much RAM?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
Windows XP can only handle up to 4GB of RAM, so no, adding more will not improve performance.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:39:29 PM »
Windows XP can only handle up to 4GB of RAM, so no, adding more will not improve performance.

So upgrading to windows 7 and adding more ram?

I wasn't aware the operating system hinders gaming or PC component performance.

68valu
Flying since tour 84

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
even 7 32 bit can access only 4 gigs (supposedly although I have heard of a work around just dont know what it is)

and xp can only read 3.35 gigs (if I remember correctly)

to get the full 8 gigs you would need 7 64 bit.

and no there is no such thing as "too much ram"

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
Windows 32 bit can only have 4 gig memory max ( inclucing the video ), windows 64 bit can use more then 4 gig memory.

If you run 64 bit windows and depending on how you use your computer and use RAM intensive applications or running a heavy load you may see some improvement.

If running 32 bit goto titanics post, he is correct.

4 gig RAM worked fine for me untill I put a 2 gig RAM video card in. Now I only have access to 1.5 RAM out of the 4 installed on motherboard.. I am now slowly migrating to a 64 bit OS.

Hope this helps
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
16gb of ram here...only because i cant find 8gb sticks for a reasonable price to run 32gb. i also dont run anything right now that would require 32 or even 16gb of ram so its more bragging than anything.  :angel:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
I think the question you really want to ask is: "How much user-mode virtual address space is available for each 32-bit process?" You could also ask the same question about kernel-mode virtual address space.

For 32-bit it is (no possible 64-bit process):
User-mode : 2 GB and up to 3 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAR E and 4GT.
Kernel mode: 2GB and 1 GB to 2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAR E and 4GT.

For 64-bit it is:
User mode: 2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAR E cleared.
               and 4 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAR E set.

Also for 64-bit you can have 64-bit processes:
User-mode: 2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAR E cleared.
               and 8 TB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAR E set (thats terrabytes not a typo).

Kernel mode: 8 TB

Limits on physical memory for 32-bit platforms also depend on the Physical Address Extension (PAE), which allows 32-bit Windows systems to use more than 4 GB of physical memory.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
Leave it to you guys to give an answer that may be technically correct but makes the situation WAY more complicated then it has to be.

My advice?  Don't worry about it.  Since you're still limited by memory speed and have no room for upgrading the type of ram (due to motherboard limitations) I would personally save your money and put it towards a system upgrade sometime this year, unless you can get lucky and find some ram dirt cheap.

4GB to 8GB might show a tiny bit of improvement if you really push your system (video processing, 3d cad design, photoshop, etc) but since you use your computer mainly for Aces High I honestly don't think you'll see any difference.  If you did notice a difference it would be due to a clean install of Win 7 more so than the memory upgrade.

There's also the off chance that the motherboard may not even support 8GB of ram, and if the extra 4GB don't match the 4GB you have in it now it can also become problematic.

For a system that's for the most part dedicated to Aces High, I think upgrading to 8GB would be more of a waste of money than anything.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »
Short easy answer:

You're Windows XP is probably 32 bit (there are rare 64 bit versions out there) so can only use 4 Gb of RAM max.  That includes video RAM so if you have a 1 Gb video card the OS can only use another 3 Gb and part of that is pre-alloted to the motherboard (varies by board).

AH is a 32 bit application.  32 bit applications are only allowed to address up to 2 Gb of memory in any version of Windows (32 or 64 bit).

So the only way more RAM will help you is if you're running several other applications while playing AH as each would be able to address it's own 2 Gb of RAM and I wouldn't recommend doing that for other reasons.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »
AH is a 32 bit application.  32 bit applications are only allowed to address up to 2 Gb of memory in any version of Windows (32 or 64 bit).

This is why I answered the way I did. The first is accurate. The second is not.

Whether or not you are likely to ever need it... another matter.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »
This is why I answered the way I did. The first is accurate. The second is not.

Whether or not you are likely to ever need it... another matter.

The second is true unless the application is compiled with the 'large address aware' flag AFAIK. Since 32-bit windows doesn't really support PAE due to driver problems, most applications probably are not compiled as such.

Skuzzy is probably the only one to verify if AH2 can utilize more than 2Gb at one time.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 02:40:36 AM »
Ive never seen AH grab more than 0.5GB on XP.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:15 AM »
Are there any plans for an AH 64bit???  :O
2weeks right?? LOL :bhead

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if they are just biding their time right now, like everybody else..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:53:23 AM by PAKFRONT »
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 04:53:04 AM »
Are there any plans for an AH 64bit???  :O
2weeks right?? LOL :bhead

I think there would be a need to plan for 1Gb+ downloads before that :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the help all you guys.

I guess the only logical option would be to keep what I have.

any possibility the slow rendering of spawning gv's could be due to my internet connection?

68valu
Flying since tour 84