Author Topic: "A C-4 detonator"  (Read 733 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: "A C-4 detonator"
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:10 PM »
That word is strangely familiar, isn't that the plane Identification tag? I recall off a show about 9/11, when the terrorists hijacked the planes they turned them off so the radar controllers couldn't see the id of the plane, i'm sure i'm wrong but its worth a guess

Maybe you are thinking about transponders. The ELT doesnt do anything unless it goes off.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
Maybe you are thinking about transponders. The ELT doesnt do anything unless it goes off.
What causes it to go off? Well crash duh but what specifically? Excess G's or something else? i'm eager to learn
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
What causes it to go off? Well crash duh but what specifically? Excess G's or something else? i'm eager to learn

Yes I think it is Gs. They had one of the school planes at Boerne land so hard a week ago it set the ELT off.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »
Yes I think it is Gs. They had one of the school planes at Boerne land so hard a week ago it set the ELT off.
And what exactly happens if one is set off? I'm assuming its GPS or is it radio?
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »
And what exactly happens if one is set off? I'm assuming its GPS or is it radio?

It sends out a signal that transmits on 121.5. Unfortunatly the older ELTs that transmit on 121.5 (like mine) no longer are picker up by satellite. The AIM reccomends to listen on 121.5 if you have a second radio because you may be the only one in the area who can hear someones ELT. Eventually we will all need to go to the 406mhz ELTs that are supported by satellite. I'm thinking about upgrading at the annual.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 12:33:21 AM »
Look on the bright side, cp101...... he didn't say it was a "max ammo" power up  :D.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"