Author Topic: Aviation user fees  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Aviation user fees
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »
and if I crunch my plane I dont like the idea of battery acid going everywhere.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »
and if I crunch my plane I dont like the idea of battery acid going everywhere.

Technically you still have a battery on your plane.

I actually have 6.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
Technically you still have a battery on your plane.

I actually have 6.

You're right, and It's mounted to the firewall so hopefully if I prang it I wont get any acid on me.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »
However having 20 or 30 batteries required to fly a electric airplane you couldnt fit them all in the engine compartment. I suppose some could be in the wings and others in the baggage compartment, but good luck flying a 500nm xc with a battery powered plane.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
people don't replace broken engine blocks. 

Yep, he lives under a rock.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
With all due respect, after many years of commuting the average vehicle will be worth less than the price of replacing its engine.

-Penguin

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 08:26:59 PM »
Worth is relative.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Now you're just giving me a hard time :D

Yes, I suppose if it were Great Grampaw Pettibone's Ye Olde Sarsparilla Float it would be worth it to replace.  However, the vast majority of people see their vehicles in a more utilitarian way.

-Penguin

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
With all due respect, after many years of commuting the average vehicle will be worth less than the price of replacing its engine.

-Penguin

As Tupac said we replace aircraft engines all the time as it's too expensive to just buy a new aircraft. Regarding the car engines unless you have a very cheap car replacing an engine will be cheaper than buying a new car.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »
Im bout to drop an engine in my dad old dodge pickup because its cheaper then buying a used car and i know what im getting with it.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »
You've neglected depreciation and repairs.  Let's look at a car from 2000 (a made up car):

Mileage at purchase: 30 mpg
Value at purchse: $10,000

Upon leaving the lot, it instantly suffers a depreciation of 40% (standard)

It's new value is $6,000, significatnly less than before

Let's say that nothing major goes wrong until the warranty expires (typical)

Let's say that it takes $1,000 of repairs (usual)

It's new value is $5,000, and as a result of daily commuting, its engine has worn down to 25mpg

So now its 2004, and we have what is now known as a 'beater'.   A beater will progressively suffer worse and worse failures until the whole thing just stop and dies.

2 years pass, and another $1,000 of repairs, and the engine falls to 22mpg

Now it's 2006, and the car is worth a measely $4,000.  Couple in the dings, the dents, and dogbats associated with daily use and its down to $3,000

So, after an oil change, the owner drives out, forgets to shift into a higher gear, and just keeps pushing the pedal.  KA-KLUNK.  That's the sound of steel cracking.  Uh-oh.  Considering that the towing cost is negligible and the negotiations instant, we can neglect any costs associated with those.  Find me a respectable dealership that will replace a 6-year-old engine in a car of as many years for a price low enough to make driving that beater, and paying for its aggravating and expensive repairs, for a few more years worth it and I'll eat my hat.

-Penguin

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
A new engine for my plane costs 25k.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
Here is how much a turbine battery cost. Now imagine that x30 for a electric airplane

http://www.skygeek.com/concorde-rg-445e-aircraft-battery.html

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2012, 12:34:28 AM »
Here is how much a turbine battery cost. Now imagine that x30 for a electric airplane

http://www.skygeek.com/concorde-rg-445e-aircraft-battery.html

That's cheap.

Last I checked a NIB battery for my airplane is $12,000.

Windshields are $50,000 per side.

I did look up what the cinch-strap gust locks were though. $184 for 4 feet of nylon webbing and a pair of cinches.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:17 AM »
That's cheap.

Last I checked a NIB battery for my airplane is $12,000.

Windshields are $50,000 per side.

I did look up what the cinch-strap gust locks were though. $184 for 4 feet of nylon webbing and a pair of cinches.

Holy crap! What model Lear do you fly?