Author Topic: How to attack A B-29  (Read 2445 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: How to attack A B-29
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
Sawed the wing off one last night in my P47D25

Dora will chew them up also
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:38:56 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
I saw a B29 up at 28k, I took a 262 up that high to have a go, bugger all was happening in my immediate area.
It took a few illfated passes, I managed to lose a few parts, but I eventually set his right outboard engine aflame.
Really is a bizarre feeling flying up that high, and one 'ell of a fall for that B29 :D
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
I saw a B29 up at 28k, I took a 262 up that high to have a go, bugger all was happening in my immediate area.
It took a few illfated passes, I managed to lose a few parts, but I eventually set his right outboard engine aflame.
Really is a bizarre feeling flying up that high, and one 'ell of a fall for that B29 :D

Buff hunting, although it requires some investment in climbout and interception at altitude, I find always a fun, rewarding (after a while you learn good tools/planes for the job and how to beter use them) and challenging sortie.  If it's a busier night, you can net more than one customer around the strats or a popular base target, although rearms and re-climbouts may be necessary.

These missions, probabley because I tend to fly during prime times also, tend to frequently (~20%) also place you at ideal locations, with ideal loadouts, and at an ideal time (often times already airborne) for a small or large enemy bomber mission to intercept.  They also though, just as frequently, end in no contact or sighting, but if you have patience (and a good 6-pack and/or a new music albumb or something like that to absorb while at it) and like the challenge and different world of flying above 20k, it's something to get out of this game if you haven't before.

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:22 PM »
Buff hunting, although it requires some investment in climbout and interception at altitude, I find always a fun, rewarding (after a while you learn good tools/planes for the job and how to beter use them) and challenging sortie.  If it's a busier night, you can net more than one customer around the strats or a popular base target, although rearms and re-climbouts may be necessary.

These missions, probabley because I tend to fly during prime times also, tend to frequently (~20%) also place you at ideal locations, with ideal loadouts, and at an ideal time (often times already airborne) for a small or large enemy bomber mission to intercept.  They also though, just as frequently, end in no contact or sighting, but if you have patience (and a good 6-pack and/or a new music albumb or something like that to absorb while at it) and like the challenge and different world of flying above 20k, it's something to get out of this game if you haven't before.

I gotta try that.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »
I gotta try that.

Just do be careful and hopefuly enjoying yourself regardless of potentialy making any rushed decisions that results in a lost wing or major component after already flying in that plane for like an hour.   :aok
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
Good music and a full glass are also requirements for these missions.

I like the hunt.
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »
Make no mistake, after you have invested 30 minutes to be in the right place, at the right time, the wife ack will come up to you and start hammering away 5 seconds before you need to fire on that perfect approach.  It took you 30 minutes to get there, but she will cross the living room in about 3 seconds.
Wag more, bark less.

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
Make no mistake, after you have invested 30 minutes to be in the right place, at the right time, the wife ack will come up to you and start hammering away 5 seconds before you need to fire on that perfect approach.  It took you 30 minutes to get there, but she will cross the living room in about 3 seconds.

Your wife is that slow?   :D :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:58 PM »
Buff hunting, although it requires some investment in climbout and interception at altitude, I find always a fun, rewarding (after a while you learn good tools/planes for the job and how to beter use them) and challenging sortie.  If it's a busier night, you can net more than one customer around the strats or a popular base target, although rearms and re-climbouts may be necessary.

Seems to be quite a few of you who enjoy it. A couple weeks ago we had a base pretty close to an enemy strat so I decided to up some b24s and have at it.

Got my first pass on target but immediately afterward I encountered resistance. Shot down two, turned back, and blew up some more targets before I started heading home. Ended up with 6 kills before I lost the last b24 to a p47 that I just couldn't get the lucky shot on with waning ammunition. I wanted so bad to return home after a sortie like that but they just wouldn't let up. Never expected such an exciting fight, though. Was a lot of fun.

Next time I hit a strat I guess I'll climb higher than 13K.  :aok
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:34:43 PM by sntslilhlpr6601 »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 10:43:09 PM »
Seems to be quite a few of you who enjoy it. A couple weeks ago we had a base pretty close to an enemy strat so I decided to up some b24s and have at it.

Got my first pass on target but immediately afterward I encountered resistance. Shot down two, turned back, and blew up some more targets before I started heading home. Ended up with 6 kills before I lost the last b24 to a p47 that I just couldn't get the lucky shot on with waning ammunition. I wanted so bad to return home after a sortie like that but they just wouldn't let up. Never expected such an exciting fight, though. Was a lot of fun.

Next time I hit a strat I guess I'll climb higher than 13K.  :aok

Sounds like 6 guys that aren't all that good at killing buffs.  Tell you what: send me a p.m. the next time you are in 13k bombers. :aok

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »
Haha, you got that right.

I still made some good shots, though.  :D

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »

Next time I hit a strat I guess I'll climb higher than 13K.  :aok

What's your ingame ID please.  FYI, I am a buff hunter and I have a short list of buff pilots I respect so much that I always let the last one return home.  Anyone hittin the strats below 20k is probably going to be on that list, at leat temporarily.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:30 AM »
mikey15  :aok

Yeah, I'm not much for climbing to ridiculous heights. Both because it takes too damn long and the fact that I enjoy having stuff to shoot at. Buffs just get too much of an advantage once you get high enough, imo. And my aim with the bombers is something that came back almost immediately after I returned from my ~3 year hiatus less than a month ago. I fire a mean flak shell too if I do say so myself.  :D Can't say the same for my fighter gunnery, though.  :headscratch:

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
People hitting strats are not safe at any altitude.