Author Topic: CV Ack vs Fighters  (Read 1226 times)

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
CV Ack vs Fighters
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
I know, the CV ack discussion is a dead horse.
But it's so annoying I reckon it needs another round of thrashing.

Here's my CV ack game. You need:

A dice.
A Hammer, preferably large and heavy.

Roll the dice. If it shows 6 you take the hammer and hit your toes as hard as you can.
Rinse and repeat.

This is exactly what our ack coad is like. I have not played a lot lately and just wanted a bit of a2a action today. My fighter had no bombs and was several miles out. Second dice roll - my left wing is gone.
Please, can we have some solution to the CV ack hits fighters problem? It's not working right now, it kills fighters easily but has yet to impress any bomber pilot on a CV run. I don't mind getting shot down by other players, but dice rolls of some flak coding that decide if you live is aggravating in a multiplayer game.

Yes, cheese, please.  :)

veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: CV Ack vs Fighters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
Leitwolf,...+1 from me. Let's the crap out of this dead horse until it's fixed.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
well,

i allways say, if the ack in RL was like the AH2 CV acks, noone ever would build any planes, all you need are 12 88 flaks and thats it to win the war!

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »
well,

i allways say, if the ack in RL was like the AH2 CV acks, noone ever would build any planes, all you need are 12 88 flaks and thats it to win the war!

CV ack is just a score tard trying to compete with trees for #1 spot on "who gets the most kills"
JG 52

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
well,

If RL ack were like AH2 ack japs would never have laid a bomb/kamakazie on an american cv.
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »
well,

If RL ack were like AH2 ack japs would never have laid a bomb/kamakazie on an american cv.

Such misguided statements are almost laughable... almost.
See Rule #4

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »

Such misguided statements are almost laughable... almost.

+1

Look up the stats for the number of Japanese planes shot down during the invasion of Okinawa.

I have found the cv ack that gives me the most trouble is the manned kind. Otherwise it hasn't really been a problem for me.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
lol make AH ack even close to what it was in RL and you wont even get close to the ships. never ever.
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline dstrip2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »
well still, id like to know im actually being shot at than just having a range where you depend on chance to not die. if im being engaged by a cv gun or battery there are things i can do in a fighter to make their fire less effective. the chance method we have right now entirely discounts the pilot. warbirds 1.x had better 'heavy' ack imo

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »
I learned to increase my odds of surviving ack my constantly moving.  Whether up and down or side to side,  you go straight for more than a few seconds you're done.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »
Want to have some fun with puffy ack, take up an I-16 to 2,900ft then level and get as fast as you can, climb straight up and see if you can survive the ack before you stall out. One of these days ill have to try it with an Me-262 to see how long I can last.
JG 52

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:16:33 AM »
well still, id like to know im actually being shot at than just having a range where you depend on chance to not die. if im being engaged by a cv gun or battery there are things i can do in a fighter to make their fire less effective. the chance method we have right now entirely discounts the pilot. warbirds 1.x had better 'heavy' ack imo

think of it this way.. It only took about 8years to get the puffy a second look and fix the 'kill all around bug'... At least now its only randomizing one plane at a time.. I call it progress!

Offline Vasco

• Zinc Member
      • Black Knights
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:49:35 AM »
The point is:

CV ack does deadly hits to fighters, no matter how far away they are and no matter how much you are evading.
I'd expect it would get at least more inaccurate at distance, but this seems not to be the case.
Flying a fighter you can only game around it by flying lower than somebody else, so the ack concentrates its fires on him or her.

In contrast, I did a lot of bombing runs on CVs recently in B-17s/26s and I never got any hits in those (maybe a fuel or oil leak at best), except from manned 5" mosty right above the CV.
Programmed ack simply can't hit anything that flies slow on a linear course.

The CV or field auto acks always concentrating on a single target (the highest one) is another issue...

Cheers,
Vasco
Black Knights

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:33 AM »
well,

You have it completely backwards.  If AH modeled AA realistically, you'd rarely get near the CV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
more dispersion is the solution, because a flak or cannon fired from a ship has do deal with the rolling of ships. That means nothing more, add some more dispersion and all is fine

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/