Author Topic: Gunnery Question  (Read 2233 times)

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
Gunnery Question
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »
ok at the risk of sounding stoopid :P

I live in Australia and my ping is usually 250.  If I am fighting a guy who lives next door to AH's server who has a ping of say 50, does this mean his aircraft is actually 200ms (250-50=200) further ahead from what I see on my screen?

The reason I ask is when I practice gunnery in offline I get the deflection required to make hits, but then taking that into the MA, what seems like a simple shot, i.e. a con plane filling my gunsight and sometimes all my windscreen, my pipper is aimed at his cockpit as he has just stalled and is hanging there like a cherry, I pull the trigger pouring rounds into him and nothing happens .. he flies away and I am left in bewilderment.

Or is this rubber bullet syndrome .. ?? 

Its particularly evident if I am flying the 38, which makes no sense I know but I cant seem to hit anything with nose mounted guns.

NikonGuy :)

You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Re: Gunnery Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:26:51 AM »
If it happens on your screen it happens to him too.  Regardless of what's happening in real time.

You'll notice this when you get shot down by a plane after they come flying past you.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »
For aim and bullet strike, lag does not play much of a part. From what I understand, if you register hits on your computer, it should register, through the server to his machine. If you have rubber bullets, try turning verticle synch off. Hope this helps. If I am wrong, I am sure I will be corrected.

When I was playing with 700+ ms ping, I did not have to alter my lead and this is what I am basing all my answer on.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
I think Tom5572 meant to say make sure vertical sync is ON.

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
Probably, i can never remember right, CRS  :lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
Offline the con is turning in a constant long circle. No deviation.

Online there is a real person in the other plane doing everything he can to not get hit. :D

Offline gets your feet wet. Online gets your site picture in focus.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
just ask silat for her 2 for 1 package.   

teen squelch hack

and

aim bot   $10  dolla!       she love you long time.   

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
ok at the risk of sounding stoopid :P

I live in Australia and my ping is usually 250.  If I am fighting a guy who lives next door to AH's server who has a ping of say 50, does this mean his aircraft is actually 200ms (250-50=200) further ahead from what I see on my screen?

The reason I ask is when I practice gunnery in offline I get the deflection required to make hits, but then taking that into the MA, what seems like a simple shot, i.e. a con plane filling my gunsight and sometimes all my windscreen, my pipper is aimed at his cockpit as he has just stalled and is hanging there like a cherry, I pull the trigger pouring rounds into him and nothing happens .. he flies away and I am left in bewilderment.

Or is this rubber bullet syndrome .. ?? 

Its particularly evident if I am flying the 38, which makes no sense I know but I cant seem to hit anything with nose mounted guns.

NikonGuy :)

When it comes to hitting what you're shooting at, don't worry about lag at all. 

All that matters is what you see, on your screen.  If you can hit it, your opponents airplane will take damage; no matter what he sees on his end.  It doesn't matter what your ping is, or what his is, or what they add up to be.  Shoot the enemy that you see on your screen.

That's for gunnery...

When it comes to the lag (and the difference between what you see and what he sees), that effects you (and him) in collisions.  That's different.  They're not modeled the same.

Back to gunnery...

Knocking your opponent down isn't just a result of hitting him.  "Lighting him up like a Christmas tree" really isn't such a great thing.  That's because you need to concentrate enough rounds into a small enough section of his plane to cause failure.  Sprinkling holes all over him doesn't work well (unless it's with large, exploding cannon rounds).

MG's primarily just poke holes in the other guy, and the vast majority of his plane will function just fine with holes poked in it. 

So sprinkling him all over won't knock him down; it'll just poke holes in him.  Do that enough, and you'll luck out and knock a control surface off, which will effect his ability to dodge your shots and will allow you to sprinkle him some more.  Sprinkle him enough, and a big piece will eventually fall off...  However, the number of rounds required to kill him will be quite a bit higher than the rounds required if you could hit him with all of your rounds in a concentrated spot.

It's very common for newer players (and even those with quite a bit of time) to be firing too far away, while hitting their opponent at ranges other than their convergence is set at (which is probably set out too far as well), not landing enough hits to cause catastrophic damage, and not concentrating their rounds into a small, important structural area.  They will expend lots of ammo in the process, and require more (and longer-lasting) shot opportunities to be successful.  That's all part of the learning process though.

It's also possible (but far less probable, IME) that you have something less-than-optimal) with your computer settings that's causing "rubber bullets".  Like the other mentioned, check your V-Sync.

It'll probably help you out to fly a plane with nose guns (the 38 has great guns) and plenty of ammo.  You'll also find that while the bullets will generally go where the sight is, putting your sight on the other guy will seldom result in hits, even when your opponent appears to be pretty stationary.

Practice a LOT.  Go somewhere (TA or DA) where you can shoot A LOT without spending so much time flying to the flights.  Concentrate on hitting your target, and taking the best shots you can set up.  Get close!  D200 is perfect, D400 is starting to get out there a ways...  You'll still land hits out there (and even further) but they won't be as effective.  Set your convergence in the 300yd range, give or take 25-50 yards.  If that doesn't seem effective enough, your convergence is NOT the problem.  You'll eventually hear that turning your tracers off will help.  I wouldn't recommend that, but that's up to you.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
Lag really doesn't affect wether shots hit or not. Warping, which is caused by packet loss IIRC (similar to lag), can, but as far as I know, lag itself doesn't affect.

As I understand it:
-Any hits you see land on your screen affect him.
-Any he sees land on you affect you.
-Any collision with objects that you see affect you, any he sees affects him.
-Any collisions with planes that happen on your screen only happen to you, unless they also coincide with collisions that he sees on his screen, in which case you both get a collision (which is why you get different collision messages, "you have collided with XXXX", and "XXXX has collided with you")
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
So our tracers are not giving us the false image warned about to 8th airforce gunners that the flare circle you are visualy tracking with your eye is delayed from where the actual round is?

I've looked at slow motion film of my offline drone chasing at a few feet from the drones parts being impacted by my rounds. The tracers looked and acted alot more like plazma bolts from games like Quake and Halo. If the leading tip of the streak touched the airframe a hit flash resulted. Then there was the film that surprised me into realising not all the rounds in your belt in AH are tracers....especialy with the Mk108.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
If a tracer shows a hit, then unless something's going screwy some where with the coad, a hit will be recorded.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:11 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys .. and clearing up a lot of misconceptions I had about lag etc :)

Hmmm I do think my v-sync is off so I will get that sorted :)

Silat has a 2 for 1 sale .. cool :P I saw aimbot in eBay for $3.99 hehe..

Cheers

NG
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:44 AM »
So our tracers are not giving us the false image warned about to 8th airforce gunners that the flare circle you are visualy tracking with your eye is delayed from where the actual round is?

I've looked at slow motion film of my offline drone chasing at a few feet from the drones parts being impacted by my rounds. The tracers looked and acted alot more like plazma bolts from games like Quake and Halo. If the leading tip of the streak touched the airframe a hit flash resulted. Then there was the film that surprised me into realising not all the rounds in your belt in AH are tracers....especialy with the Mk108.

Assuming 1 in 5 rounds is tracer how do you match a hit sprite with a particular tracer streak?

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
Question: What does vsync have to do with anything?

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »

I have seen similar things, but I think the issue here is that the paths of objects in the film viewer are not always identical to what they were in the game when it was being recorded.

I think it has to do with the number of sample points that the physics engine uses when placing the objects in the game (high), compared to the number of sample points that are actually recorded for the film (low).