Author Topic: Air Combat Training for idiots  (Read 3171 times)

Offline DrJackyI

• Zinc Member
Air Combat Training for idiots
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »
So there seems to be quite a few ppl who think they know about ACM's and such. Well over 90 percent of the comments i have seen ppl post about ACM's, have absolutely NO idea of what they are talking about. If I had a month to do thread research here in the forums, i would be able to fill pages of misguided thoughts and comments. below is a link to the Wiki page, which yes not all info in wiki is acurate but a good majority is, and u can tell the accurate info just by doing more research to verify what it says. The link below should help guide some of yall know it alls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_combat_manoeuvring

Now also i have taken a few sentances and posted them here for those that are too lazy to research proper ACM tactics.

Air combat manoeuvring (also spelled: air combat maneuvering, or ACM) is the art of manoeuvring a combat aircraft in order to attain a position from which an attack can be made on another aircraft. It relies on offensive and defensive basic fighter manoeuvring (BFM) in order to gain an advantage over an aerial opponent.

Pilots achieved firing position while avoiding the threat of enemy guns by manoeuvring behind the enemy aircraft. This is known as getting on an aircraft's six o'clock or tail, plus a wide variety of other terms, usually coined by air crews. This type of combat became known as dogfighting. Oswald Boelcke, a German fighter ace during World War One, was the first to publish the basic rules for aerial combat manoeuvring in 1916, known as the Dicta Boelcke.[4][5] He advised pilots to attack from the direction of the sun (towards which the defending pilot could not see), or to fly at a higher altitude than the opponent. Most of these rules are still as valuable nowadays as they were a century ago.

A pilot in combat attempts to conserve his aircraft’s energy through carefully timed and executed manoeuvres. By using such manoeuvres, a pilot will often make trade offs between the fighter’s potential energy (altitude), and kinetic energy (airspeed), to maintain the energy-to-weight ratio of the aircraft, or the “specific energy”.[6] A manoeuvre such as the “low yo-yo” trades altitude for airspeed to gain closure on an enemy, and to decrease turn radius. The opposite manoeuvre, a “high yo-yo” trades speed for height, literally storing energy in “the altitude bank”,[8] which allows a fast moving attacker to slow his closing speed.[6][9]

The manoeuvres employed by the attacker can also be used by the defender to evade, or gain a tactical advantage over his opponent. Other components may also be employed to manoeuvre the aircraft, such as yaw, drag, lift, and thrust vectors.[6] A key factor in all battles is that of "nose-tail separation." While getting close enough to fire a weapon, an attacker must keep his aircraft's nose far enough away from the tail of the defender to be able to get a good aim, and to prevent an overshoot. The defender, likewise, will use every manoeuvre available to encourage an overshoot, trying to change his own role to that of attacker.[6]

LOL have fun understanding what this means, I know that for some of yall it will be total gibberish

Offline Moelders

• Zinc Member
Re: Air Combat Training for idiots
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
Wikipedia, the best source of information--too bad anyone can change it.
JG5-Eismeer
AkA PapaJohn
AkA Moelders
AkA Yoda
AkA Olds

Offline DrJackyI

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »
Wikipedia, the best source of information--too bad anyone can change it.

lol yeap and especially to bad for those that are to lazy to do more research to confirm or deny what they have read.... or in other words VERIFY that the info is accurate

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
At least the idiots haven't decided that attacking from the 6 position isn't unethical because it's attacking the "undefended" portion of their airplane.

I'm always looking to improve my acm skills and appreciate your good work.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:39:45 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
coming soon from SDJackyl  - "Forum Combat Training for idiots"  
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
coming soon from SDJackyl  - "Forum Combat Training for idiots"  
It's obviously a 'By Example' kind of training.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
The fact that maneuvering is spelled incorrectly in your source kinda kills you're cool story.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
Someone new to the forums who shoots from the hip.  Interesting. 

:rofl
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline DrJackyI

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
Someone new to the forums who shoots from the hip.  Interesting.  

:rofl

ok wise guy, pull up any "VALID" information that denys what the meaning of it all is???

maybe a ACM that is a HO shot????????//.......LMAO!!

or any other discussion presented by the article that is not currently used in EVERY nations military force that has aircraft whether it be winged or not winged.  ????

ummmm guess that will be when hell freezes over !! :devil

and that goes for u 2 PERDUE !!!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:04:09 PM by DrJackyI »

Offline Moelders

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »
ok wise guy, pull up any "VALID" information that denys what the meaning of it all is???

maybe a ACM that is a HO shot????????//.......LMAO!!

or any other discussion presented by the article that is not currently used in EVERY nations military force that has aircraft whether it be winged or not winged.  ????

ummmm guess that will be when hell freezes over !! :devil

and that goes for u 2 PERDUE !!!!

What are your qualifications to state the above?  Curious minds want to know how you know what every military force in the world does and does not teach.
JG5-Eismeer
AkA PapaJohn
AkA Moelders
AkA Yoda
AkA Olds

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
who are you>?

Infidelz

Offline DrJackyI

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
What are your qualifications to state the above?  Curious minds want to know how you know what every military force in the world does and does not teach.

Really no sense in it but for ur curiousty !! Ex TM torpeomans m8 for the USN, Ex aircraft structures mechanic for Timco where I worked on an experimental airframe refabrication on Boeing 767's, where if u REALLY WANT TO LOOK LIKE AN DOUHNUT HOLE, I can actually put u intouch with a HR rep at the company that can verify it !! but ofcourse if u want it that bad U will probably REALLY have to ask for her forgiveness just so u dont sound like a "___"

Listen bud I flew my first plane at 12 years old, whether u WISH to accept that sometimes there ARE ppl qualified to speak on a WIDE varielty of subjects that u might not be as educated as u think u are, is up to U, but beware that closed mindedness is the shield to hide low intelligence !

<salute>

and just so u know u would be VERY surprised at all the imformation at ur fingertips if u really truely wanted to make urself a better person and atleast educate ur self on things that u find possibly interesting.

NO OFFENSE meant, but I have always believed that if u do not know details of a subject to back up what things u might say by involving the rest of humanity into a social enterprise then PLEASE stay away from me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:03:16 PM by DrJackyI »

Offline DrJackyI

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
At least the idiots haven't decided that attacking from the 6 position isn't unethical because it's attacking the "undefended" portion of their airplane.

I'm always looking to improve my acm skills and appreciate your good work.
:salute

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
So there seems to be quite a few ppl who think they know about ACM's and such. Well over 90 percent of the comments i have seen ppl post about ACM's, have absolutely NO idea of what they are talking about. If I had a month to do thread research here in the forums, i would be able to fill pages of misguided thoughts and comments. below is a link to the Wiki page, which yes not all info in wiki is acurate but a good majority is, and u can tell the accurate info just by doing more research to verify what it says. The link below should help guide some of yall know it alls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_combat_manoeuvring

Now also i have taken a few sentances and posted them here for those that are too lazy to research proper ACM tactics.

Air combat manoeuvring (also spelled: air combat maneuvering, or ACM) is the art of manoeuvring a combat aircraft in order to attain a position from which an attack can be made on another aircraft. It relies on offensive and defensive basic fighter manoeuvring (BFM) in order to gain an advantage over an aerial opponent.

Pilots achieved firing position while avoiding the threat of enemy guns by manoeuvring behind the enemy aircraft. This is known as getting on an aircraft's six o'clock or tail, plus a wide variety of other terms, usually coined by air crews. This type of combat became known as dogfighting. Oswald Boelcke, a German fighter ace during World War One, was the first to publish the basic rules for aerial combat manoeuvring in 1916, known as the Dicta Boelcke.[4][5] He advised pilots to attack from the direction of the sun (towards which the defending pilot could not see), or to fly at a higher altitude than the opponent. Most of these rules are still as valuable nowadays as they were a century ago.

A pilot in combat attempts to conserve his aircraft’s energy through carefully timed and executed manoeuvres. By using such manoeuvres, a pilot will often make trade offs between the fighter’s potential energy (altitude), and kinetic energy (airspeed), to maintain the energy-to-weight ratio of the aircraft, or the “specific energy”.[6] A manoeuvre such as the “low yo-yo” trades altitude for airspeed to gain closure on an enemy, and to decrease turn radius. The opposite manoeuvre, a “high yo-yo” trades speed for height, literally storing energy in “the altitude bank”,[8] which allows a fast moving attacker to slow his closing speed.[6][9]

The manoeuvres employed by the attacker can also be used by the defender to evade, or gain a tactical advantage over his opponent. Other components may also be employed to manoeuvre the aircraft, such as yaw, drag, lift, and thrust vectors.[6] A key factor in all battles is that of "nose-tail separation." While getting close enough to fire a weapon, an attacker must keep his aircraft's nose far enough away from the tail of the defender to be able to get a good aim, and to prevent an overshoot. The defender, likewise, will use every manoeuvre available to encourage an overshoot, trying to change his own role to that of attacker.[6]

LOL have fun understanding what this means, I know that for some of yall it will be total gibberish

What makes you such a expert?
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline DrJackyI

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
What makes you such a expert?

lol Im done <S>