Author Topic: P51D vs Yak9U  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: P51D vs Yak9U
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »
the f4u-4 is the best prop plane in the game bar-none, if your not owning in it, your doing something wrong.

Quoted for truth...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »
F4U-4, better in stall fight then 109s?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
  The p51 would boom and zoom the yak till the yak runs out of fuel.  One of the main reasons I hate the 2x fuel burn rate, is the effect it has on the Yak's and the La5.  Their flight time is pretty laughable, by the time you find an enemy who is actually willing to put up a fight, it's time to RTB.  It's a shame, because I used to fly the La5 alot in Air Warrior, in Aces it's not much fun.  If we could just go to a 1.5 fuel burn it would solve most of the problem.  I'm not saying the Yak's and the la5 are impossible, but they sure get a raw deal in this game.

Helm...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »

Boo

And the Spitfires (8 and 16).... Both the 109s (F through K) and mid war Spits would own the F4U-1 series in the vertical. The F4U-4 takes that away. Plus, the Corsair can get flaps out 100 mph faster.

I urge everyone who may be interested to get a dueling partner and head to the TA (not DA, where planes actually get shot up) and fight a series of duels. F4U-4 against anything...

Here's an example of what I learned over my 11 years of Aces High.

I'm flying an F4U-1D. Urchin (old-timers will remember Urchin as a top stick) was flying a Spit16. Off of the Merge, the F4U-1D can get angles quicker than the Spit due to being able to get the flaps out quickly. More often than not, this results in a snap shot opportunity. Score well and the fight is over. Miss, or do minor damage and the advantage will swing to the Spitfire. Why? Because the Spit is far superior in the vertical. Thus, the longer the fight goes, the greater the advantage for the Spitfire. Within a few minutes, Urchin would get above me enough that I could not keep my nose up enough. Eventually, he would get his shot and the F4U would take a pounding. The result is very similar when we match the F4U-1A vs the Bf 109F.

Co-E, Co-Alt with equal pilots, the F4U-4 is more than a match for any fighter.

Here's another interesting match-up... Tempest vs Spit14, stall fight. Our findings, having done this many times with very good pilots.... The Tempest usually wins.

Tempest vs La-7 duel... La-7 usually wins.

Just keep in mind that controlled circumstance duels type fights in the MA are very rare. Thus, the results don't always translate to the main arenas. Nonetheless, that's why some us of test the heck out the every fighter when they were (are) released.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
You talked me into it. I'll give the D-hog a shot.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »
D hog is my favorite. I use to be pretty good in it but took a long break from flying it. I'm trying to get back into it now, but with trackIR it's a bit tougher. It's a fun plane. I fly it a lot like a 38 in that it BnZs well, but then if you need to get down a dirty you can as  long as your not in the middle of 3 or 4 bad guys.

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
51 will own a yak only if he's not paying attention...

I hunt 51s in my yak because they're easy kills.  Best thing for a 51 to do when a Yak is around is RUN....
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
One of the best fights I ever had was with a 51 driven by Waystin2.

We started out fairly high and wound up on the deck  turning and twisting so slow I thought we would would both just drop like a stone.

Pretty rare you'll get a guy who will just turn fight in a 51 just for the plain fun of it. Full flaps, falling out the sky, knuckle draggin fun.

Btw,I was in an La-7.

Great fight Waystin!! :rock
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
Any evening after 9 PM (U.S. Eastern) next week... I suggest you go offline and practice. Not flying the Mustang, but staying inside the boundaries of the field in it. That, in itself can be a challenge. You'll find this type of fight a great deal of fun.
Monday is the best night for me.  Say 9 pm eastern?
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
If the P51 wasn't such a crappy dogfighter more people would dogfight with it  :bolt:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
If the P51 wasn't such a crappy dogfighter more people would dogfight with it  :bolt:

I'm surprised that they can fly straight at all.

At those runaway speeds you'd think that their skirts blowing up and covering their heads would limit their vision. Thus sending them plummeting into the ground as a mass of flames, hairpins, purse dogs, perfume, stockings, high heels and broken fingernails.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:42:33 PM by 1Boner »
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
Yak strategy would be not to run out of gas/ammo chasing the Mustang after every "Hail Mary" pass.

P-51D strategy would be the same as any other time it encounters a single con by itself:  BnZ/extend until the Yak runs out of gas.

a semi decent yak player can kill the pony every time.  but most yak fliers think it's a c205.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
a semi decent yak player can kill the pony every time.  but most yak fliers think it's a c205.

semp

only if the poney stays to fight

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
I fly the Yak occasionally - you can definitely kill a Pony with it.  Many of the pony drivers like to try to dive away the minute a fight takes a turn against them, and the Yak is one of the rides that can stay with a diving pony. 

If you want to really put a scare into someone, take a Yak over a field where someone is trying to vulch with 262s down low.  The Yak is fully controllable at 500+, so if you set it up right you can dive on a 262 and actually have a chance of catching him if he isn't careful. 

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

Boo

yes, and f4u-4 would chew them up...

Despit all the clout around the late war 109s, they aren't that 'amazing'.  If you look at it as a spectrum of fighting from Strict BnZ to TnB, all the 109s fall somewhere in the middle, La7s for example have better turn and are faster below 12k, 190D9s are faster too, and on the other side, many aircraft can easly out turn them, from f4us(with flaps) to spits, ki84s, nikis, zeros, etc.... On top of that, late war spits climb as well as 109s.

The only argument one can say is the G14/K4 are fast, and regain 'e' quickly but then again, unlike all the other fast planes, the controls lock up. A K4 in level flight can reach conditions where the controls get heavy. Also, the 30mm gun does not lend itself well traditional BnZ attacks compared to 50 cals or hispanos which have an almost flat trajectory.

All in all, the 'clout' around 109s is more due to the pilots than to the plane, just be thankful grizz wasn't flying p40Bs, or everyone would be claiming they are 'uber' too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:02:32 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)