Author Topic: what is the point of bombing HQ  (Read 795 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
what is the point of bombing HQ
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
I destroyed HQ today and it seems to come right back up.  From reading the help I see that auto resupply knocks off 30 minutes and player resupply knocks off 15.  I can't tell how often the resupply vessel, (train, convoy, barge,) spawns but if its the same system as around the ports it seems pretty frequent.  What is the real down time of HQ without player resupply? I don't mean to whine but it seems a little pointless given how much time it takes to get there and the poor odds of surviving with the range counter and the flashing strats and all.

Relatedly, the numbers for guns down seems to be 180 which is 3 hours and the number for barge down seems to be 600 which is 10 hours (am I reading this wrong?)  I'm pretty sure I've killed the barge twice in 20 minutes so can someone explain this system a little? Is it possible to kill the resupply to a base and keep guns down for 180 or what is the best you can do? 
Pies not kicks.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
Re: what is the point of bombing HQ
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »
The "point" is to fly your favorite bombers around the map, enjoying the hum of the engines, avoiding radar, surviving Bomber hunters, hitting your target, and making it home. I used to be enthralled with this when we had great bomber hunters in the game, "even tho I mostly lost". I have a TV near my system and often would go on a long, lone bomber mission watching baseball or hockey while doing it. Often I'd just picture in my head the WW2 aircrew trying to get to target and survive to get home.

And should you drop HQ you cause a problem cause then many enemy have to drop what their doing and fly goons to get it up again.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
O.K. I get what your saying, kinda broadly speaking that applies to all of the game.  I've bombed the strats and thats like what your describing, the HQ is a little disappointing though because you can actually destroy it completely but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, If I knew it took 20 player resupply missions to re-up that would be much more satisfying though I take your broader point about the point being to play the game.

Any idea about the base resupply times/arrangement?
Pies not kicks.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:17 AM »
If a single player could shut down HQ for an extended period of time this would have been a very bad gaming experience for most players.

The arena is intended for many players at the same time and favors cooperation between them. If you want to hurt the other nation by keeping their HQ down you need to organize a few players from your country and repeatedly hit HQ to keep it down. Also, I think that bombing cities slows down HQ recovery. Of course, such operations will attract a lot of resistance from the opposing country which is a GOOD thing - both strategically (keep them on the defense) and most importantly, for FUN!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:01 AM »
O.K. I get what your saying, kinda broadly speaking that applies to all of the game.  I've bombed the strats and thats like what your describing, the HQ is a little disappointing though because you can actually destroy it completely but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, If I knew it took 20 player resupply missions to re-up that would be much more satisfying though I take your broader point about the point being to play the game.

Any idea about the base resupply times/arrangement?

Some say these times are off, other say the are the same. It's a good starting place either way. http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Flight-Sim-Information/aces-high-help-gameplay.html#ss

The strat work and if a squad had a mind to, they could cripple a front with ease. A few guys to hit HQ, and few to flatten the Ammo depot, and the rest pork the ammo on the front line base. If timed out well you could have a front with no ammo for hours unless others started running supplies. It takes co-ordination and timing. It would force the opposing team to start paying attention to HQ/depot attacks as well as taking the time to run supplies to get things back up. Unfortunately there aren't many willing to take the time, nor have the skill to get it done.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Some say these times are off, other say the are the same. It's a good starting place either way. http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Flight-Sim-Information/aces-high-help-gameplay.html#ss

The strat work and if a squad had a mind to, they could cripple a front with ease. A few guys to hit HQ, and few to flatten the Ammo depot, and the rest pork the ammo on the front line base. If timed out well you could have a front with no ammo for hours unless others started running supplies. It takes co-ordination and timing. It would force the opposing team to start paying attention to HQ/depot attacks as well as taking the time to run supplies to get things back up. Unfortunately there aren't many willing to take the time, nor have the skill to get it done.

Unfortunately, in my experience, whenever you take a strat target down to a level that could have any significant impact, people will go ahead and up goons to resup it.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Unfortunately, in my experience, whenever you take a strat target down to a level that could have any significant impact, people will go ahead and up goons to resup it.
Which gives you some time to try take a base while they are busy in repairs, or prepare your next HQ/factory attack to immediately bring it back down again. What the OP was expecting was that he'd be able to screw up 1/3 of the on-line players for an extended length of time without any way for them to respond after it is done. Flying resupply goons is punishment enough for not defending HQ. Making them stay for extended period of time without radar or ammo will just make them logoff.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »
I wonder if the OP would like his country to experience having no dar for an extended period of time.  It sucks as it is.  Wish the HQ was tied to something else, other than griefing an entire country.  If leveling the HQ resulted in the victimized country's troops temporarily unable to take bases (by an arena setting, not by disabling troops), that would at least only affect the steamrollers.  Plus, it would be a more attractive target and maybe worth the trip.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »
   I think disabling ords at front line bases is more effective and less time consuming to effect an enemy's ability to attack. Sadly too few will make the effort and allow the hordes to steamroll their country whilst they furball. 
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.