Author Topic: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
Re: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Ahhh, rgr.  I know the general area.
Yea man , you need to come down when the weather gets a little better and do some trolling for crappie with me . I wear them out that way and it's a BLAST .
@steely07 , do you use any fertilizer at all ? I was thinking about trying the PVC route .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:36:54 PM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Yea man , you need to come down when the weather gets a little better and do some trolling for crappie with me . I wear them out that way and it's a BLAST .

I've been saying ever since my grandfather sold his boat that I was going to buy one.  that's one thing I love to do, and I haven't done it in a couple of years.  My best friend's dad is on Strike King's pro staff Crappie Team (and he's actually filmed two shows that's aired with them!).  We always trolled Reelfoot Lake up here.  The last Time I was in MS we fished Arkabutla.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
No doubt Steely that is about one of the most amazing things ive ever seen.   
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
I've been saying ever since my grandfather sold his boat that I was going to buy one.  that's one thing I love to do, and I haven't done it in a couple of years.  My best friend's dad is on Strike King's pro staff Crappie Team (and he's actually filmed two shows that's aired with them!).  We always trolled Reelfoot Lake up here.  The last Time I was in MS we fished Arkabutla.
WOW really . You know those pic's of catfish I posted a few week's back ? That's there they came from (Arkabutla) . Cool .

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »
I don't have a conventional garden, I do have an aquaponics system however, growing fish and vege's together in my backyard.

Here's a pic of the actual system :

(Image removed from quote.)

Basically a large fish tank below a grow bed for the plants, water is pumped from the tank to the grow bed, and returns to the tank through a siphon type device, the fish waste feeds the plants and

the plants clean the water, all I add is fishfood and the occasional top-up of water when evaporation takes a toll.

Here's a couple of trout we pulled out last year :

Beans and pumpkin growing :

corn and tomatoes that are growing at the moment :

Last years harvest of silver perch :

It's a great way to grow healthy food at home, this is just a small system as we have a small yard, but it can scale to any size, have even seen people running tiny ones using a normal goldfish bowl

some small system examples here

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1617

and large ones!

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1619

geeze steely...I might have to contact fisheries after seeing that lot...or was that 750ml  hahahha

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:53:49 PM by SPKmes »

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
@steely07 , do you use any fertilizer at all ? I was thinking about trying the PVC route .

No, 0 fertilizer, 0 chemicals, just fish food, the fish waste is rich in nitrites, naturally occurring bacteria in the grow bed converts this to nitrates and the plants use the nitrates as food.

It's an awesome way to grow food, we have people here in Australia who live in very dry climates and can't grow plants because they waste too much water, but this way you only replace a little water now

and then due to evaporation.

Today in Sydney for example, it's 35 degrees F (95C) and normal gardens are wilting and dying like mad, but mine is on a 5 min flood / 15 min drain cycle, so when I get home from work, all will be well :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
geeze steely...I might have to contact fisheries after seeing that lot...or was that 750ml  hahahha

hehe, those trout actually jumped out of the tank, found them in the morning, poor things, you're right tho, they're undersize, should been at least twice that length before they were removed to be eaten :)

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
No, 0 fertilizer, 0 chemicals, just fish food, the fish waste is rich in nitrites, naturally occurring bacteria in the grow bed converts this to nitrates and the plants use the nitrates as food.

It's an awesome way to grow food, we have people here in Australia who live in very dry climates and can't grow plants because they waste too much water, but this way you only replace a little water now

and then due to evaporation.

Today in Sydney for example, it's 35 degrees F (95C) and normal gardens are wilting and dying like mad, but mine is on a 5 min flood / 15 min drain cycle, so when I get home from work, all will be well :)
Thanks for the info . Thats just way cool ...

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
WOW really . You know those pic's of catfish I posted a few week's back ? That's there they came from (Arkabutla) . Cool .

I'm actually growing eel-tail catfish in the system at the moment, here they are when they were little :

and here's a crappy phone cam pic of them last week (they're about 20cm (12 inches) at the moment, will start eating them soon I think <G>

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »
WOW steely07 , You don't have to go fishing :) Thats two cool !
EDIT: and crawfish too !

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
I actually plan to bait a line to get these catfish out, have a new rod and reel I haven't broken in yet ;)

we call those yabbies, but I think they're the same species as crawfish, tasty little suckers too!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:16 PM »
Had a garden last year until the spring floods drowned everything I had. Last fall I raised the planting area about 8 inches and going to till some fertilizer in this spring before planting. Hopefully I will have something come out of it other then watergrass and weeds
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
Had a garden last year until the spring floods drowned everything I had. Last fall I raised the planting area about 8 inches and going to till some fertilizer in this spring before planting. Hopefully I will have something come out of it other then watergrass and weeds
I wish you good luck this year then .
@ steely07  , I like to have some cooking right now , lol .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:00:36 PM by Flench »

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »

I absolutely hate catfish lol.  I very rarely even eat it.  Arkabutla is home to some nice size Crappie.  So is Sardis.  I need to get back on the water...like I said I haven't done any serious fishing since I was in high school.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:03 PM »
I absolutely hate catfish lol.  I very rarely even eat it.  Arkabutla is home to some nice size Crappie.  So is Sardis.  I need to get back on the water...like I said I haven't done any serious fishing since I was in high school.
I don't eat catfish eather . Just Crappie and red snapper . You would or will have a BLAST if you come down here and do some trolling with me . I run Bandit crank bait's ( got over 100 of them)and crappie love them . I have  a 24 foot deck boat fixed up pretty nice . Hooked up a power supply on it last year where one can run a laptop or TV or what ever . I was using it last year for a fan and radio . Got a guest room too where one will not have to pay 100 buck's to lay their head down .
EDIT: You know Enid lake has the world record crappie on top of that .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:58:55 PM by Flench »