Author Topic: Windows 8 Beta  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Windows 8 Beta
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
W8b will be out tomorrow. Is anyone testing it and does anyone have touchscreen all ready to go for the test?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Windows 8 Beta
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
Gamers should stay away from W8 beta.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
Why do you say that? Since no one has even seen it yet I mean.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
well I have a drawing (also touch) pad and maybe I can get a laptop to test it on  :) I wouldn't mind a dl link, I do have a MS MCP live account  :banana:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
Gamers should stay away from W8 beta.

ack-ack

from some reviews I have read in the past several months, they have claimed that  Gamers should stay with Win 7 ( or Vista or XP )  and avoid trying to game with windows 8 at this current time

I have fiddled with a developers version of windows 8 around the last part of last year, and I was not impressed with it at the time

YMMV

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
from some reviews I have read in the past several months, they have claimed that  Gamers should stay with Win 7 ( or Vista or XP )  and avoid trying to game with windows 8 at this current time

I have fiddled with a developers version of windows 8 around the last part of last year, and I was not impressed with it at the time

YMMV

TC

I've had no problems with Windows 7 compared to Vista, even run some old style games in where Vista gave me crap about it (Panzer General). There is no comparison to Vista to Windows 7, I believe Ray Ozzie has done his job transforming Microsoft from a complete wreck of Vista to Windows 7. I feel pretty bad I already upgraded to Windows 7 after years of being stuck with Vista.

My only problem with Vista is the fact that after years of having it on my laptop (without any formats or major problems) I believe Vista ate up all my hard drive space. I started with 160gb, and rarely ever installed games on the C Drive, I had a storage drive to download and install all programs/games into, which was a 180GB drive as well, however over the years between updates and everything else, it just slaughtered my C Drive down to 10GB.

Not sure exactly what ate up all that, I plan to format and fresh install the laptop so I can use it for netflick viewing.
JG 52

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
We've played with Windows 8 for some time now at work, on test machines.  It's easy to see how it's meant for touchpads, touchscreens, etc.  It's also a pain in the bellybutton to navigate until you realize it's like Windows 7 with a fancy GUI for a cover.

There's no chance that we'll ever go to it, but we wanted to see what it looked like.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
I already figured out how to make W8 look like W7 so its easier to work with. Now the question is... does W8 do anything new? Is something anyone must have?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:16 AM »

YMMV

TC

According to some of our devs at my work, DirectX performance in Windows 8 is isn't as good as in Windows 7.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
My only problem with Vista is the fact that after years of having it on my laptop (without any formats or major problems) I believe Vista ate up all my hard drive space. I started with 160gb, and rarely ever installed games on the C Drive, I had a storage drive to download and install all programs/games into, which was a 180GB drive as well, however over the years between updates and everything else, it just slaughtered my C Drive down to 10GB.

System restore, file shadow copy, service packs and updates that are left on disk... all that mounts up. There are many instructions on the internet how to free disk space clearing up useless crap.

Vista/7 creates a backup of each system file that gets modified - it eats gigabytes after gigabytes after using it for years.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
Win8 is an infrastructure change for MS. Not all that many actual features. It's an attempt to make all phones, mobile devices, and PCs use the exact same OS (not a mobile variation of it like Windows CE -- the same OS).

Of note, however, is that to accomodate phones and the app installation, it means that Win8 can remotely track, install, and uninstall entire programs without your consent or your permission. Sure, they may say that's not what it's for NOW... but with that kind of big-brother loophole built in? I can't help but wonder how long it will take for them to start changing their EULA and their policies to let them do anything they want at the behest of the RIAA or the MPAA or the dept of Homeland Security.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »
Win8 is an infrastructure change for MS. Not all that many actual features. It's an attempt to make all phones, mobile devices, and PCs use the exact same OS (not a mobile variation of it like Windows CE -- the same OS).

Of note, however, is that to accomodate phones and the app installation, it means that Win8 can remotely track, install, and uninstall entire programs without your consent or your permission. Sure, they may say that's not what it's for NOW... but with that kind of big-brother loophole built in? I can't help but wonder how long it will take for them to start changing their EULA and their policies to let them do anything they want at the behest of the RIAA or the MPAA or the dept of Homeland Security.

There's always free linux that gets better and better every year. MS is destroying its own business.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Windows 8?  Hell I just bought Windows 7 last summer.

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »
Windows 8 beta for me... runs smooth and better frame rates....
Salute Gatr

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »
Windows 8 beta for me... runs smooth and better frame rates....
Salute Gatr

I just installed 8 beta on my old laptop, for older machines it practically does nothing different except you have to shut down all the fancy GUI to maintain the same frame rates I was getting in vista, I don't notice any performance difference
or anything out of the ordinary that would jump from Windows 7 to 8.

Honestly if it came down to it, I would probably go Linux on my old laptop - I had Linux Mint on my netbook and it ran wonders for years, I might consider it for the laptop, lord knows its gaming days are far over.

Most likely I won't, there's going to be hardware issues out the ass, and I really don't have time to sort them out.
JG 52