Author Topic: Some Guidlines I use when flying the FW-190 d9  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
Some Guidlines I use when flying the FW-190 d9
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »
I hesitate to post this but, what the hell.  I've been flying the Dora for awhile now and am curious what other sim pilot's observations might be with this aircraft.
I've included a dozen observations and a few tricks.  My complete list of observations runs a lot more then twelve but they get rather esoteric and some of them
haven't been completely thought out.

Hmmm...apparently posts are limited to 10,000 characters.

Crater's Personal Dora Dicta
 “I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way”
   -John Paul Jones
Within the environs of Aces High I typically fly a Focke Wulf 190D9, otherwise known as the Dora.
The Dora's strengths and weaknesses uniquely compliment (or cover) my own air combat abilities (liabilities) such that I can manage a modest amount of success playing online against people who have much better reaction time and spatial instincts.
Sometimes I'll fly a Diet Dora (FW190A5 with only two cannon) if a regular Dora is not available.  
What I really like about the Dora.
•   It can dive beautifully.
•   It can take a few hits.
•   It’s really fast.
•   Lots of ammo.
•   Rolls like a cigarette.
•   Good all-around cockpit visibility.

Please keep in mind that I have no ability to dog-fight and my accuracy is typically 2 or 3 hits scored per hundred rounds expended.  In short, I suck.

#1   Survival trumps performance.  50% of planes that take off don't come back.  If you can bring your plane back you’re better off then somebody who got seven kills and died.  I usually bring back between 0 and 2 kills on any given mission.  This is perhaps a personal opinion and other people may have different goals.  This is a game after all.  Regardless, I look at Aces High as a simulation of air combat.  I try to fly & fight as I would if it were real.  Well, not entirely, but I try to follow the parallels as best I can.
If you disagree with rule #1 you can go ahead and ignore the rest.  Everything else that follows is based on rule #1.

#2   Only attack what wants to die...AKA, only kill victims.  This one is a bit difficult to explain.  Basically there are two types of enemy planes up in the sky; targets and threats.  
Most of Air Combat Maneuvering is about positioning your aircraft so that you have no threats    while acquiring a target.  I evade threats, I run from threats.  A plane higher than me is a threat.  A plane coming head on is a threat.  A plane closing on my six is a threat.   Targets, on the other hand, are lower, slower, and not focused on me.   If I have multiple choices I will usually attack the plane that could potentially run me down.  In no particular order: ME-163, ME-262, Tempest, Typhoon, LA-7, KI-84, FW-190D9, BF-109K4, P-51.  

The pilot who can mitigate threats and acquire targets is a force to be reckoned with, but a pilot must do both.  Acquiring targets without mitigating threats is recklessness.  Mitigating threats without acquiring targets is cowardice.  It’s better to side with cowardice then recklessness if it comes to a one-or-another decision.

Sometimes nobody wants to be a victim.  It happens.  I bring my plane back and try again someplace else.  There are aces that can constantly bring down victims wherever they may be.  I’m not one of them.   Only half the pilots that take off will get kills, the other half, by mathematical necessity, become victims.   I try to avoid being part of the latter group.
My favorite victims are busy stalking and/or attacking somebody other than myself.   When I manage an attack where they don’t see me coming I have a decent chance of adding another notch.

Sadly, the typical victim does see me coming.  This is unfortunate as this gives the opposing pilot a chance to evade.  It’s one of the reasons I don’t use tracers.  I want the first indication of my presence to be bullets striking their plane.  Even if they know I’m attacking the lack of tracers means they don’t know when I am shooting unless I land hits.  Also, tracers help pilots evade by letting them know where your point of aim is.   Even if I miss they may think that I’m well-disciplined and withholding fire for the perfect attack or perhaps they think I’m out of ammo.  Denying information to the enemy is just another way of stacking the deck in my favor.  

Tracers are only useful for pilots who enjoy fur ball air combat.

Against an evading enemy I’m more likely to miss or, assuming I do land some hits, they won’t be enough to destroy the opponent.  Do I follow up with another attack?  Most likely the answer is no.  I’m busy converting speed to altitude and checking around me to ensure I haven’t become somebody else’s victim.  Only if I can ensure my own immediate safety will I decide if making another attack makes sense against an opponent who knows my intentions.   This utter lack of instantaneous reaction means that many an opportunity has slipped through my fingers.  

Proper dogfighting is securing your advantages before committing to the attack and leaving before the attack becomes a fight.  Remember:  you’re not here to fight, your only here to kill.  If you want to fight fly a Spitfire.  

#3   Know when to disengage.  Not understanding this rule probably kills more pilots than anything else.
a)   Always maintain control.  When you are no longer in control of the air combat, it’s too late.  You can only disengage when you have an advantage.  Never let air combat devolve to an even fight as, at that point your fighting to survive as much as win, and your odds of survival are now less than stellar.  If you can't disengage then you are at the mercy of new events, such as more bad guys showing up, or running low on expendables.  
b)   Leave when (or before) ammo/fuel gets low.  Duh.
c)   If you take hits its time to go back to base.  This rule is kind of weird.  The Focke Wulf is a tough plane.  It can take some hits.  The thing is, once you've taken hits, it’s no longer a tough plane. The idea of air combat is not to fight but to kill.  If you have taken hits you've messed up somehow.  Time for the mechanics to get their laughs.  The exception being attacking bombers.
d)   Just about any attack on bombers is going to cause you to take damage.  When sizing up bombers it’s best to calculate fuel load, altitude, and distance to base.  The Dora tends to receive radiator damage very quickly when taking frontal hits from bombers.   Being close to a friendly base allows you to land instead of ditching.  Fortunately, most bomber engagements usually take place near friendly bases as these are the targets of bombers.

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
Re: Some Guidlines I use when flying the FW-190 d9
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:19:03 AM »
#4   Avoid engaging in head on attacks with other fighters.  Note: I said avoid, not "don’t under any circumstances…"
   Engaging in head on attacks with other fighters will incur one, possibly two outcomes.
a)   You both miss.  Rare, but it can happen.
b)   You score hits and your adversary misses.
c)   You miss and your adversary scores hits.
d)   You both score hits on each other.
e)   You collide with him.
f)   He collides with you.
g)   You both collide.
As can be seen from the above, there is a 4 in 7 chance that you come out on the losing end of these scenarios.  Okay, two of the outcomes are mutual destruction but this is not acceptable when survival is the paramount goal.

Head on attacks are lethal.  Hits scored take out engines, pilots, and are, invariably, much more damaging as hits come at close range and intense combined speeds.  Collisions are frequent and tend to be devastating to flight controls.

There are times when engaging head on makes sense.  For instance, when you’re outnumbered and it’s the best shot you can get, and of course, victory needs no excuse.   The worst place to “head on” would be at low altitude.  A collision or lethal damage result can place your plane in an out-of-control configuration where you will have no opportunity to bail out before striking the planet.

One tip about head on attacks, keep your wings level.  If your wings are out of plane (geometrically speaking) with the opposing aircraft you stand an excellent chance of losing part or all of a wing.

As the range reaches 200 meters pull up or down sharply.  If you can’t see the opposing plane when the merge occurs, chances are, you won’t collide even if the other aircraft bores in or mimics your action.   At least, this has been my experience.  Incidentally, 200 meters from a head-on merge is only a fraction of a second removed from collision.   A lagging connection or any misjudgment in distance or reaction will be catastrophic.  I will repeat, head-on attacks are high risk.

#5   Do not attack bombers from the stern.   Head on is best (exception; never head on a B-25H).  Side attacks with some difference in altitude can also succeed.
If taking the time to set up correct positioning against bombers means somebody else gets the kill, so be it.   We are all on the same team.  The important thing is the bomber dies.  The more important thing is you don’t die.   

When attacking bombers you should expect to take hits.  Normally, if you've taken hits you should immediately disengage and land.  However, bombers are a special circumstance.  Bombers cannot dictate when you disengage as they are much slower and less maneuverable.  The criteria for disengagement are therefor based on distance from your base and the altitude in which you attack the bombers.  Most damage you receive from bombers is going to be from head on attacks.  Damage that causes oil leaks, radiator leaks, pilot wounds, or loss of control should be grounds for returning to base.  Otherwise, another pass may be possible.

When I say pass, I mean that the gun solution on a bomber should not be lengthy in duration.  A frontal attack should only provide a momentary (1 - 2 second) gun solution.  Likewise, the slashing attack from the side should only net a momentary gun solution.   Anything beyond two seconds of gun solution means the bomber has gun solution on the attacking fighter.  Don’t get impatient.  The advantage the fighter has over the bomber is you decide when to attack.  The bomber has to react to what you do.  This “should” mean that you will get gun solution before the bomber can accurately return fire.

#6   I leave the damage indicator (CTRL+D) on at all times.  Some people don’t like doing this as it can be distracting.  Actually, there is little to be annoyed with if no damage has been taken.  I’ve found that being able to quickly size up damage taken to be sometimes useful.   My bail-out button is mapped such that I can leave a disintegrating aircraft very quickly indeed.  This is, perhaps, nothing to boast of, but if my damage indicator suddenly “waterfalls” red and I’m still taking hits then I’m not going to take the time to assess the damage.   Nope, I’m hitting the silk.   Cowardice you say?  It’s been my experience that any sudden, unexpected, catastrophic damage means I’m so far out of position that there’s precious little that could be salvaged.    

#7   If pilots flew using military command-and-control the most dangerous weapon in a fighter would be the radio.  As it is, the radio is still a useful tool.  Figure out the friendlies around you.  If you get in trouble call them by name and ask for assistance.   If you are low and slow and there are friendlies coming in hot and high, they'd love to hear from you as you describe a target to them.  There is no place for pride when the chips are down.  Use every tool you got.

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »
#8   When attacking from above its best to dive down, level out (slightly below the target), and then engage.  Be very careful at speeds above 500 as compression can lock up controls, even in a FW190.  Also, having too much speed can cause complications as the length of time in which to arrive at a gun solution becomes ever shorter.  Accidently ramming your target becomes more likely whenever the closure rate becomes extreme.  Nothing is more embarrassing then making the perfect attack run on an oblivious victim only to realize that you have used your aircraft as a bullet.

If you are approaching an enemy who you believe, may not have seen you, try and approach from below and from either the 4 o’ clock or 8 o’ clock position.  As the range decreases the position will drift to the 5 o’ clock or 7 o’ clock position .   Many players check their six religiously but the off-set rear/below positions are not checked nearly as often…and don’t let some ace do this to you.

#9   Its best to decide during target evaluation whether you plan to buzz and zoom, E-fight, or stall fight (or reposition for a better attack).
The Focke Wulf is excellent at buzz and zoom.  You dive, take a shot and extend away.

If you stay with the target after the initial attack then you’re rapidly devolving from a B&Z to an E-fight.  An E-fight is where you’re converting speed to altitude and back again.  In affect you dive, attack, and then climb into a loop (of some sort) to re-engage the enemy. 

If you stay in the fight long enough and don't succeed in landing a kill you will most likely be stall fighting.  In a Focke Wulf, anything below 225-250 mpg is a stall fight.  A Focke Wulf can stall fight most bombers but not fighters.  Stall fighting is a trap.  Once you’re in a stall fight your options for egress become extremely limited.

If you have altitude, you can dive.  If you’re near or over a friendly base with flak, you can use the supporting anti-aircraft as a distraction.  If you find yourself in a low and slow stall fight over enemy territory with high performance enemy aircraft closing in from the sides and above I can only recommend pointing the nose vertical and punching out.  Getting captured is better than nothing.   

One of the dangers of stall fighting is that it eventually devolves to a low altitude fight.  While flying low is not dangerous in and of itself, stall fighting pushes the Focke Wulf to the edge of its flight parameters.  Exceeding the flight parameters in a Focke Wulf can cause the plane to depart from controlled flight with vicious abruptness.  Departure from controlled flight at low altitude in any model Focke Wulf gives little time or opportunity to regain flight control before colliding with the planet.

One advantage to dogfighting in a Focke Wulf is that your opponent may not expect it.  This advantage will last for about as long as it takes to kill you.   Still, it can be a lot of fun after the fourth or fifth high speed pass to suddenly switch tactics.  But leave yourself a way out.

#10   There are pilots out there that are better than you.  Maybe it’s their accuracy or possibly they use some particular maneuver with an artistry you don’t understand.  Take the time to ride shotgun with them and see how it’s done.    If they decline, get on the hitechcreations forum and post questions, or perhaps the training arena can provide pointers.   You will improve incrementally with the hours played in the game, but there is no substitute for consciously trying to improve your performance through research and study.

#11   When in doubt, re-evaluate.  It’s wonderful to go into combat with some sort of plan.  Paradoxically, it’s a rare combat where events actually go according to plan.  If I find myself being surprised, confused, frustrated  (very bad) it’s time to get some altitude and distance from the action, calm down, and figure out what to do. 
I’ll go a step further.  In combat its critical to change plans at a moment’s notice because you may only have a moment to realize that the situation has changed. 

#12   Situational Awareness.   There is something like 18 different views from which you can see out of your aircraft.  If you try to use all of these views in combat you will fly into the ground.  So what to do?  First off, use the DAR (radar) if you’re in an area that has it.   Second, never get into combat where you have to track multiple targets.  Third, if you have to track multiple targets do it from the outside of the furball, not the inside.   Go in with guns blazing and then get the hell out of there.  You can reassess accurately only if you can contain most of what’s happening to a few views.  Keep in mind that the more you are targeting, the less you can do to avoid being a target.  A furball is no place for the fighter pilot who plans to receive a retirement check.  Oh yeah, and keep the speed up.  If you go fast enough, you only have to check what’s in front of and behind you. 

The poor substitute for Situational Awareness is fast reflexes.  If you unexpectedly see tracers coming at you or you suddenly take hits don’t try and figure out where it’s coming from; EVADE!  Obviously whatever maneuver you’re performing wasn’t the best, do something else and do it immediately. 

Tips and Tricks with the Focke Wulf
The Dora is one of the few planes that can lose part of its wing and still be manageable to land.  This is due to its stunning rate of roll.  The trick is to apply full opposite trim to the wing that was damaged.  The other trick is that the use of elevators will affect roll when a wing is damaged.   Much of the rest is practice and it’s not exactly something you can train off line.  Give yourself plenty of room for broad turns and gentle descent.  As soon as you’re able, deploy flaps.  Be very gentle and slow with the controls.  Over-compensation can kill when the controls are compromised.

Whatever you do, roll with it.  The FW 190 rolls better than anything else so make use of this feature!  If you’re defensive, don’t let adversaries match geometry with you.  Your plane should constantly be out of phase with your opponents.   This will hamper your opponent’s gun solution.

At high speed, everyone turns the same.  That’s because pilots black out under excessive g-load.   That means the FW190 is just as maneuverable as everyone else when going fast.   More so, as the FW190 has a better rate of roll, so stay fast!

If a bad guy is on your six and you can’t dive or otherwise extend away you may wish to use the scissors maneuver in an attempt to cause your opponent to overshoot.  The scissors maneuver is high-risk and takes some practice but works well against opponents who cannot match your roll rate.   I’m not an expert at this as…I suck at dogfighting.

Another wacko move the Focke Wulf can do is a high speed stall.  At speeds less than 300 a pilot who yanks back hard on the stick can cause the left wing to drop.  FW pilots should practice getting into and out of (…and preventing!)  this stall.  You can shed appalling amounts of speed in a blink of an eye with this maneuver.

Closing thoughts
The Dora was one of the finest planes in WWII.  In Aces High, It’s a good plane but not the best.  A pilot must employ proper tactics, stay alert, and react correctly to changes in the combat environment in order to survive.  When in doubt, stay fast and doubt all the time.

…and don’t feel too bad when you get flamed.   This game is air combat distilled, condensed, and concentrated.   This is a hyper simulation wherein most of the participants have hundreds of hours of sim practice and the action comes at you fast and furious.  You are going up against opponents who are very, very skilled at the game.   Surviving a battle is an achievement; much less the notion of landing kills.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:22:18 AM »
If you want to be successful fighting with the 190d9 without having to be very selective about who and when you fight, talk to Pervert. He'll show you how to turn with spits and make them eat their beans and toast.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:54 AM »
I would get bored fast flying by those "rules". I can see the reasoning behind wanting the fight on your own terms, but when the game plan is to run away once your blow your advantage your not a threat anymore. The game plan is never gonna work out the way expect, you're not doing yourself any favors by planning for the best. This type of reasoning is why 90% of the MA have no clue what to do once the running option is off the table. If you never put yourself in a bad spot, you're not gonna know what do. The fun part of the game for me is working out of bad spots and making it home, not surviving, but hunting to kill.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »
why 90% of the MA have no clue what to do once the running option is off the table.
and 90% of them start flopping like a fish out of water when they see running isn't working.

:salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
for use in the FSO, scenario's and some special events this is an extremely insightful and well written manual on how to use the Butcher Bird to its maximum application.  :aok

for the MA's though this is not a "FUN" fight creator, its a how to B&Z runtard style for dummies manual. it does have its points, but it will never give you the sweaty palmed shaking from adrenaline overdose, that a stall fight starting at 10,000 feet ending below the treetops, you will get from learning the art of the stall.  :old:

learn to do both, furball in the MA's and fly to survive in the events arena's and you will find the most fun that this game can offer to the cartoon airplane pilot..

good descriptive effort, keep up the writting.....just learn to do more with your bird of prey. learning the skill so that you can tell both sides of the tale will make you a better writer, pilot and increase the fun of playing this game in immeasurable amounts!

:aok :aok :aok
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »
  Love the 190-d in the MA. Great bird for killing Ords. With one bomb and those cannons one pass on a small field is no problem. Does often lose the Radiator on the first hit though but mission first and survival second for me. Before this latest update I'd eat those ponys up. Not so much any more but still fun to fight in. Easy to make some overshoot. (but the good sticks know that trick)
  SA (situational awareness) is important to me and I have trouble in those birds where I feel boxed in. One of the best cockpits in game for vision.

Here's a tip: Radiator out with several kills and far from base? Monitor engine and cut out so it won't overheat and fail. Turn back on and off as needed. I have also set bird down let engine cool and leapfrogged back to base several times.  :airplane:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »
A well written and engaging piece.
Nothing wrong with flying the bird in the manner for which it was designed.

Also playing the game as you wish to play it is the reason we're all here.

Furballing A20's and  the many "Lancastuka" inc'.....(you know who you are!)

Have fun in your Dora mate.

<S>
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
I would offer a couple of comments. To #1, I say you're lucky that the 190D has plenty of performance. It has a climb rate higher than most planes in the game (down low) and acceleration is great also. Its roll rate is touted as one of the fastest in the game. Your only metric of "performance" is turny-ness... There the 190D falls short but don't forget there are tons of things that use the planes overall performance that keep you alive and get you kills. It's more suited for the task than you might give credit for.

To #2 I would say that's the wrong mentality. Essentially you could totally blow a superior position to pick 1 easy target otherwise AFK or busy, and put yourself in a bad spot to do it. Instead, you ought to survey the battlefield, and see what is the BIGGEST threat to you. What is looking at you, turning towards you, HOing you, etc? Look for the biggest THREAT and engage that first. Why? Self preservation. You ignore the threat and it kills you. No ifs, ands, or buts. Meanwhile, the "victim" is no threat and can't turn to make your life worse even if he wanted to, 99% of the time. No, control your airspace. That's what this plane does best. Attack the target most dangerous to you staying where you are. If you cannot attack, run away (superior speed) and come back when you can. Don't avoid fights. Pick them. Just make sure you aren't a sitting duck upon entering the fight. Then work your way down the list of enemies in your area from most threatening to least. That ensures that you stay alive and unthreatened for the longest period of time.

So it's not so much the tactic but the end result. By your description you end up dead with 1 kill. By mine you may end up dead or maybe have 10 kills under your belt because you were methodical. Nobody ever RTBs by ignoring the threat.

#3 is wrong. You are there to fight. Luckily, that's a broad term and there are so many options you can choose the fight you want. You are NOT there just to kill. Killing means nothing to the enemy. They can reup any time with unlimited fresh planes/lives. In WW2 any easy kill helped the war. In here, .... eh.... not so much. You have to engage, for your own safety as well as for securing an air space to do bad deeds to enemy ground targets (and such). Part of victory is in the mind. The aggressive spirit. The fighter pilot's mentality. Fighters go in and think "how can I kill this guy" and targets think "I hope nobody shoots at me." You have to have that eye of the tiger (and whatnot) and think about attacking. Let us not forget the words of the German ace: "Always attack, even from position of weakness, for by attacking you may gain the advantage and turn the fight."

I'll leave it at those comments for now. I could add a few more here and there, but overall those stood out the most to me and I wanted to comment.

Offline prono

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »
Here's a tip: Radiator out with several kills and far from base? Monitor engine and cut out so it won't overheat and fail. Turn back on and off as needed. I have also set bird down let engine cool and leapfrogged back to base several times. 

This is interesting. Very useful in special events with limited lives.
Does WEP recharge faster when gliding or throttle back ?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
Not so much. The cooldown doesn't increase in speed if you throttle back, from what I recall. However, you lose a lot of speed and time taking off from a dead start. It's much better to use auto climb or auto angle and to kill the engine before it dies, let it drop down below the "hot zone" and start it up again. Hit WEP once you do to get as much as you can for those few seconds. You WILL lose altitude, but you can remake a lot of it, so the net result is you can head home.

There is a buffer period after you lose your radiator before it starts overheating. The liquid takes time to empty out, basically. As soon as you lose radiator fluid, bug out (head home fast, disengaging), and WEP climb for all your might. As soon as you see that heat needle creep up, go into auto climb or auto level (to get speed) and get ready. When you turn it off, don't forget to minimize RPMs to reduce all prop drag. Then when you turn back on again maximize RPMs. This applies to all planes.

I've made it to the end of a distant runway just barely too many times to count by this method. It will save your bacon, if done right!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
Pervert is misleading. He is NOT a pervert. I even tried to flirt with him to get some of his Dora secrets. Pics of Bruvs Mom. Noth'n! I'm still hopeful for Christmas I get some Dora film. Of all the birds the Dora is my romance but unable to make her dance as she should so I slum around in the PonyD. Sheesh!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »
Have you SEEN Bruv's mom? You may have scared him off....

:banana:

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
Easy on the mom jokes.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3