Author Topic: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
I had a 1970 Mach 1 with 428 CobraJet.  It was a great car and a lot of fun.  One of those "wish I had never sold" cars.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
I joined the ranks of the Pony drivers late last year, and with the weather being unseasonably warm here in central Canada, I brought my wife's car and my two out of storage a little early.  The Viper is going to go up for sale soon I think, and I plan on driving the '11 Shelby for my main driver, but I had originally planned on getting one of these new Camaro's instead of the Mustang, but the deal was too good and I had a strong urge for something new.  I've had a lot of high performance cars, and like to shake it up now and then, although I've been a die hard GM customer until the last couple of years.  In the mid 90's I drove a 1995 Stealth Turbo, which was a pretty decent car for back then, 4 wheel drive,4 wheel steering, 300HP and was easy to push to its limits.  Then I had a 1997 Ram Air Firebird WS6 that was built to race from the factory, didn't even have power windows or locks.  This got annoying after a while, so when the 98's came out and the models of Bird/Camaro went through a major change, I traded it for a 1998 Camaro SS, which is the car I think I look back on and have the most smiles about.  Then in 2002 I got one of the last years of the Camaro SS line in another trade.

After this I got REALLY into Corvette's, and went through several before my last one, a Z06 that was blown, and I had a lot of fun with it as well, nearly as many good memories as the 98 Camaro SS, which I still feel is my favorite car.  I put some pics up of some of these in the favorite Car thread.  After a couple years of being a vette driver, I came to realize that everyone else on the block had the same idea and I couldn't spit without passing another one every time I was out, so a drastic change was required. Enter the Viper, a car which I virtually stole, and will turn likely 20k profit on when and if I sell it.  After reading a lot about the new mustangs, and encountering several on the road last year, I became enamored with the Ford's for some strange reason, and after going in shopping for a 2012 5 litre, I ended up finding a crazy deal on a dealer demo 2011 Shelby, which followed me home, along with some earaches from the other half.  She decided that it was time for her OWN car, and after deciding to likely get rid of the Snake and give her a spot in the main garage, she went out and bought this Asian monstrosity.

Don't get me started on this thing....I get angry just typing this thinking about it, and it's my solemn hope that it gets stolen from her workplace.  It was SUPPOSED to be this new Camaro once available.  I swear women do things that THEY even don't want to do just to win their little fights.

The one thing I've found with the cars I've driven is that everyone has that certain something that makes them special to you.  Watching this video from the OP cements this, as I LOVE the new Camaro, everything about it, but the Boss is a very cool car as well, and I could be happy with either of them, and think that arguing the fine points regarding each is sort of special olympic-ish.  As I get older the bragging rights of performance statistic have become FAR less important than the "esprit" or "soul" feeling I get from my ride.  That said, I still want that ZL1, hah.

Widewing talking about the old 5 liter Mustang's brings back a lot of high school memories.  Every kid who's parents bought them a car wanted or had a 5.0 GT.  My father's police department had a bunch of '89 Ford 5.0 liter Notch Backs for their pursuit cars, and they would beat the GT's by a slim margin, although without the T Roofs, haha.  I can remember that those 225 HP cars were GIANTS of performance back then...now a Honda Civic has the same HP or near enough, and my Mustang has 2.5 times the HP in a car not much larger.  Twenty years has seen a huge boost in performance for the money.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:22:59 AM by Gman »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
If I remember correctly our 57 Fairlane had a 321 cu. in. V8.  Had "Thunderbird" on the valve covers.

My memory fades also but wasnt that a 312 V8?  or did you just make a typo?    IIRC those valve covers were golden colored.

We had a few cars I dodnt remember but the first memoralble 1 we had was a 68 wildcat with the 430 rocket motor.

Oh and Wide I remember those GLHS's my brother inlaw had 1,yup blew the head gasket a couple times,he also had a Feugo{sp} by Renault...... :rolleyes:  Worse peice of junk I've ever seen.

:salute

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
I had a GLH turbo and a Shelby CSX-T for a while and even collected a very sweet lotus 16 valve head but I'm still looking for the "TC maserati" 16 valve head.

Probably won't get to building one eventually but finding a good condition small 2 door K car might kick start the project.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »

My memory fades also but wasnt that a 312 V8?  or did you just make a typo?    IIRC those valve covers were golden colored.

We had a few cars I dodnt remember but the first memoralble 1 we had was a 68 wildcat with the 430 rocket motor.

Oh and Wide I remember those GLHS's my brother inlaw had 1,yup blew the head gasket a couple times,he also had a Feugo{sp} by Renault...... :rolleyes:  Worse peice of junk I've ever seen.

:salute

i think you're right about the 312........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
Speakin of memories and soul ..
..I bought a '67 GTX, 426 Hemi, 4-gear w/4.10 Dana in the back ..headers were on it when I bought it,
paid 2700 for it, had 20k miles on it, was 2 years old, beautiful copper metallic and cragar S/S's all around.

I was 19, it was the summer of 1969, cruisin Central after a week workin on the Survey crew out of town ..
I remember spendin 10 bucks for gas for an evening of cruisin, at 25 cents a gallon.
I remember averaging 4mpg after I got the tunnel ram and cam setup.
I drove the car for two weeks before finding out the gas pedal had a soft 'stop'
..you had to push it past it to get all eight barrels open on the two fours up front (mechanical secondaries)
And I thought it was 'zippy' *then* .. man it would fry those bias plies in back in a hearbeat in any forward gear!
Best I could do was a set of Firestone 'cheater' slicks ..9" wide max,
..had to ease it out in first at 2500rpm and no way could I just floor it when she hooked..
..the small block vette's/55's would get a car on me in first ..I'd jam second and ease the gas to the floor and she would come alive just blowing by them as I hit 3rd.
The roar .. that Hemi sounded like it was gonna suck the sky down when it was wide open, deep gutsy exhaust note echoing off buildings behind me.

Ya .. -shakes head- .. it ruined me for life.

I can imagine a lot of young guys an ladies gettin that same experience with the latest crop of cars available.
Fast is back.
All I can say is, about frikkin time.

..I remember the late '70's-80's
Was a long gray dry spell
..when the ten year old beaters would smoke any new car so bad it was laughable.
I had a blast with my '64 Malibu that I had stuffed a 427 L-88 in ,.,.it was even more 'zippy' than that GTX.
It's what made me smile in the early '70's when I drove it to work an back :)

And so on .. fun times.

Nowadays, grabbin second for the eekie off a lite and hearin that LS-1 wind up makin beautiful music .. yaa ..
I still smile  ..and wave to the others doin the same ..camaro, stang, challenger ..it's all good :)

-Frank aka GE

'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
ya know? you mentioned waving to other hot rodders.

i've been noticing lately, that when i'm in the gt.....i get that jeep wave from other gt drivers.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »
Blah blah blah, awesome cars, blah blah blah...

I hate you.   :rofl :aok

Those are some seriously sweet rides...   :cheers:
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
ya know? you mentioned waving to other hot rodders.

i've been noticing lately, that when i'm in the gt.....i get that jeep wave from other gt drivers.

I always wave to other GT drivers. Most wave back.
I wave to anyone I see driving what I consider a neat car.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
I always wave to other GT drivers. Most wave back.
I wave to anyone I see driving what I consider a neat car.

your avatar scares me.  :neener: :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART