Author Topic: Odd?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
Odd?
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
So I got into a 1v1 with a certain person tonight and was shot down.

After about 10 minutes this person voice PMs me and starts to chew me out. What it all boiled down to was that he did not like the fact I didn't salute him.

Now he says that is the custom for the vanquished to salute first. I tell him I do not salute really at all. His response to this was "you lost my respect and all my friends respect."

My respect account was now zeroed out maybe even in the red.

I don't know who is right here. Should I salute or not?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:53:45 AM by kilo2 »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Odd?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »
There is no obligation to salute

Speaking personally, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

The fact that this guy whined at you, told you defeated person is obliged to salute, and then claimed he had lost all respect for you when told you do not care to salute people, is a clear indication that his opinion and respect is not worth having in the first place :)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Der Jude

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:57:15 AM »
salutng is fr officers. it lame
Game ID: Judisch
Kommando Nowotny - Nowotny Schwarm "White 19"
Til Schweiger Fan Club
ZLA- "Dont Focke Wulf Us!"
Malta Scenario - Comrade Jew

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:57:35 AM »
If someone salutes you, it's only common courtesy to salute back.  Otherwise, you look like a sore loser.  It's almost like refusing to shake someone's hand.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:58:49 AM »
There is no obligation to salute

Speaking personally, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

The fact that this guy whined at you, told you defeated person is obliged to salute, and then claimed he had lost all respect for you when told you do not care to salute people, is a clear indication that his opinion and respect is not worth having in the first place :)

:aok
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:59:50 AM »
That's the thing banshee he didn't salute me.

Losing respect is not a big deal just interesting to know the opinions on the matter.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:00:55 AM »
I wasn't watching the buffer at the time, but he was claiming on vox that you didn't salute him back after he had saluted you.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:05:06 AM »
I wasn't watching the buffer at the time, but he was claiming on vox that you didn't salute him back after he had saluted you.

Sounds like a court martial matter to me :old:  This is a serious accusation

At least it makes a change from the 'this guy claimed I HO'd him' threads
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:13:20 AM »
At least it makes a change from the 'this guy claimed I HO'd him' threads

Right.  I disagree with the actions he took, but I understand where he's coming from.  Every time someone doesn't salute me back after I salute them I know they didn't see it or didn't want to salute back.  Feels like a slap in the face sometimes.  Especially after those long, hard fights that gets you pumped.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:22:14 AM »
You killed someone with an entitlement complex. 

Blank him and the horse he rode in on and his friends.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:49:46 AM »
I rarely salute anyone, unless they salute me first. 

The reason is, in the past I have saluted numerous folks who in return informed me that I am not worthy of a salute.  If I receive a salute, then I will return the salute whether I have won or lost, otherwise I will up another plane or go look for another kill.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
I'll always <S> if I can, but usually if I've just shot someone down, I'm now busy with his buddy and don't have time. You're right though, that is odd behavior.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:49 AM »
I almost always return a salute, unless the person who saluted me didn't deserve a return salute (they picked me or killed me in a gang 3 or 4 on 1.... yeh, I actually was all screwed up in a 1 v 3 once and a 4th guy came blowing through in a -4 Hog and picked me... then sent me a salute! I asked "WTF are you saluting me for?"

But for a good fight, yeh, I'll return a salute. To not do so makes ya look like a doushenozzle.

In the few instances where I salute someone who deserves one, and they don't return it, I'll send them another one a few minutes later, in case they missed the first one.

If they refuse to acknowledge the second one, depending on who it is, it may be time to openly mock them on 200.  :D
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »
I have 200 and salutes turned off, make for very nice text buffer. Next thing to go will be system messages.
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
last night I got into a good fight with someone, then a few of my countrymen got involved. This gent fought like a demon.  I put the first, worst, and final damage on him, then saluted him for a very tough fight.  He either didn't see it or didn't think I was worthy of a return salute.  I don't tune 200 so maybe he returned it there, I don't know.  Point is it really doesn't bother me when folks don't return them.  Just shows a certain lack of character to me.    :cheers:
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎