Author Topic: The Dog Fighters Club Dueling Ladder SEASON 2 Announcement  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: The Dog Fighters Club Dueling Ladder SEASON 2 Announcement
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:42 AM »
//shameless promo alert//

Its the most fun i have ever had in AH (maybe scenarios come close).
If you got any ambition to fight fair, even 1v1s with friends, feel free to join.
 :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 06:58:41 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't ask here but...

Standard duel is same bird. What about dissimilar ACM? Why or why not? In reading Debrody's post I had the thought of something that allowed certain contemporary advesaries to duke it out. K-4 versus Spit 16 or PonyD, or certain Japanese birds versus F6F or F4U. Maybe half a dozen historically accurate combos are formed then combatants can agree to duel from those combos. I think it would be awesome to try and tie Debrody's Hungarian G6(?) up with its historical advesary and see who loses the most parts. (Flame away!)

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:18 AM »
Those are good fun, Boo, but are unsuitable to decide who is the top dog.
For example, a historically accurate 109K vs ponyD 1v1, the 109 will win 9/10
AoM
City of ice

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't ask here but...

Standard duel is same bird. What about dissimilar ACM? Why or why not? In reading Debrody's post I had the thought of something that allowed certain contemporary advesaries to duke it out. K-4 versus Spit 16 or PonyD, or certain Japanese birds versus F6F or F4U. Maybe half a dozen historically accurate combos are formed then combatants can agree to duel from those combos. I think it would be awesome to try and tie Debrody's Hungarian G6(?) up with its historical advesary and see who loses the most parts. (Flame away!)

Boo

I have been considering doing a dueling ladder in favorite rides, it is something that may happen in the future.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »
I have been considering doing a dueling ladder in favorite rides, it is something that may happen in the future.

When the time comes for variety, I would like to see a version where the matches work like this...

- Match consists of 10 rounds.
- Each Pilot chooses his own aircraft and loadout from the fighter hangar each round
- A pilot is not allowed to repeat an aircraft, the the ten rounds will be ten different aircraft
- Neither pilot knows what the other guy is flying until first merge
- Winner is the pilot with the most wins after ten rounds
- An 11th round tie breaker is used in the event of a 5 to 5 tie

I've played duels this way numerous times in the DA over the years and find it very fun.  It is also an effective way to force yourself to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the different aircraft and how they relate to an opponents strengths and weaknesses.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
When the time comes for variety, I would like to see a version where the matches work like this...

- Match consists of 10 rounds.
- Each Pilot chooses his own aircraft and loadout from the fighter hangar each round
- A pilot is not allowed to repeat an aircraft, the the ten rounds will be ten different aircraft
- Neither pilot knows what the other guy is flying until first merge
- Winner is the pilot with the most wins after ten rounds
- An 11th round tie breaker is used in the event of a 5 to 5 tie

I've played duels this way numerous times in the DA over the years and find it very fun.  It is also an effective way to force yourself to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the different aircraft and how they relate to an opponents strengths and weaknesses.

that's not a bad idea ether...but that is totally different then a "favorite ride" type fight.

personally I like the favorite ride idea. but no reason we couldn't have different type of ladders...if this ladder keeps going strong we will have more then one ladder going before too long.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
PFD, that might end in an "ENY5 battle", as the f4u4, tempest, spit16, la7 etc etc would be totally dominant.
AoM
City of ice

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »
PFD, that might end in an "ENY5 battle", as the f4u4, tempest, spit16, la7 etc etc would be totally dominant.

You would think, but in my experience it doesn't play out that way. 

But if you wanted to avoid that, you could make a rule that says each pilot has 120 ENY points (just a semi-random number I chose for this discussion) that he must use during the course of the 10 rounds.  In that scenario, a guy could fly say 5 ENY 5 aircraft to burn 25 points, but then he would have to burn through the other 95 points over the last five rounds.  See what I am saying.

At any rate, this is really a topic for a future thread and not this one.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
jup, gotcha
sounds like a very interesting tactical battle.
Got to try it with the squaddies this evening   :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
I'd be very interested in the 'favorite ride' of dueling, then again, I have little interest in most aircraft other than my P38. I'd rather have a good fight vs a good stick in a La7/Spit16/P51/109K than have a fight where both aircraft have similar flight characteristics.

An exception to this would the fight my P38 had with Gianlupo some time ago; while we had similar aircraft, but it was the most gruelling and enjoyable fight I've ever had in Aces High.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »

each one of those are easy to kill :D

give me one hurri2C....the monster slayer

I'd be very interested in the 'favorite ride' of dueling, then again, I have little interest in most aircraft other than my P38. I'd rather have a good fight vs a good stick in a La7/Spit16/P51/109K than have a fight where both aircraft have similar flight characteristics.

An exception to this would the fight my P38 had with Gianlupo some time ago; while we had similar aircraft, but it was the most gruelling and enjoyable fight I've ever had in Aces High.

thats what we have been trying to provide...those fights that last with you long after they are over :rock

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
each one of those are easy to kill :D

give me one hurri2C....the monster slayer
thats eny8   :P
gimme a 109F and i pwn your hurri  :old:
AoM
City of ice

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »
thats eny8   :P
gimme a 109F and i pwn your hurri  :old:

see how the favorite rides could work..... :D

you are good...very good,  but I still think my hurri will own that 109 :D

we certainly can test it out :rock

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
I think I want to try this.. Looks like great fun, and I get to test myself against superior dogfighters I have never fought before. Seems like a great way to die in flames..  :aok :D
TheStig

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
we certainly can test it out :rock
sure!  :cheers:
AoM
City of ice