Author Topic: just out of curiosity who has control over fuel loadouts?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
just out of curiosity who has control over fuel loadouts?
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
I took part in a scenario where I was told it was in the rules that the plane i had to fly had to take 100% fuel and drop tanks.

this resulted in the plane I was flying (p-51D) arriving at the fight with 100% internal fuel.

I do not need to tell you how bad a 100% fuel with full aux tank handles and bleeds E. it was not very enjoyable flying it in this configuration and attempting to survive 7+v1 odds. (yes all the allies died a horrible death.)

who has the final say in fuel taken?
CO? squad leader? the pilot flying the plane?

I would just like to know for future reference before I devote an evening to somthing like this again.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: just out of curiosity who has control over fuel loadouts?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
It's up to the CO of a scenario to decide who has control over fuel load outs.  Sometimes you get good orders, sometimes they don't work so well.  Different command styles for different people.  Some might leave it up to the GLs, or Pilots, some might have done extensive testing and wanted that loadout. 

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »
It's a good question.  As Roc said the CO's decide based on mission.  I too was tasked with 100% + drop.  Working within that framework I burned out about 25-30% of my internal fuel before even using the dropper.  I ended up pitching the dropper without about 50% of it's load still unused, but I was light enough to fight.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
For the 51s is was handed down from on top.. That being said...  Second round I tried to make an adjustment by taking off with 75% and DT's, and dropping the tanks after we made our climb out to alt.  Also we dropped one tank on climb out to get us to alt faster, burning the other tank but have enough fuel to engage, and if alive make it back to home base for rearm is possible.  I plan on making adjustments to that for the next 2 frames as we see how things progress.  Yes we have WAY to much fuel when we engaged.  Hind sight is 20/20...  :cool:  Hence the adjustments on the second launch in defense of A41.  And THANKS to all the walkons we got in the 356th!.  Made a big difference in our overall effectiveness from the first frame. I know we lost a couple in the defense of A41, but overall I think we made a good showing of ourselves..  Not to slight any off the registered 356th pilots who were there as well!!! I think you guys did a bang up job!!!!

--Mitch
AKA SEBaker
CO 356th FS
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
As GL for my guys in 38s I ended up having us leave the DTs home as it seemed like we would be way too heavy if engaged.  The original orders were for 2 DT and 100% 

So I ended up changing it as the GL.  Since for real they never went with less then 100 fuel, we took that.  As it was we only had a single 38 get back home after the mega brawl from 30K to the deck near the Rhine but it wasn't for lack of fuel.  While I crossed up my CO, I suppose I'd be a bit ticked off if one of my guys went with less then I did and had to abort early, so I think I'd not want guys in the squadron changing it without talking to me first.

Of course Seph may feel the same way about me changing it too :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters