Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 12117 times)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Then he ought to have avoided colliding with you.  It happened on his end, he had every opportunity to avoid it, yet he ran into you.
Kind of hard to do from the position he was in ... Zoom climbing into a stall, Heavy Twin Engine Aircraft, VERY LOW E, Mushy - Unresponsive Controls, all of which I knew and responded to without even thinking ... Sure, he sat himself up, But he was flying AIRPLANES and I was flying Computers ...

You don't even acknowledge the shortcomings of "They both go down".
I think that would be better ... for the players and the game ... I never said it was PERFECT ...
:angel:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
I think that would be better ... for the players and the game ... I never said it was PERFECT ...

Yet you think people just LOVE colliding with invisible stuff and would whine less about going down for no reason they can see than watching another plane fly away from a collision on their end.  The 'imperfection' of the way you want it is not so much of an 'imperfection' as it is a game breaking game mechanic.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »

Please explain how it would be better for the game and the players if both go down when only one collided?  It is very clear you still do not understand how 1)the Intertardnet works 2) how the collision model works.

You insist on punishing both parties when only one is responsible.  That doesn't seem very fair to the player that didn't collide and definitely is not good from a game play stand point.

The current collision model is the best solution to the issue, you may not like it but your idea of how it should be is a terrible idea and one that would be very detrimental to the game.  In fact, from a game design standpoint, your idea is beyond terrible and any developer with a head on his shoulders would immediately dismiss it as being not viable froma gameplay standpoint.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
Kind of hard to do from the position he was in ... Zoom climbing into a stall, Heavy Twin Engine Aircraft, VERY LOW E, Mushy - Unresponsive Controls, all of which I knew and responded to without even thinking ... Sure, he sat himself up, But he was flying AIRPLANES and I was flying Computers ...
Had you tried that to my heavy, twin engined aircraft I either would have blown you out of the way or not run into you.  It isn't hard to do and it doesn't matter at all what you do on your end.  He messed up and ran into you.  You didn't do a magic maneuver that he couldn't avoid because of the internet.  You simply slowed down faster than he was expecting.  You took a big chance and tried to game internet lag and you won.  Most often you will die when you hang yourself out in front of another guy's guns like that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
This is why the other guy collided with EVZ (there is only one player he "killed" in an A20)

Kills Hit Percentage    1.53    

If the poor guy could aim he would have cut EVZ in half looooonnnnnggggg before he collided with him.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
It's a 2 letter word ... what part of NO is it that you don't understand?

I just wanted confirmation, your original answer was somewhat ambiguous since you have shown an uncanny knack for evading direct questions and providing paragraphs of waffly rhetoric instead of giving direct answers.

I doubt I'd have done it to him if I'd known in advance that I would die too ...

what you did to him was go within a couple of hundred yards of him. the volume where these incidents can happen is quite large. to completely avoid these incidents, as you claim you would under your preferred system, would mean no rolling scissors, barrel roll defenses, close merges or any of the other commonly used ACMs. you would create an environment where BnZ is the only way to get a kill, if you are careful. while some are happy on a diet of pure BnZing, most like to mix it up.

so these incidents are still going to happen, but under your system the guy who avoids a collision is sent to the tower.

no evasion this time, tell me honestly that you would have been happier/thought it more fair if in the incident you described, you had been instantly sent to the tower?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Had you tried that to my heavy, twin engined aircraft I either would have blown you out of the way or not run into you.
No, you'd most likely have died just as he did ... Had you tried what he tried ... Understand that -I- didn't plan this or "TRY" anything, I just responded, purely instinctive. I pulled into him and pinged him, just as he started to climb, so he expected me to continue the HO ... Pulling up put him completely out of position just as his E (which was LOW to begin with) bled to the point his plane stopped responding normally to controls, Slowing Down raised the odds of a collision occurring significantly as HE figured I'd be dead, or on my way down, at this point - NOT that I'd be sticking my (ghost planes)  nose into his copilots seat. He never fired, He never had a shot ... SUPRISE ... He's tried the tactic before, burys his icon at 50 ft and figures you won't see him coming ... If you've got your sight zoomed on an ack gun, you won't.

That doesn't make me a great fighter pilot ... just knowledgeable, with good instincts. You MIGHT have attacked differently ... I would say he was overconfident ... a batch of bozos had been feeding him kills for quite some time.
:eek:

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »
I just wanted confirmation, your original answer was somewhat ambiguous since you have shown an uncanny knack for evading direct questions and providing paragraphs of waffly rhetoric instead of giving direct answers.
So you Find - NO -  to be an Ambiguous and Evasive answer ... .... ok ...
:cool:

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
no evasion this time, tell me honestly that you would have been happier/thought it more fair if in the incident you described, you had been instantly sent to the tower?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2012, 01:46:18 AM »
No, you'd most likely have died just as he did ... Had you tried what he tried ... Understand that -I- didn't plan this or "TRY" anything, I just responded, purely instinctive. I pulled into him and pinged him, just as he started to climb, so he expected me to continue the HO ... Pulling up put him completely out of position just as his E (which was LOW to begin with) bled to the point his plane stopped responding normally to controls, Slowing Down raised the odds of a collision occurring significantly as HE figured I'd be dead, or on my way down, at this point - NOT that I'd be sticking my (ghost planes)  nose into his copilots seat. He never fired, He never had a shot ... SUPRISE ... He's tried the tactic before, burys his icon at 50 ft and figures you won't see him coming ... If you've got your sight zoomed on an ack gun, you won't.
All of that is guessing on your part.  You don't know exactly what he saw on his end.  All we know is that what he did based on what he saw resulted in a collision.  That was his responsibility to avoid.  As you note, you didn't try to ram him and in fact did nothing on your FE that risked you being in a collision with him based on what you saw on your FE.

Change it to what you want, and even leaving aside the fact that people will be actively using collisions, you take out the ability to fly based on what you see in a situation because you never know where the enemy and you are on the enemy's FE.  It would make tactics much harder and more dangerous.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2012, 03:39:23 AM »

Yet again, hours before the answer.   :rolleyes:
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #341 on: April 13, 2012, 05:12:40 AM »
because you never know where the enemy and you are on the enemy's FE. 
You don't have to ... You may never consciously KNOW, but that supercomputer in your head is constantly gathering and analysing data at phenomenal rates of speed ... and, if you let it, it's making decisions and implementing them much faster than you can ever follow ... Your eyes and brain can definitely develop a sense of the amount of time lag occurring based on reactions to your own actions ... and if you play the game frequently your brain will develop it's own system of compensation ... while there is still some random factor in the displacement, your brain knows a LOT more about it than you are aware of.
:cool:

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #342 on: April 13, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »
nonsense, the brain cannot learn subconsciously from data it doesnt get (like the state of the other players FE.) the only time you get a snapshot of the state of the other players FE is at the point of a collision incident.

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
nonsense, the brain cannot learn subconsciously from data it doesnt get (like the state of the other players FE.) the only time you get a snapshot of the state of the other players FE is at the point of a collision incident.

Tick tock...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #344 on: April 13, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
Tick tock...

Waiting for the newest paragraph to sprout from his backside?