Author Topic: 12 Terrain Editor Bugs  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
12 Terrain Editor Bugs
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
Most of these I’ve spent a lot of time on and they're repeatable, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t miss something elementary. I’ve included a current work-around if available. All of these that I've checked are still present in v2.27p5 but I haven't rechecked each one of them.

2.21p4 Object Editor standard shapes
Missing default shapes in the Object Editor cause it to crash when you select one and try to install it into your tile.

2.27p5 Make Map
As reported by Fester, the Make Map feature sets all land to blue, and is using the grndtyp.bmp to build it instead of the waterd or cmpwater.bmp file. Maybe this isn't a bug, but blue water and green(?) land would make it more clearly deliberate.

2.27p5 Waypoints trashing gun positions in fleets
In both 2.27p5 and 2.26, when adding ships to a fleet, we can arrange it so that all the ships and gun positions show in the correct relationship in the hanger when the res file if built without waypoints. All gun positions are correctly displayed and you will spawn into the correct gun position. Setting waypoints and rebuilding the terrain trashes the hanger view which scrambles the relative position the ships.

2.27p5 Waypoints
The inability to set waypoints in v2.27p5 is what lead to the understanding of what was trashing the hanger view when adding extra ships. If the server can no longer handle extra ships, please notify us, thanks.

v2.26 Country rotation on the server
When uploading a terrain to the custom arena or having Skuzzy build it, the countries become rotated; Bish becomes Knit, Knit becomes Rook and Rook becomes Bish. As A1 must be Bish in the TE, there is no work-around. This causes inconsistencies when providing an AvA terrain with the preferred country arrangement.

2.26 Default terrain planeset not working
After 8+ hours of effort in version 2.26p?, I can’t make planesets in Setting Fields work. Inspection of the .pln file shows that it will not accept Rook (000-0100 converted from ascii 4) as a valid country for setting planesets. I saw that instead of setting a value of 1 for Bish, it set the value as Y, etc.

2.26 Check Objects / Check for errors
The Check Objects button sometimes caused the TE to crash. The work-a-round was to always run Check for errors under the file menu first, then run Check Objects. Check for errors reports missing HQs and Fields even when they exist, until after Check Objects is run, which clears the HQ/Fields errors. Running Check for errors a second time might also fix it.

2.27p5 Off map crash
In v2.27p5 this was sort of fixed, but when you move your view position off-map, it still crashes the TE. When drawing water or setting ground type along the edges of a 512 terrain, south edge, the TE crashes. Work-around: do  all the editing in the grndtyp.bmp and waterd.bmp files. Also avoid setting bases too close to the edge, tracks and roads become risky procedures when you do.

2.26 Manned guns
The last manned gun position fails to show in the hanger on custom fields. This is still a large improvement over the old first gun not showing.

2.26 Stray spawn point circles
After save or build, spawn point / entry point circles appear in the wrong place or on top of custom objects placed in the terrain. Re-opening the terrain without quitting, will usually fix it.

2.27p5 Horizontal window slider
The horizontal window slider causes movement in the opposite direction normally expected. This is a long time bug.

2.27p5
Reminder - the ground textures weren't showing in uploaded terrains on the server.

Wish
Not really an error. There’s no way to install custom objects such as the Cliffs of Dover because of the Object on non level terrain error message. An advanced builder (who understands what he’s doing) should be able to override this error message and provide the level of visuals you’d like to see included in the game. Especially for screenshots on the front page.  :) :pray
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:03:01 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: 12 Terrain Editor Bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
Please fix these issues HTC.  Very important for adding content to the game.  And please announce the next update when added.  The last one was snuck in without any form of announcement (I'm not talking about the one on the front page, there was an update after that.)

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
Also, of lessor importance, can someone confirm that first cloud bank in the Cloud Editor doesn't build. It's been a long time since I used it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
hanger view of ships IE gun positions-- This is a hard one so bear with me. As easyscor stated with waypoints it trashes the positions. Let me clarifiy. we created a fleet and headed it north, all gun positions work fine. If you head south you end up in opposite boat positions. its weird.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:38:10 PM by captain1ma »

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »
hanger view of ships IE gun positions-- This is a hard one so bear with me. As easyscor stated with waypoints it trashes the positions. Let me clarifiy. we created a fleet and headed it north, all gun positions work fine. If you head south you end up in opposite boat positions. its weird.

Just for clarification, you placed the task group in the terrain editor and left it's direction pointing to the north, then made your way point head south?
Or did you place the task group and then rotate it in the terrain editor to face south?

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »
the task group was created and left heading north, the waypoint was to the south. the ships change positions.  if you take the default task group like the one in the game and place it, the CA is off the bow of the carrier. if you set a waypoint to the south, the CA will then be off the stern of the carrier. in the default task group, the CA always is in the position of the direction the taskgroup is headed. IE if you used the CA as a compass pointer, and when in the hanger put a compass rose over the TG as a whole. the CA will be in the position of the direction every time. this does this in the game too. i went into the MA's last night and went into the Early war and reproduced these same results using the default task group in there.

the best way to show this is as follows:  head the task group north using a default group. take a screen shot, or make a mental note of the position of the CA. then change the course to due east. let the boat settle then go into hanger view of the guns. you will notice the CA is now 90 degrees or off the starboard side of the CV. if you head south, the CA will be off the Stern of the CV and if you head West, it will be 270 degrees or off the port side of the CV.

In case you're wondering, yes I'm really a boat captain.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
That's a brilliant catch.  :aok
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »
v2.27p5
In previous versions, when running Check Objects, the offending objects would show in the selected object list. This isn't working for me now but it was a great feature I miss.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »
2.21p4 Object Editor standard shapes
Missing default shapes in the Object Editor cause it to crash when you select one and try to install it into your tile.

Could you explain this one in more detail?

- Sudz

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »
Sure.

Open the OE (my version says Client Version 2.21 Patch 4).
Select New, then exit. Re-open the OE.

If I don't do anything, the OE continues to run. I can even use it to assemble and build tiles normally, unless...

Select ackroad (edit: any of the roads and some(?) other shapes) in the Shapes list. The funny thing is that it turns out that it's apparently really there, but whatever.

I don't even need to Add the shape, just selecting it starts the issue.

Note that the 17lbr in the Current Shape preview window doesn't change.
At this point the editing window stops updating.
Try changing the view. The sliders move but the view doesn't update.
Once you hit Add Shape, then the real fun begins.
If you save the tile at this point. It can be reloaded and the ackroad will appear in it.
Either way, in a matter of moments, the program will crash. The editing window will not be respond and usually the program will crash to the Windows error dialog. Occasionally it will simply lock up except that the window can be resized and moved. When that happens, clicking the close box will bring up the error dialog.
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00011564

We appreciate your efforts to solve this. Thanks

Win 7 64 bit w/ latest updates
i7 2600k
ASUS P8P67 LE
8 GB ram
XFX Radeon HD 6750
2x1TB Baracuda HDs
750w PSU

Here are a few of the error logs:

Faulting application name: ahobedit.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f5fb40d
Faulting module name: ahobedit.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f5fb40d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001aae1
Faulting process id: 0x7dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd1cf43f26852f
Faulting application path: C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High Editors\ahobedit.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High Editors\ahobedit.exe
Report Id: 9f8d1904-88e7-11e1-9b50-f46d041fd511

Faulting application name: ahobedit.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f5fb40d
Fault offset: 0x00011564
Faulting process id: 0xd0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd1cf31c8a7afa
Report Id: 9222c881-88e6-11e1-9b50-f46d041fd511

Fault offset: 0x0001aae1
Faulting process id: 0xe50
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd1cf2a8061d38
Report Id: 0a3cbce8-88e6-11e1-9b50-f46d041fd511

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:36:36 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
While you're looking at the OE. There were two issues in previous versions when converting a series of ac3d objects. I haven't tested this in the new version because of the other problems.

When making custom ac3d objects, it isn't unusual to have several, or dozens!

The OE would convert 4 objects and then hang. It was like clock work, you could depend on it happening every time. The work-a-round was to do four objects at a time, close the OE, open it again and continue.

The next problem discovered was that it often didn't convert the second ac3d object file. As far as I could tell, it never missed the 1st, 3rd or 4th conversion but often enough, it failed to convert the 2nd .ac file. Really weird. This was on 3 different Win XP boxes.

Again, we appreciate your efforts. Thanks!

Edit: Let me know if you need more info
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:39:05 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
TE v2.26 p3

When you save the terrain, the waypoint binary files are not updated/recreated/resaved. Deleting the binary waypoint file to avoid any conflict with a hand created waypoint file no longer works as expected.

This was noticed when removing the file for the first of 8 TGs seemed to fix a TE reported waypoint touches land for all the TGs in the terrain. I can't say the two issues are related or that the second one isn't user error.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
Could you explain this one in more detail?

- Sudz

If you're still working through this...

Simply selecting any of the shapes and using the up or down arrow keys to scroll through the list will stop at the offending object shapes. It's funny that you can then back up to the previous shape and continue in the new direction, but eventually the OE crashes. This was why I thought the shapes were missing. You can also jump over the offending shapes when the OE first starts up to locate other shapes that seem to cause the crash, again using the arrow keys.

Thanks Sudz
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
If you're still working through this...

Simply selecting any of the shapes and using the up or down arrow keys to scroll through the list will stop at the offending object shapes. It's funny that you can then back up to the previous shape and continue in the new direction, but eventually the OE crashes. This was why I thought the shapes were missing. You can also jump over the offending shapes when the OE first starts up to locate other shapes that seem to cause the crash, again using the arrow keys.

Thanks Sudz

Yup yup. :(
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
2.26 Manned guns
The last manned gun position fails to show in the hanger on custom fields. This is still a large improvement over the old first gun not showing.
To find this one we'd like to get a copy of all the source files for the terrain and the name of the custom field tile.  I would appreciated it if you could send them to sudz@hitechcreations.com.

Thanks,
- Sudz