Author Topic: Ancestry.com  (Read 8578 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Ancestry.com
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »
Good ol' Joaquin is pretty much the only interesting person in my family without dating the other side back to everybody that ever visited Germany and Poland. (Why do I get the feeling the German/Polish merging in the family wasn't a desired one? :D)
No that would have to be Barak Obama. :cheers:
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12:35 AM »
Most of the info at Ancestry.com you can get for free on other websites (findagrave.com, familysearch.org, worldconnect, etc), but ancestry.com does have a great search engine that covers multiple sources.  The question is do you want to pay $200 a year.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
I tried Ancestory.com, my niece had uploaded a significant bit of our family tree, but when it looked for me, my family etc, didn't find it, or hardly anything.  All it came up with was one thing, a copy of a card, I think it might have been a draft card, of my grandfathers, and it was so fuzzy as to make it unreadable and useless.  I tried pointing it to the records she put up, with stuff like my Fathers full name, etc.  Nope, didn't find anything.  Waste of time, and if I went past the free trial I think it would have been a waste of money.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
My Ancestors opted out. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
I traced mine back as far as I could, but if you have southern heritage it's tough. So many records were destroyed during the Civil War.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »
Guess which city I'm living in right now?   :aok Just two minutes from Galway Bay! Originally from Dublin though.

Well you should be able to trace what actually happened to your uncle. The events of the time are well documented. It could be very interesting.

Most of the family I have other there has moved out to the coast though near Mace Carna.

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
A lot of different sites on Cyndislist

http://www.cyndislist.com/

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:54 PM »
Most of the family I have other there has moved out to the coast though near Mace Carna.
Beautiful rugged scenery out in Connemara, an hour's drive out there on a Sunday for me. I'm sure there's plenty of Connollys out there. Connemara is one of the places everyone should visit at least once.

My boss is planning to set up a service flying scenic flights out to Connemara from Galway. He reckons tourists would be queueing up for it.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »
I traced mine back as far as I could, but if you have southern heritage it's tough. So many records were destroyed during the Civil War.
I don't think aliot of low,low middle and middle class Americans have many records. My mother looked used ancestry and found out we are relations of Walt Whitman John Wayne and Desi Arnez. Pretty cool how  some people connect on those sites and swap stories such as this gem :

"The Robsons were at feud with the Grahams of Netherby and Liddesdale. So they made a foray, and drove the Grahams' sheep into Tynedale. Unfortunately, the sheep turned out to be scabbed, and communicated the disease to their flocks about Falstone. Upon this the Robsons made a second raid, took seven of the most substantial Grahams they could lay hands on, and hanged them out-of-hand, with the warning to others that "the neist tyme gentlemen cam to take their schepe they war no to be scabbit."

I think I must have  taken after this branch in my tree as I tend to spell like them, but dont blame me for the missing schepe in AH.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:34:37 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
Beautiful rugged scenery out in Connemara, an hour's drive out there on a Sunday for me. I'm sure there's plenty of Connollys out there. Connemara is one of the places everyone should visit at least once.

My boss is planning to set up a service flying scenic flights out to Connemara from Galway. He reckons tourists would be queueing up for it.

Wow that would be a fun job! Im considering going out there to work the summer at the family B&B if i can afford a plane ticket. Would certaintly be fun I just cant scrounge up the money. My dad has been there a few times (hes first generation american).

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 01:30:53 AM »
Well due to my religious upbringing and beliefs, my family was doing genealogy/family history long before it was popular to do so.  Long before there was such a thing as the internet, or even computers.

Personally I greatly question the accuracy of .com sites like that.  They could tell you almost anything and unless you've done the research to back it up yourself how would you know?  Unless somebody has already done it for you, I believe it takes a lot more work then that to get an accurate family pedigree.

Nobody really famous in my direct lineage that I know of (some believe William Wallace is in my direct line, but it's not been proven) although if you branch out indirectly you can find lots of interesting stuff.  

Check this out
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1071/1354206860_f1e1e75b75_o.jpg

and this

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/02/Hutchinson_pedigree.jpg

you only have to go back 10 or 12 generations to find the common ancestor of George Bush, Mitt Romney, Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Gerry Ford, Richard Nixon, Joseph Smith etc..  pretty amazing.

BTW the website www.familysearch.org is a fantastic resource for family history research, they have all kinds of records, it's free, and you don't have to register or anything like the .com sites.  Also if you stop by the Family History Library in downtown Salt Lake City they will even spend as much time as you want helping you research free of charge.  They also have small satellite centers all over the world linked into the main library with volunteers to help out.

Lately the big news in genealogy is that the 1940 census was just released.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:45:23 AM by saggs »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 03:25:15 AM »
All my family records stop at boarding a ship near Edinburgh in 1782.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 05:22:31 AM »
Also, going through my family's personal records, one of my ancestors was personally killed by Robert the Bruce.

sorry. 

don't mind if i keep up the family tradition in AH do you?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 05:33:53 AM »
Go back a thousand years or so and you're equally related to an awful lot of people. Quite a lot of kings in that list, too many if you ask me. I think more realistically most of us are related to an obscure peasant somewhere in Eastern Europe.

But then sites like ancestry.com wouldn't be popular  :rolleyes:
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.