Author Topic: girls in AH  (Read 10904 times)

Offline augustk

• Zinc Member
Re: girls in AH
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »
Here is my two cents worth on this

I believe that the reason that a lot of women would not look twice at this game is because they are never taught how important women where to aviation and to the war effort as pilots. Face it guys, why do we like this game is because we all grew up wanting to be fighter pilots like Bong, Boyington, Galland ,and the list goes on and on.. but unless you really get into aviation history and the war, you never hear about the WASP and the ATA that allowed hundreds of male pilots to be free  to fight , or even the Russian women there where fighter pilots and scored victories. I think, and I could be wrong, that if more was taught about these women  that maybe, just maybe women today would take more of a interest in the game, and if not the game, then aviation history in general.
There is no such thing as I in team, but there is a ME.          
 "History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
Nice theory, augustk, but I think you simplify things a little too much.

Not all of us are ww2 aviation history enthusiasts, although many are. I for my part can tell that although I've learned a lot during these 10+ years playing AH, I still don't know the names of the Finnish aces, not to mention worldwide. I have read some Biggles novels and a bunch of Commando and Air Ace magazines, but merely for excitement. The adventures of Tom Sawyer or Tarzan were and still are just as thrilling as the war stories. In my late teens I wanted to be a military pilot, because they had no unemployment problems, had good income and early retirement age.

I don't know about your whereabouts, but when I was at school they didn't teach us too detailed ww2 history. One reason might have been not making the former enemy (USSR) angry by worshipping war heroes. As for my kids, now 13 and 16, ww2 is already so ancient history that only main lines are considered important, not single fights or fighters.

Gaming wise recent studies show that girls are interested in different type of games than boys. So, although there have been women in wartime aviation tasks, reliving their adventures through games isn't a girl thing to do. If it were, dominating women like Lara Croft or Charlie's Angels or Nina Williams from Tekken would be role models for girls just like Indiana Jones or McGyver are (were) for boys. As a kid I remember playing Tarzan and Batman with other boys, but I can't remember any of the girls ever jumping from trees as Sheena Queen of the Jungle or Wonderwoman or Xena, not to mention proudly wearing their outfits on the backyard or playground. It seems that from the very beginning women are from Venus and men from A... I mean Mars.

As a final note, the above does not mean that a woman playing AH would by any means be less feminine than her stereotypic Barbie-bred sister. Nor am I considering them as weirdos or freaks. Each one of us have our own reasons why we have stuck into this game and each reason is equally valuable.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
I know it !!

Girls just play Aces High for the hope of catching sauna pics of the Finns  :D
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SASMOX

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
I know it !!

:eek:

Nice to hear from you again Schatzi  :salute

I hope to see you again...Maybe in next Aces High spring meeting :aok

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2012, 06:09:11 AM »
I know it !!

Last time you forgot to take your camera into the sauna. OTOH, you didn't wear your glasses either... :bolt:
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
I've had some friends over a few times and let them play.
They kept crashing my plane  :huh

Was the gunsight not pink enough?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Pepprr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
Was the gunsight not pink enough?

The gunsight is wonderful! 
Thank you very much for it  :aok
I'm just scared to let them touch my computer after the last "episode"  lol  :joystick:   :x

~AoM~

SSACIFMTSHU 
My vids :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0db9fARH0

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
Two things...

-Hi Schatzi!!!!!!!  :salute  :)

-Interesting stat...the M/F ratio for the bbs is 91.4 to 1  :O

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »
-Interesting stat...the M/F ratio for the bbs is 91.4 to 1  :O
Yes.... and I've always believed the forum to be a reasonable representation of the game itself....   :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »
<----------------Got to say hi to Flossy yesterday as I was landing.  Had a bit of alt on her, approached to try and get a peek but she had that uniform buttoned ALL the way up.

:(

peppr lets me peek ya know
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:11:36 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
<----------------Got to say hi to Flossy yesterday as I was landing.  Had a bit of alt on her, approached to try and get a peek but she had that uniform buttoned ALL the way up.

That is a lie. peppr wouldnt let you peek.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
That is a lie. peppr wouldnt let you peek.

But you let everyone peek, I think you do it on purpose :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Pepprr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »

Zoney...you know I'd shoot you first before I would let you peek  lol   :devil
I see you coming and I put on a coat and wrap my skirt tight around my legs  :D
 :angel:

~AoM~

SSACIFMTSHU 
My vids :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0db9fARH0

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2012, 04:57:14 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I got mine  :D
It doesn't fly though :(
Is there anything a gentleman wouldn't do for a real lady?

Kotisivuni