Author Topic: Gonna Build my wife a new pc  (Read 1511 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Gonna Build my wife a new pc
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »
ok another 1/2 hr wasted, got the same error as before. i tried on two different hd's that I have windows.  here's the error.

(Image removed from quote.)

semp

Looks like you tried to run the setup without administrator rights and UAC on. UAC virtualizes the setting files and confuses the setup. Try running the setup again, this time 'run as administrator'.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
Looks like you tried to run the setup without administrator rights and UAC on. UAC virtualizes the setting files and confuses the setup. Try running the setup again, this time 'run as administrator'.

nope same error as before.  I guess it's not as easy as just downloading and installing it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
nope same error as before.  I guess it's not as easy as just downloading and installing it.

semp

It should be. If wubi won't work you can always do it the regular way - download and burn a dvd. Ubuntu will detect you already have windows on your hdd and create a dual boot setup for you.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »
I'm trying it again on my home pc now. Ill let you know how it goes.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
I got the same error as semp, however I just cleared it and restarted the pc. I am typing this from ubuntu  :x

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
I got the same error as semp, however I just cleared it and restarted the pc. I am typing this from ubuntu  :x

Did you install ubuntu-restricted-extras already with apt-get? I recommend installing at least msttcorefonts (included in the restricted package) to display websites properly even though the new ubuntu font has improved. The extras will bring you unrar, flash playback etc.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
Well done sir! I'd like to give you a gazillion hints and tips, but all I can do is to install and use some of its functions. Suffice to say it has saved my bacon several times. And it is satisfactory to notice I'm not too old to learn new tricks.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
Did you install ubuntu-restricted-extras already with apt-get? I recommend installing at least msttcorefonts (included in the restricted package) to display websites properly even though the new ubuntu font has improved. The extras will bring you unrar, flash playback etc.

:huh I have no idea how to do anything in ubuntu. I barely got it running.  :lol Can you translate what you said into english or perhaps explain it to me as if I were a 5th grader?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
:huh I have no idea how to do anything in ubuntu. I barely got it running.  :lol Can you translate what you said into english or perhaps explain it to me as if I were a 5th grader?

Use the unity (desktop) search on the top left corner of the screen to find a program called 'terminal' and run it. You will get a black box similar to ms-dos screen. Then paste this to the terminal:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

it will ask you for your password and then you'll see the install start.

Alternatively you can just open the ubuntu software center from your applications menu and browse there for free software. There are games, tools and even the restricted extras available double click away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:02:37 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
how did you clear the error?  did you press the "ok" button?

semp

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
how did you clear the error?  did you press the "ok" button?

semp
yep, just pressed ok and restarted

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
i did that with mine 3 times.  it didnt work.  oh well  I guess I am out of luck.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 03:35:45 AM »
i did that with mine 3 times.  it didnt work.  oh well  I guess I am out of luck.

semp

Just burn a dvd and do a dual boot install. Ubuntu will be perfect for her, it can do all the basic things except play windows games.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 04:25:40 AM »
i did that with mine 3 times.  it didnt work.  oh well  I guess I am out of luck. semp
Could it be possible that your antivirus is considering wubi as a potential threat? Lately I've found the sandbox in Avast doing things like that, although it clearly informs about it. Some other brand antivirus programs may act silently in the background.

Another possibility is, that your hardware isn't Debian compatible at all. I've heard different Linux distributions are somewhat tailored to certain hardware combinations, but it should be bootable in any case. You can test it by downloading and burning yourself an Ubuntu CD. You don't have to install anything, just boot from the CD. The live-CD will of course be a tad slower than the hard disk installation, but serves well for compatibility testing purposes. There's a menu asking whether you'd like to install Ubuntu or just try it from the CD.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
no my av was disabled.  and so was the firewall.  I wonder if it is because my disk is partitioned in 3 already and it tries to create another partition.  I bet this is the problem.  as I have 1 partition for windows another for ah and the 3rd for wot and other software I dont really want in my windows partition.

I have an old hd with windows but it also has 3 partitions gonna try it again on that one.  soon as I get better this damn flu is killing me, off work for 4 days already.

semp
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:05:07 PM by guncrasher »