Author Topic: K/D Champ  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Condor11

• Copper Member
Re: K/D Champ
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
Does this k/d ratio take into account gv kills or is it strictly air?  I ask because this in the air would take much greater effort. Jugs after all can carry 3 eggs and uually survive some nasty aa hits. So 3-1 on gvs seems almost mediocre, let alone 1.8.  Just curious since i do love a jug whether it b the 11 25 or N.

*edited for my horrible math
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:11:28 PM by Condor11 »
In game: CoverNow
Formerly : Condor
"If you cannot respect the forum posting rules, do not expect to get a twinkie for it."-Skuzzy

***Alchemists***

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
Does this k/d ratio take into account gv kills or is it strictly air? 

All targets.
Split up by type, it's K/D 1.7 vs planes and 3.2 vs GV
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
Does this k/d ratio take into account gv kills or is it strictly air?  I ask because this in the air would take much greater effort. Jugs after all can carry 3 eggs and uually survive some nasty aa hits. So 3-1 on gvs seems almost mediocre, let alone 1.8.  Just curious since i do love a jug whether it b the 11 25 or N.

*edited for my horrible math

It does not, which is not to say that all A-G kills are a piece of cake either especially with the new icon ranges.  It would be cool to see which airframe garnered the best A-A k/d.  My guess would be Ta152 or 38J.

But how does it stack up in K/T?  I like flying the Jugs, especially the D11 and D25, but it certainly seems to be a time sink to climb to alt in one. 

Yeah, the climb can be painful when heavy. I think that a close examination will show the Jugs hurting against "scramble/interceptor" aircraft like the Spits, 109, ki84 and 38J/L etc etc.  Against CV aircraft like the F6F and F4U whose transit times are often cut in half or better, the numbers will be equally skewed.  Something that isn't tracked per aircraft are numbers establishing survival rates.  The Jug may be slow but it seems to get me home more consistently than other types.
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 01:33:45 AM »
Flying the D-25 is no easy AC to fly.  As one player said it, "...it is a flying brick".  I had a few luck fighting aginst much stronger AC but at most i die.  The best way to give a good fight is keeping that E at all time, not getting into a low and slow fight. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
I pretty much average a 2 to 1 rate in all jugs. I think I could  easily increase that to a 5 to 1 average if I didn't fly like an idiot. One of the D-25s strengths is opponents underestimate it and get careless. This was especially true before the M was introduced. When the M came along, a jug icon became something to be feared instead of just a bomb truck.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »
I pretty much average a 2 to 1 rate in all jugs. I think I could  easily increase that to a 5 to 1 average if I didn't fly like an idiot. One of the D-25s strengths is opponents underestimate it and get careless. This was especially true before the M was introduced. When the M came along, a jug icon became something to be feared instead of just a bomb truck.

Yea, ever since the M showed up, more people fly jugs.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
Yea, ever since the M showed up, more people fly jugs.

The only thing I see anyone in an M do is run.... it's fast but most can't fight in it because they have no idea what it can really do. They only use it because it is fast.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
The only thing I see anyone in an M do is run.... it's fast but most can't fight in it because they have no idea what it can really do. They only use it because it is fast.

So we have another "run-stain".
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »
I like P47's alot.  The "M" is pretty sweet, but for me it's the "N" that always gets me in and out of fights.  Love that thing, and it does a heck of alot more than just B & Z although it certainly does that well.  The best is finding a high altitude fight that stays high at least for awhile.  I think if you learn to control this aircraft at it's extremes, (extremely fast or extremely slow) you too will find it addictive.  :salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »
So we have another "run-stain".

It's common for less aggressive players to fly fast fighters. Should they find themselves at a disadvantage, they head for the deck and skedaddle.

About a week ago, I was up in an F6F defending near a vehicle base. I saw a contact on the radar from the southwest. Since I already at 10k (shot down a formation of bombers), I started climbing in the direction of the incoming aircraft. Passing 14k, I saw the icon of a P-47 up around 16k. I headed towards it in a shallow climb, building some speed. As the distance closed, I was off its nose, slightly to its left. The icon switched to P-47M and I began a tight reverse. The Jug blew by, but my reverse put me within 600 yards dead astern. I saw the P-47M had drop tanks. I fired a short burst (already pretty low on ammo) and saw a few hits. The Jug pilot pushed over into a dive. The range opened to around 800 yards. We headed down, with speeds in excess of 500 mph. The jug was doing a mild jinking. The range remained at 800 yards. I took a few brief shots, scoring hits each time. The range clicked down to 600 yards just as we leveled off about 200 feet above the water. I only had about 100 rounds remaining and I fired one last time. More hits and a flap came off and a fuel leak started. That's when I saw a friendly P-51 closing fast from behind. The pilot asked if I needed help. I said, "he's shot up, but I'm out of ammo. He's all yours", and broke off. I headed for the v-base as my fuel was down to 6 minutes at full power and it was a half sector to the base. About 30 seconds later, I saw the kill message pop up.

Before I landed, the P-47M pilot was on 200 whining about how my F6F could keep up with his P-47M in a dive. I replied that the P-47 has no advantage in a dive. Both are big, heavy fighters. I told him that I managed my E better and he had failed to dump his drop tanks. He called it BS and ranted about the flight models, etc. So, if you're going to run, run smart.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »
I thought for sure when the M came out I'd fly it 100% of the time.  Then I realized the lack of an attack role was a major put-off (very un-jug like :old:) and the extra speed made it feel like easy mode.  With only 130 or so examples built the M is least representative of the "definitive Jug" experience.  To me the M seems like the refuge of a 51 driver who doesn't want the "Runstang" label.  Like the Spixteen, I for one am glad the M model rarely has a good stick at the controls.
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
my apologies for bringing the 38j k/d ratio down  :frown: :bolt:

Offline StabOps

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »
my apologies for bringing the 38j k/d ratio down  :frown: :bolt:

I call BS on that one....good stick....class act.

Stab
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »
Unless you're at 20k and been level for 25 miles, The M doesn't really outrun anything. 109, 190, 51 will all catch it unless you have WEP and a full head of steam. Takes the M an entire sector to get to the 470mph advertised speed. In the vertical is where you catch unaware pilots because it will hang there longer than the standard jug. And it will pull away from a Hellcat but not with the drop tanks on it.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »
I've been caught by F6F's in a dive before, several times, but the Kitty always had an initial E advantage. 

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors