Author Topic: Silly Question...  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
Silly Question...
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Why are all game sounds in mono?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Silly Question...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
The game computes the position and adjusts which speaker gets which levels to approximate situation relative to the computer user. It screws things up to record in stereo if the stereo is a byproduct that varies with the computations.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
Twinboom made some nice stereo sounds. You can get them here http://www.mediafire.com/?l79d435x6lip2

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
Youda thunk they woulda fixed this by now...  Why not have a sound pack for internal and external sounds?  Internal cockpit sounds should be in stereo.  Deja vu...

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
The game computes the position and adjusts which speaker gets which levels to approximate situation relative to the computer user. It screws things up to record in stereo if the stereo is a byproduct that varies with the computations.

nonsense
Miles is fully capable of playing stereo
There are some issues with windows 7 and onbaord chips but that has nothing to do with game or its current sound engine
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:42:26 PM »
nonsense
Miles is fully capable of playing stereo
There are some issues with windows 7 and onbaord chips but that has nothing to do with game or its current sound engine

Interesting...  I remember with the old system stereo sounds would not play from external sources (other tanks, aircraft in your vicinity, etc...).  The reason given was what crusty has said.  I am going to start building a custom soundpack...

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Interesting...  I remember with the old system stereo sounds would not play from external sources (other tanks, aircraft in your vicinity, etc...).  The reason given was what crusty has said.  I am going to start building a custom soundpack...

This is true but htc has Miles Sound Platform now
the old sound engine would not play stereo
TBs Sounds 

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 01:30:40 AM »
Perhaps so, but I believe Skuzzy has said mono is required.

Think about it. Stereo is positional by nature. It's an attempt to locate something with 2 speakers. What if the location of the sound doesn't mesh with the location it's supposed to be in-game? You can set up conflicting issues. I'm not saying that's the case after the conversion to miles, but I think the mono comment from Skuzzy was post-miles.

A quick PM would clear it up, if you wanted to take the time.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:34:40 AM »
Its been pointed out many many times before. The problem is with DirectX although its not really a problem. Miles will work with stereo. DirectX will give poor results when working out the 3D positioning. That doesnt mean that 3D wont work with stereo inputs. It means in order for it to work properly the inputs should be mono (single channel). Most people that play AH dont have an audio system that can tell the difference. Also... most people dont care if what they are hearing is realistic or not. "Cool" is more important.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »
Miles may merge stereo sources down to mono before applying the 3D positional information.  Either that or they forgo 3D positioning on stereo sources.  I cannot find an accurate answer to that one.

Either way, like Challenger stated, you cannot accurately position a stereo audio source in 3D space.

The best audio source is a mono source when 3D positioning is being applied.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 02:34:37 PM »
Perhaps so, but I believe Skuzzy has said mono is required.

Think about it. Stereo is positional by nature. It's an attempt to locate something with 2 speakers. What if the location of the sound doesn't mesh with the location it's supposed to be in-game? You can set up conflicting issues. I'm not saying that's the case after the conversion to miles, but I think the mono comment from Skuzzy was post-miles.

A quick PM would clear it up, if you wanted to take the time.

I pm`ed Hitech few months back said would work and best test was to try it. I have sb audigy 2z and 5.1 headphones and regular stereo headphones
With stereo headphones i have no issues determining 3d position and have heard no complaints
with 5.1 i can tell a big difference in quality and better positioning.

but i can agree with challenge most peeps are not running a decent sound card this is why i also have a mono sound pack
for those whom want basic sounds but for the audiophiles out there whom strive for realism i have a stereo pack
TBs Sounds 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Positioning cannot be better as it is all run through the same code.

Again, true 3D positioning cannot be accurately done using a stereo source.  It requires a mono source.

Whether Miles is merging the stereo source down to a single channel or completely by-passing 3D placement is the only question I have not been able to find the answer to.

If you are applying another filter/CODEC (i.e. DTS, Dolby...), outside of the game, then all bets are off.

By the way, this is not a game limitation.  DirectSound/Miles requires a mono sound source for 3D positioning to be done.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:29:45 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
works for me and others using my sounds

but like i was told try it test them see if it works for you if it doesn't there are pure mono
TBs Sounds 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »
If you are getting 3D placement from a stereo source, then the source is being merged down to mono before being handed to DirectSound for 3D positioning.

It is going to work the same for everyone, unless people are applying CODEC/filters or some other form of DSP in the sound card drivers.  In those cases, there is no way to know what might happen to the sound.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:34:49 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
skuzzy another question. why are engines in your plane not positioned correctly? i have a 5.1 surround sound and it bugs me why the p39 sound comes out of the front of the plane when the engine is in the bacK?
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"