Author Topic: PTAB  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: PTAB
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »
Has the reduced icon range really such a big impact? Not on finding the tanks but on the way thy are attacked? I mean, bombing them had always been the #1 way to kill them in planes, and I find myself using the same angles in my Hurri D as before. It didn't take long to adjust for the short icon ranges. It's just more difficult to find them in the first place, particularly when they have cover with engine shut down. But I like that, much fun!

Even with the Removed F3 mode, the Il-2 using a spotter is the most deadliest ground attack aircraft, one sortie using a Storch I banged out 7 or so kills? It must of been a recent tour.
I don't even need a dive, I come in low using ZOOM to locate where the turret is aimed - if its at me - I turn away and attack the next tank - otherwise side shots at 200 do the work.
JG 52

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 06:15:34 AM »
 The IL2M3 with the PTAB should be the uber tank killer it was............. but lets be clear it was not accurate...... these things would be spilled over tank positions and some would penetrate armour and some (having penetrated armour) would knock out a tank or render its drive systems useless, many would miss altogether. Standard tactic was for a group of Il2's to circle low over massed tank formations carpeting the area in PTAB's. Whermacht opened up its tank formations from Kursk onwards for this very reason.

If tanks were in proximity to an air base that had access to the IL2m3 with PTAB, and if they were there without air cover or at least ground>air defence then they would be slaughtered (read Bagration and the tank losses to IL2M3's in the region of  Minsk) .............. and rightly so.............. and so should it be in AH IMO.

Perhaps it should be a "perked" ordinance or perhaps if it makes the IL2m3 over popular the plane itself should be perked..........

I would also comment that the recent changes to icon visibility have brought about a much more viable gameplay model. Vehicles are no longer lit up for all to see from longer distances and have some chance to hide under vegetation
Ludere Vincere

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:12 AM »
bustr if its one thing I know how to do in this game its kill tanks with NS-37 guns. Even the panzers-4s are harder to penetrate in low angle attacks and their side plate is crap. As to PTABs it seems that every real life thing that can be used to limit the platform is embraced while every real life thing that could enhance it is ignored. PTABs actualy WERE used and actually WERE devestating to armor. Course the Germans didnt pay $15 a month to have PTABs dumped on them. ;)

The Hurri-D is a diferent animal. It has a much better climb rate and is more agile. Its easier to achieve the high angle to penetrate plate even still. At the same time it has no bomb bay and no rear gunner so it deserves to be in the FH and without F3.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
PTAB's?  Really?  You've got to be kidding! :furious  Think of all the crying that will be on the forums you fool! :bhead

:lol

Seriously though, if it was used quite a bit, I don't see why not.  Finally, an effective way to kill a KT with an Il-2. :aok

However, with all this talk about the NS-37, I leave with this; and mind you, assume both used 100 RPG...

BK37 vs NS-37

:devil
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
PTAB's? +1, if they can be modelled correctly. If it was a widely used ordinance, there's no reason it shouldn't be available here. Surely it can't be any more devastating to armour than an 1800kg Volkswagen dropped from a Stuka.

F3 for IL2? Cheesy arcade game crap that has no business in a flight or combat sim.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
PTAB's would be quite destructive with campers :)
Big +1
JG 52

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
PTABs will be added to the game at the same time that they add nukes...

MH

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
I have more kills in IL2 than anyone else in this game according to that spreadsheet lusche did a while back.

I love flying the il2 and I enjoy the removal of f3 view immensly. it has undweebed it by a bit. taking it out of the bomber hangar has made it even less dweeby as the save-the-base-at-all-costs tards dont flock to it when the fighter hangars are down.

the reduction of icons on ground vehicles is also excellent. it dosn't affect the slow moving low flying il2 much.

its easier to survive pesky fighters than wirblewinds in the slow flying il2. over the very large ground wars its almost certain death to try to make cannon runs on turret roofs with a pack of wirbles hosing you down. generally when the wirbles get that thick you have to resort back to the speedy fw190f8 with its armor piercing rockets and the bomb or a p47 if you dont  have the knack with the rockets.

a20... wayy too gamey and dweeb central. I refuse to fly it on general priciple that it has no business having an external view either. not to mention 8 chances to miss. at least it  gets shredded by wirbles like the il2 when air defense vehicles are at the fight.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »
I have more kills in IL2 than anyone else in this game according to that spreadsheet lusche did a while back.

I did?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »
the most kills per plane type thing

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
the most kills per plane type thing

I did one chart for 2011 only (it's pretty much pointless to do one for all times), and you came out on #7 in kills, GHI still # 1 in that category with 1508 kills.
However, GHI has largely given up flying the IL-2 since the big change :D

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »
ah. well I like it a lot since the change.

no external view for a plane with armored peepholes for windows is the correct one.

now to get tanks with no external view  :devil

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

I love flying the il2 and I enjoy the removal of f3 view immensly. it has undweebed it by a bit. taking it out of the bomber hangar has made it even less dweeby as the save-the-base-at-all-costs tards dont flock to it when the fighter hangars are down.

the reduction of icons on ground vehicles is also excellent. it dosn't affect the slow moving low flying il2 much.

its easier to survive pesky fighters than wirblewinds in the slow flying il2. over the very large ground wars its almost certain death to try to make cannon runs on turret roofs with a pack of wirbles hosing you down. generally when the wirbles get that thick you have to resort back to the speedy fw190f8 with its armor piercing rockets and the bomb or a p47 if you dont  have the knack with the rockets.

a20... wayy too gamey and dweeb central. I refuse to fly it on general priciple that it has no business having an external view either. not to mention 8 chances to miss. at least it  gets shredded by wirbles like the il2 when air defense vehicles are at the fight.

Nail, meet hammer.

You hit it right on the head.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
lusche you got me looking through the recent il2 stats... I saw a guy named DMZ with astronomical il2 k/d then I saw it was vs a pt boat and a jeep... 132 times... against the same guy... over multiple tours lmao!

thats a lot of dedication to playing with yourself in public... er an online arena.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
lusche you got me looking through the recent il2 stats... I saw a guy named DMZ with astronomical il2 k/d then I saw it was vs a pt boat and a jeep... 132 times... against the same guy... over multiple tours lmao!

thats a lot of dedication to playing with yourself in public... er an online arena.

You found somethign that can be turned in to HTC. If you take an even closer look at the "victim" you will see it's just a tip of the iceberg. Actually it's the worst case I have ever seen in AH.  :furious
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:21:31 AM by Lusche »