Author Topic: Falling tanks  (Read 2252 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Falling tanks
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »
So how do you hit them with the unmarked 88 gunsight

This would fix the non sight issue.

Add what should already be there.  :aok

Only thing is the gunners would be even more deadly with 4X magnification.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/88mm-antiaircraft-gun/sighting-equipment-german-artillery-88mm.html

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
Strange things were going on there the other day! I was sitting there in my Panzer, all of a sudden what I presumed to be an enemy tank (no icon) appears to my left, moving at a very very high rate of speed, from left to right in front of me.... he had just come flying down the canyon wall, and somehow was still moving at what appeared to be 100+ mph across the spawn.... on his roof! No way I could hit that fast of a target with my main gun but I managed a few pings on him with my machine gun as he passed in front of me, flew across the canyon floor, and exploded against the far right wall.  Strangest GV kill I've gotten credit for yet! :rofl
:rofl

Offline Chungo63

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
Boy I'm glad to see that others are fed up with this too.

The other day there was a Tiger II (Fester) perched at the top of this cliff. He was knocking off tanks wholesale. I upped a Tiger 1, perched it on the side of a berm and started firing. Round after round bounced off him, but I expected that. He one shot kills me from this perch. I think WTF, so I up another one. After hitting him several more times he starts what I believe will be a sure wild ride to the bottom of this cliff. Amazingly, after flipping and bouncing, he stops half way down and begins to fire again. I begin firing on him again. After several more hits he starts another wild slide down the cliff, but wait, he stops again!!!! He once again starts firing (WTF????) 

It gets better, somehow I must have tracked him. (I later watched the film) He sits there for a minute or so, incredibly he must have received supplies because I watch in disbelief as his damaged track repairs itself. After the track repairs itself, he begins another out of control descent to the bottom. He somehow survives this fall and goes on to kill numerous more tanks.

I realize that this is just a game and have learned to deal with the tank flipping bushes, but really?????  If anyone is interested, I could post the film.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Chungo63,

Send the film to HTC.  They'll likely adjust the spawn point.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
Chungo63,

this has come up 100 times and they haven't gotten to it yet..... :noid

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
the gv's have been spawning up on that hill even before the last 2 updates--when your country is on that side of the map you will spawn up there too..and i bet you won't say a word about it..nor anyone else on your side..you all will just laugh at your country mates when they slide down one side and up the other.so many people  :cry about this issue thats it's silly.nuf said
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »
It's kind of silly, but IIRC it only happens at that one spawn, and it provides a bit of variety and comic relief, so I say leave it be.  Just make sure the side rotation works on Trinity, so it's not always the Bishops who spawn there...

MH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »
I spawned on top of that stupid hill 6, 7, 8 times in a row one night.  Even though I had a position to hit the enemy below (there's a spot that works that only fits one tank) I didn't get more than a kill or two (high ENY Panzer) and of course the bomb you know what's loved that spot.  I finally spawned at the base and drove out so I could actually kill people.

Yep, awsome advantage.   :rolleyes:   :cry
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 02:01:52 AM »
LOL
FESTER IS SUCH A BAWSCE< ZOMG

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Boy I'm glad to see that others are fed up with this too.

The other day there was a Tiger II (Fester) perched at the top of this cliff. He was knocking off tanks wholesale. I upped a Tiger 1, perched it on the side of a berm and started firing. Round after round bounced off him, but I expected that. He one shot kills me from this perch. I think WTF, so I up another one. After hitting him several more times he starts what I believe will be a sure wild ride to the bottom of this cliff. Amazingly, after flipping and bouncing, he stops half way down and begins to fire again. I begin firing on him again. After several more hits he starts another wild slide down the cliff, but wait, he stops again!!!! He once again starts firing (WTF????)  

It gets better, somehow I must have tracked him. (I later watched the film) He sits there for a minute or so, incredibly he must have received supplies because I watch in disbelief as his damaged track repairs itself. After the track repairs itself, he begins another out of control descent to the bottom. He somehow survives this fall and goes on to kill numerous more tanks.

I realize that this is just a game and have learned to deal with the tank flipping bushes, but really?????  If anyone is interested, I could post the film.

FYI, a Tiger II will generally kill anything else with one shot, including a Tiger I; this is independent of the spawn point issue.  Furthermore, the "resupply" capability is independent as well.  That's how the game works, so you need to learn to deal with it.  With respect to track damage; there are plenty of real-world examples of WWII tank crews repairing tracks in the field, frequently under fire. 

MH

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
Mrs. Cleaver:  Ward honey, you were pretty tough on the Beaver last night!
Ward Cleaver: Who's yo Daddy Biznatch. I tore that thang up!

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Chungo63

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
TDeacon...Thanks for the lecture.......First you talk game, then you talk real world.....which is it? I realize that this is a game. I realize that a Tiger II will one shot kill a Tiger I...I gotta really question the ablity of your tank crew to fix the track of of a Tiger II that is defying gravity. I was merely pointing out a glich in the game.....Lecture not necessary!!!!!!!!!

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »
Chungo63,

and thats all it is..the spawn point is out of alignment-and apperantly always has been
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
TDeacon...Thanks for the lecture.......First you talk game, then you talk real world.....which is it? I realize that this is a game. I realize that a Tiger II will one shot kill a Tiger I...I gotta really question the ablity of your tank crew to fix the track of of a Tiger II that is defying gravity. I was merely pointing out a glich in the game.....Lecture not necessary!!!!!!!!!

It’s both “game” and “real world”, actually.  Sorry about the lecture.  Note however that you commented adversely (in a single paragraph) on a mix of game elements, and seemed to be suggesting that there is some sort of majority view that they all needed to be changed (or at least that is what I inferred when I read it).  I guess I just wanted to disagree, and did so in an imperfectly worded manner.  Taking these issues individually:

The Tiger gun penetration and track replacement elements seem reasonably historical.  So my vote is to leave these alone. 

The overall GV “instant repair” capability is clearly not historical, but neither is instant aircraft rearm/refuel.  So my vote is to leave these alone also for gameplay reasons.   

The movement of GVs over the terrain is not very realistic/historical.  Vehicles travel cross country at speeds which are about twice what they would use in “real life”, and the physics of hill transit are a bit strange.  However, the former is probably necessary for gameplay purposes, and the latter is kind of fun.  I am used to these game elements, and have come to enjoy them, so my vote is to leave these alone as well. 

The single Trinity spawn point “misalignment” is neither historical nor ahistorical.  It has always been there, however, and I think it adds some variety to the normal face-to-face canyon GV fights.  So my vote is to leave this alone as well.  If it bothers other players, I would suggest to them that it only occurs in this one spot, and that they could always do their GV fighting somewhere else on the map.  Your opinion seems to differ from mine on these last 2 paragraphs. 

MH
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:40:47 PM by TDeacon »

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
 :huh Go find a game that's more realistic, this much fun, costs about the same, then come & show us.  :neener:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,