Author Topic: TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »
Just unpacked le trackIR5 I received for my birthday (I love my Girlfriend). I Installed the software, plugged it in, centered, launched aces high, mapped the buttons, and centered the view ingame.
I'm rolling a plane offline and as soon as I got the wheels off the runway I got overwhelmed with the feeling of actually flying! I've been playing this game for a decade+ now and the immersion you get with trackIR is brilliant!

Now for the gamey part, I used to have a decent SA and fear it will go down the drain for a while, but that is expected...Is there any way I can use an overnose view without having to put my face on the screen? And a 6 view outside the backplate without falling off my chair?  :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:30:29 AM »
Now for the gamey part, I used to have a decent SA and fear it will go down the drain for a while, but that is expected...Is there any way I can use an overnose view without having to put my face on the screen? And a 6 view outside the backplate without falling off my chair?  :D

Yes, by adjusting the different axis in your profil individually until you have it working right for you. You can make the motion curves more agressive so you don't have to move around in your chair as much, you can make them more responsive but add a deadband so that your view ain't moved around just because you were coughing ;)

It's the most individual controller and you should take your time to find a setting that refelcts your personal preference and circumstances.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:42 AM »
I find it very helpful to have both the TrackIR on/off toggle and "re-center" functions mapped to buttons on my throttle/stick.  If you slouch down in your RL seat and re-center TIR, you can get a little bit better over-the-nose view.  Likewise if you rotate down a little in pitch and then re-center, you can get a little bit better view of the sky above you.  Plus, I find my TIR works best if I keep the reflectors at least arm's length back away from the TIR sending unit.  The TIR sure is great for "leaning" around the canopy framing in various planes!

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26:07 AM »
Track IR is ace, get track clip pro if you can :)

I thought it was banned in France for being too American :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:35:46 AM »
Your hat switches still work and will override the TIR input.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:45:57 AM »
Your hat switches still work and will override the TIR input.

yes I've seen that but they don't use my recorded views when doing it....should I try to record them again with TIR enabled?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »
Track IR is ace, get track clip pro if you can :)

I thought it was banned in France for being too American :)

track clip pro seems nice, but it requires one more cord plugged in  :frown:

I won't comment the 2nd sentence, you little trouble maker  :t
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:50:41 AM »
You will get used to TIR much quicker if you don't use the hat views anymore at all.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 06:55:37 AM »
proclip has socket built in to connect to Reciever, so only one usb required  :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:57:53 AM »
lolwut, TrackIR without a VR headset sounds awful...

If your using a 1 handed joystick, just use the mouse on the opposite hand for views and like described above by bino; map a view centering key on your joystick (preferably near your gun buttons).

Epic viewing on da cheap for the win! lulz

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »
lolwut, TrackIR without a VR headset sounds awful...

If your using a 1 handed joystick, just use the mouse on the opposite hand for views and like described above by bino; map a view centering key on your joystick (preferably near your gun buttons).

Epic viewing on da cheap for the win! lulz

its pretty good actually, and pretty natural.

My left hand is on my throttle, busy trying to do piloting stuff.

If I don't have to use my view hat anymore I may give my X65 another try  :aok
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
I had a hell of a time getting used to my TrackIR, in the beginning I battled constant nausea and vertigo. During the first frame of the recent scenario, I had such a bad bout of vertigo that I closed my eyes until it went away. Not something I'd recommend in a scenario! I think I've gotten to the point that switching back to hat switches would make things worse and I'm starting to have an easier time. If you use taters, the device makes shooting MUCH easier as you can more smoothly track the target.

Here are my rules for a good TrackIR experience;

1. Don't even bother using anyone's profile, unless you want to use it as a starting point.

2. If you're a very old hat user, I'd recommend a more aggressive profile so the delay in looking around is similar. However, read rule #1.

3. I found shooting with a gunsight that moved was very frustrating, so I put in a deadband in the center. Nothing is worse or more uncomfortable than having to keep your head perfectly still.  However, read rule #1.

4. Disable roll axis and make the x axis (lean side to side) very aggressive to look around canopy bars and armor plate. However, read rule #1.

5. Set a joystick button in Aces High to re-center this device. This is a must, regardless of rule #1.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »
I tried TrackIR twice, and although I love the concept of how it works, and the immersive purpose of it in the game, I literally kept getting headaches while using it. Very frustrating.  :(
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
That will go away... think of it as training your body to do something it doesn't like. I find I skipped meals following my first month or two with TrackIR and actually lost weight because of it.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »
I find I skipped meals following my first month or two with TrackIR and actually lost weight because of it.

Too bad it had not the same effect on me  :cry