Author Topic: TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!  (Read 2177 times)

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
Re: TrackIR - WOW I'm flying!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
Fortunately, I never had those problems. I started with a "homemade" TrackIR which used a normal web cam and IR LEDs on a baseball hat.  Actually for the price it worked pretty well.  Then I got the TrackIR 5 with the Pro Clip (which seems to be very similar to what I had built). I really can't fly without it now.  As the others have said, setup your own profile. Also there are some good threads on setup and using TrackIR.  Good luck!!!!
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
track IR 5 comes with a aces high II preset with a pretty nice deadband already configured.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »
I find I skipped meals following my first month or two with TrackIR and actually lost weight because of it.

Oh hell... I normally weigh 160 lbs... I think I'd starve. :D
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 07:44:34 AM »
I found the preset was a good start.  I "toned" it down in the center and aggressive as I turned my head.  Hope it all helps...
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 07:47:16 AM »
The things that helped me...

-  Like Del said, uncheck  the roll axis.  Doing this really helped me to get used to TrackIR.  Then after a month or so I was able to add it back without a problem.

-  Like Del said again, add a little deadband to the center so you can get a good gunsight view.

-  Pause TrackIR and position your view raised in the seat a little, but with the center of the gunsight still visible.   Then F10 to save.  This becomes your center position when you recenter TrackIr.

-  Check the Trueview box in the TrackIR software.  Also, in the Aces High view options, there is a TrackIR related option (I forget exactly what it is) that needs to be checked also.

-  When you re-center TrackIR, lean back in your seat a little bit farther then you do while flying.  Then when you sit normally, you will be a little closer to your gun sight.  This makes seeing around your seat back easier.

- The stiff/sore neck and back will pass after a period of time.  Suffer through it and it will stop being a problem eventually.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
Could not, and would not fly without Track IR.  :airplane:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
 :banana:

Well worth the money, but takes a while to set up.

Lots of profiles in the forums to try :)

If your in The Few your poo
If your not in The GFC your wee
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
If your in The Few your poo
If your not in The GFC your wee

It's you're Zack...  You're...   :bhead

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
I stopped using Track IR, my biggest problems is getting my head into position for snapshots which my joystick can easily do with a hat switch (hotas warth
JG 52

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
I tried TrackIR twice, and although I love the concept of how it works, and the immersive purpose of it in the game, I literally kept getting headaches while using it. Very frustrating.  :(

I got bad headaches when ever I worked on it.

HiTech

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
Strange, I have never had even the slightest dizziness or headache problems.

I always thought it would be weird to to move your head seemingly all around the cockpit without multi monitors or an HMD, but it's amazing how natural it seems to move your head only slightly and get a new view on a single monitor.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
To be honest, I don't understand how people play this game without a TrackIR and pedals.  I just love them both soooo much.

My eyes/brain seem to have no trouble adjusting to things like TrackIR and 3D for some reason, just lucky I guess.  Never had headaches/vertigo from either.  IMAX has messed with me now and again though, slightly concerned if I were ever to try an HMD.

The one piece of advice I feel is worth repeating over and over and over again with TrackIR is, fiddle with the profile until you get it exactly how you like it.  It is the single most personal setting you have with the game, even moreso than joystick button mappings.  If you don't have it working just how you want it, whatever's bugging you will only continue to bug you.  It's kind of a tedious process, but the v5 software isn't too bad to work with.

I disagree with the 'uncheck roll' crowd, but everybody's different.  The important thing with the roll axis is to have it set to 1:1, so when you tilt your head, it moves the same amount ingame.  I find it helps me track the orientation of my plane better for some reason.

For a single monitor setup, I think the best way to use it is with a very aggressive setup.  I only need to move my head or turn my head a couple inches in any direction to get full movement.  I also like to have a pretty good sized deadband in the x/y/z axes so I can get my head back to center easily for gunnery.  Once my head starts moving sideways, it only takes about a couple inches to move it all the way to the side of the cockpit.

Another tidbit I didn't notice mentioned is, you can turn off TIR with F9, hit one of the hat switch buttons and let it go to put your head back to center, and then move the 'at rest' position of your head to wherever you want it with the arrow keys and pgup/pgdn, and hit f10 to save it, just like you could before trackIR.  I find this very useful for getting better six views out of the F4U series for example, by moving my head as high as I can get it.

My advice would be to try other peoples' profiles and find what you like, and then tweak it to be exactly how you want it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
I got bad headaches when ever I worked on it.

HiTech

I think some people are sensitive to certain Video Graphics. It challenges your mind as it tries to orient yourself in space.  

Some cheap games I had to give away in the past due to headaches/ dizziness. One was an old Starwars game first person shooter with bad graphics. People have been known to have epileptic episodes playing Video Games.
   I watch my Grandson too long playing Halo and I have to walk away.
   But I've never had an issue with AH as I don't use Trac IR and have played 6+ hours.

Sadly I don't think I could qualify for a NASA mission.  :cry
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
Its known that first person view videogames can give headaches if the angle of view is set to 70 degrees. The Elders Scroll series is a good exemple.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh Cheaters...I still fly with Mouse!  :banana: :x :banana: :x :banana: :x
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher