Author Topic: Terrain Editor Neophyte Issues  (Read 541 times)

Offline sigmet

• Zinc Member
Terrain Editor Neophyte Issues
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
Greetings,

Last weekend I finally took up the daunting task of learning the terrain editor.  Thanks to mrmidi for a great "how to" on this forum about getting started with the terrain editor. That was a huge help!    I have run into a few problems that i can't seem to figure out.  Hopefully the community can.

I am using windows XP SP 3.0 with Terrain Editor 2.27 Patch 6 ( latest )

1.  How do you make a clipboard map?  I followed mrmidi instructions several times to the letter.  I only get an odd blue and grey bmp with geometric shapes and zero terrain features.   Is this a bug ?  If so, anyone know a work around ?

2. If I add a more than one bishop base I simply cannot move to it.  When I go into the arena setup and switch the base to knight.  I can move to it.  Switch it back to bishop and i can't move to it. The only bishop base i can move to is the first one i created.

3.  I can see bases thru the terrain. If i have two bases, one higher elevation and one lower.  The lower elevation base can be seen as a ghost image thru the ground of the higher elevation base. Is this something i am doing wrong?

Finally my most import question:

4, How do you upload a terrain to the custom arenas?  Do I use the Resource Builder?  After successfully finding no errors in my terrain, I get a username/password error with the resource builder.  I've tried it every which way with my username case. Firewall off and bypassing the router altogether.   I am assuming the username password is the same as the Aces High game username password?

Thanks for in advance for any help.  The Terrain Builder is super cool and I can't wait to dig deeper into it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Terrain Editor Neophyte Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:04:41 AM »
Greetings,

Last weekend I finally took up the daunting task of learning the terrain editor.  Thanks to mrmidi for a great "how to" on this forum about getting started with the terrain editor. That was a huge help!    I have run into a few problems that i can't seem to figure out.  Hopefully the community can.

I am using windows XP SP 3.0 with Terrain Editor 2.27 Patch 6 ( latest )

1.  How do you make a clipboard map?  I followed mrmidi instructions several times to the letter.  I only get an odd blue and grey bmp with geometric shapes and zero terrain features.   Is this a bug ?  If so, anyone know a work around ?

2. If I add a more than one bishop base I simply cannot move to it.  When I go into the arena setup and switch the base to knight.  I can move to it.  Switch it back to bishop and i can't move to it. The only bishop base i can move to is the first one i created.

3.  I can see bases thru the terrain. If i have two bases, one higher elevation and one lower.  The lower elevation base can be seen as a ghost image thru the ground of the higher elevation base. Is this something i am doing wrong?

4, How do you upload a terrain to the custom arenas?  Do I use the Resource Builder?  After successfully finding no errors in my terrain, I get a username/password error with the resource builder.  I've tried it every which way with my username case. Firewall off and bypassing the router altogether.   I am assuming the username password is the same as the Aces High game username password?

Thanks for in advance for any help.  The Terrain Builder is super cool and I can't wait to dig deeper into it.

1. This function is broken in the TE at the moment.

2 through 4. Someone would need to review the source files to say with any confidence.

The advice I consistently give to a new builder is to contact someone who regularly posts in this forum and see if they are willing to get with you on a voice program like Skype or Teamspeak.

Good luck.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:30:08 AM »
1.  How do you make a clipboard map?  I followed mrmidi instructions several times to the letter. 
I only get an odd blue and grey bmp with geometric shapes and zero terrain features.   Is this a bug ?  If so, anyone know a work around ?

I don't normally make my clipboard maps with in the TE I use Photoshop.
However I never install a new version of the Terrain Editor over the existing version I have. I install it in a new folder
with it's version number as the name. There have been issues with the make map function in the last couple of
version updates. The last version that seemed to not have issues with the make map function is 2.21 patch 3
Therefore I can copy my source files into that versions folder and make the CBM with it.
If you need me to assist you in making a clip board map, shoot me a PM and we'll get you fixed up.

2. If I add a more than one bishop base I simply cannot move to it.  When I go into the arena setup and switch the base to knight. 
I can move to it.  Switch it back to bishop and i can't move to it. The only bishop base i can move to is the first one i created.

Insure that you have an HQ for all three countries and that they are all the proper zone numbers.
I typically use zone 1 as Bishop, zone 2 as Knight and zone 3 as Rook. If you already have those correct,
under the settings menu of the Terrain Editor make sure your fields are all assigned to the right country.
Also field 1 has to be set to zone 1, field 2 has to be set to zone 2, and fields 3 has to be set to zone 3.
Each field after that can be any zone you like but the first 3 have to be set as above.

3.  I can see bases thru the terrain. If i have two bases, one higher elevation and one lower. 
The lower elevation base can be seen as a ghost image thru the ground of the higher elevation base. Is this something i am doing wrong?

This almost sounds like a rendering issue with your graphics card.
The Editor does seem to require and use more resources than the game it's self does.

4, How do you upload a terrain to the custom arenas?  Do I use the Resource Builder? 
After successfully finding no errors in my terrain, I get a username/password error with the resource builder. 
I've tried it every which way with my username case. Firewall off and bypassing the router altogether.   
I am assuming the username password is the same as the Aces High game username password?

You are correct that the username and password are your games username and password. The user name is the one that
you use to log in to the game not the name seen in the game, unless they are the same.
Also the terrain name has to be 5 to 8 alpha numeric characters long.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline sigmet

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:37:19 PM »
Thanks mrmidi. Again you are a huge help!

mrmidi> I don't normally make my clipboard maps with in the TE I use Photoshop.
mrmidi> The last version that seemed to not have issues with the make map function is 2.21 patch 3

I only have the latest terrain editor version.  Anywhere on hitechcreations.com to download an older stable version for that? Photoshop is overkill
right now for my weak map ;-)  Otherwise i can prob hack something in paint.  Just trying to save some time as the map is constantly evolving as i learn more.

mrmidi> Also the terrain name has to be 5 to 8 alpha numeric characters long.

Bingo!  Was only 3 chars, changed that and now i can upload.   

sigmet>I can see bases thru the terrain.
mrmidi> This almost sounds like a rendering issue with your graphics card.

It only happens in the game.  It looks right in the terrain editor. Will poke around some more and post any resolution.

sigmet>If I add a more than one bishop base I simply cannot move to it. 
mrmidi>Insure that you have an HQ for all three countries...fields are all assigned to the right country...zone you like but the first 3 have to be set as above.

I am sure after my changes its all jacked up.  It seems to work correctly in the custom arena now. Haven't tested it after the name change in the offline practice to know for sure.

Thanks for the help mrmidi.  This weekend I am moving on to the learning the cloud editor, so i can finally get some IFR time in these old birds.

Cheers mate !