Author Topic: B-24 Rocket Launcher  (Read 2858 times)

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
B-24 Rocket Launcher
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »
Intresting set of pictures on E-bay.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/rocket-launcher-b24-liberator-32786.html

Rocket launcher mounted on back of B-24, possibley to deter attacks from the back?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: B-24 Rocket Launcher
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »
Not likely. Those are air to ground rockets (3.5" I think?) and the angle would be so high as to be ludicrous to fire at planes following you. More than likely it was a 1-off experimental test for low-flying PB models hunting for subs. If the depth charges didn't finish it off, a steep climb would allow firing the rockets.

Although, that'd be one darned steep pullout if so. I think more than anything it was some hairbrained scheme that never amounted to much.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »
Hate to do it Krusty, but Beau's guess was correct :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
Didnt think it was air to ground as the angle can be changed from what the pictures show. Intresting set up none the less....
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
As far as rocket systems go, that one's idiotic....

How were they expecting to get even close with A2G rockets against fast moving and manuevering fighters?

To quote a movie, "It bottles the mind!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
As far as rocket systems go, that one's idiotic....

How were they expecting to get even close with A2G rockets against fast moving and manuevering fighters?

To quote a movie, "It bottles the mind!"

It doesn't have to hit the enemy fighter, it just has to make it break off it's attack.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
It doesn't have to hit the enemy fighter, it just has to make it break off it's attack.

ack-ack

Agreed, just there to scare off the attack, probably never intended to actually try and hit a enemy fighter....
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »
British used Liberators for long distance UBoat patrols. Besides radar, bombs and depth charges some had 6 inch rocket racks mounted on the side of the fuslage under the side of the cockpit.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 01:31:32 PM »
Krusty also note, that it never got past the testing stage.  It wasn't used operationally.  At the time there may have been enough legitimate concern to try just about anything.  I don't imagine in the overall scheme of things it was that difficult to take it to the test stage.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »
Good points all around, I suppose. I guess 60+ years of hindsight color my perspective more than the folks that were doing it at the time.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
  Imagine diving in to shoot the tail off a B24 and it fires 2 or 3 bazzoka rockets at you!

I'm pretty sure I'd break off! :O

:salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
  Imagine diving in to shoot the tail off a B24 and it fires 2 or 3 bazzoka rockets at you!

Or how about that:  :devil

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Good points all around, I suppose. I guess 60+ years of hindsight color my perspective more than the folks that were doing it at the time.

+1 for admitting you were wrong.   :salute

Sometimes we forget that we are looking back in time.  So what seems like a terrible idea today for them to do back then, was actually them learning, advancing technologically, and most of all, trying to think of ways of not getting shot down and killed.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
Or how about that:  :devil

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd either get the heck outa the way or start filing the kill claim paperwork if I saw that, holy.  :O  :rofl
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
I too was going to say that hindsight is 20/20.  Put yourself in a Bf109 starting your run on a B24 and then seeing the rockets launch... you would think twice about staying on course. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.