Author Topic: Mercruiser 4.3 oil leak question  (Read 15469 times)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 oil leak question
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
Ordering a starter for mine from psep.biz tonight 69.99 and 7.95 shipping vs the marina 256.78. now its supposed to rain all week. Hopefully its easier to do an oilchange on yours than mine :neener: I dont have the suction tube so while starter is out did it. 1 qt drained at a time.  with the starter in :headscratch: :headscratch: I dont see how you would use the drain plug for oil change.  looking good Jager :cheers:

The previous owner used the drain plug....  Once.  It took them hours to sop up all the oil in the engine compartment after.  I've got fresh oil in it now, and that'll probably last me until I need to winterize it in the fall.  I'm not sure yet whether I'll buy the pump and do it myself or just have it done at a shop. 
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
yeah I think when its due for oil changes I am going to take the starter out, much easier and the starter is only 2 bolts and 3 nuts, takes about 5 mins to take it out and about that to install it.  The previous owner of mine also drained it into the bottom and he said"NEVER DO THAT" :lol

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »
i don't know what type of engines you guys have but on my MasterCraft theres a 3ft Oil drain line that's attached at the drain plug on the Oil Pan (351 Cleveland), the hose is long enough to go out through the drain plug in the Hull i just push the hose out the drain plug hole and drain the oil from the outside under the hull, you should be able to find the oil draining kit at most auto parts stores, it saves a heck of alot of time and makes no mess at all.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 08:07:27 AM »
hmmmmm now that you said that I have seen petnoodles that can accept a hose just cant remember where.  will have to see if I can find it.  Thanks for the idea.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
If you're draining oil out of a narrow line from a drain plug valve or sucking it out through the dipstick, remember that having the oil warm will reduce your drain/pumping time by a considerable margin.

If you use these two methods in the winter, you might to bring out a tent and sleeping bag.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
i don't know what type of engines you guys have but on my MasterCraft theres a 3ft Oil drain line that's attached at the drain plug on the Oil Pan (351 Cleveland), the hose is long enough to go out through the drain plug in the Hull i just push the hose out the drain plug hole and drain the oil from the outside under the hull, you should be able to find the oil draining kit at most auto parts stores, it saves a heck of alot of time and makes no mess at all.

Yep.  There's a kit that you can buy for just about any engine that will drain out through the bilge drain.  

If you're draining oil out of a narrow line from a drain plug valve or sucking it out through the dipstick, remember that having the oil warm will reduce your drain/pumping time by a considerable margin.

If you use these two methods in the winter, you might to bring out a tent and sleeping bag.

QFT

Spent most of the day yesterday working on the gelcoat again...  Buffed for hours, then 3 coats of wax to seal things up.  I'm pretty damn happy with the result.

Still need to get new registration number stickers, but hot damn!  Shiny!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:46:16 PM by AAJagerX »

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
Dang, with that shine, and all those coats of wax, if you just push her away from the dock, shes gonna be 30ft from ya  :lol

Lookin good Jager!!  :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
WOW!!!! :cheers: :cheers:looks DANG good!  Wish mine would shine like that, but the previous 2 owners way neglected it.  someday it will lol.  The only thing I have found to work is 320 sandpaper, and lots of elbow grease.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
Dang, with that shine, and all those coats of wax, if you just push her away from the dock, shes gonna be 30ft from ya  :lol

Lookin good Jager!!  :aok

:rofl  Made me think of the scene from "Christmas Vacation" where they coat the bottom of the sled with that spray lube...  

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
WOW!!!! :cheers: :cheers:looks DANG good!  Wish mine would shine like that, but the previous 2 owners way neglected it.  someday it will lol.  The only thing I have found to work is 320 sandpaper, and lots of elbow grease.

Are you hand sanding, or using an electric sander?

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Yep.  There's a kit that you can buy for just about any engine that will drain out through the bilge drain.  

QFT

Spent most of the day yesterday working on the gelcoat again...  Buffed for hours, then 3 coats of wax to seal things up.  I'm pretty damn happy with the result.

(Image removed from quote.)

Still need to get new registration number stickers, but hot damn!  Shiny!

looking real good, i worked on mine till i could see my reflection in it from 5ft away, then i power buffed and put on 3 coats of wax and two years later it still has a mirror shine to it.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
hand sanding, I tried a palm sander but that dont even touch it.  was thinking earlier about an disc sander to go in a drill.  used my dremel on a small spot with sand paper and it work beautifully, but could do it faster by hand.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
hand sanding, I tried a palm sander but that dont even touch it.  was thinking earlier about an disc sander to go in a drill.  used my dremel on a small spot with sand paper and it work beautifully, but could do it faster by hand.

I wonder if Maguire's heavy duty and an orbital buffer would do the trick...  That stuff seems to cut through most anything.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
Yeah zoom, I'm hoping for the same result with mine.  Labor intensive, but sooo worth it!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
Yeah zoom, I'm hoping for the same result with mine.  Labor intensive, but sooo worth it!

You said it!   Looks real nice! If your real anal you can polish up all that chrome! That's were a dremel comes in handy,I have a cheapy cordless unit that with the right attachments and jeweler's rouge will let you see your face in the screw heads... :devil

Last boat I worked on was a 28ft searay,only took us 3 days but I used 3 different compounds and we put 3 or 4 coats of wax. Well it wasnt really a wax but a polymer coating that they use on "new cars". Oh and I didnt do his chrome work either. I have polished a couple of sailboat jewelery though.

:salute

PS:  Jagar,you missed a spot! :devil