Author Topic: Linux port of Aces High  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Linux port of Aces High
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
ATI/AMD video cards do not work nearly as well as NVidia cards with Linux.  NVidia kicks ATI/AMD's tush in drivers for Linux.  It really is a significant difference.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
Oh. I thought of one other detail that should be considered by anybody wanting to switch to Linux with Aces High: When the free "Wine" windows emulator handles Aces High game sounds, it does NOT handle doppler effects. To me, this is not a big deal, but it might be a nuisance for some folks.
 :salute

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 05:18:28 AM »
bbosen,

Any chance of finding an .iso of your boot DVD somewhere online for download now or in the future?
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »
bbosen,

Any chance of finding an .iso of your boot DVD somewhere online for download now or in the future?

Usually the .iso or flash drive boot is created using the hardware for the computer were it is created unless you download the generic then put your drivers in.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
bbosen,

Let me think about that a bit....  I don't want to create a support nightmare for myself.

....I did make it as generic as possible, with all of the standard video drivers included, etc. So it should work with most modern machines (made during the last 4 years or so). This includes machines with ATi graphics hardware, but I worry about those becuase I've found them very difficult to support.

Does the machine you want to use have nVidia graphics hardware?

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »
The machines I have are nVidia.  I've been experimenting with various distros and DEs and X-Plane which is available in Linux.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
OK. I will push the iso up to a prominent area of my web site within the next few days. I hope it works well for anybody that wants it.

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
Should I look here or at your signature site for its location?

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
When it's ready, it will be obvious from my "signature site". I'll need a few days.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
ATI/AMD video cards do not work nearly as well as NVidia cards with Linux.  NVidia kicks ATI/AMD's tush in drivers for Linux.  It really is a significant difference.
Which is kind of funny to me... Running Ubuntu 11.10 with Nvidia driver version173 on my built in car with the laptop. I run 1920x1200 and it looks beautiful, but wow graphics and CPU take a hit running anything multi-media. I have some "older" video card and it doesn't have a valid driver. I've read this particular card isn't really supported... I'm guessing because of the laptop and all that.

No biggie, I know newer Nvidia cards are much better, but these older ones not so much.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
Which is kind of funny to me... Running Ubuntu 11.10 with Nvidia driver version173 on my built in car with the laptop. I run 1920x1200 and it looks beautiful, but wow graphics and CPU take a hit running anything multi-media. I have some "older" video card and it doesn't have a valid driver. I've read this particular card isn't really supported... I'm guessing because of the laptop and all that.

No biggie, I know newer Nvidia cards are much better, but these older ones not so much.

Did you enable the closed source Intel graphics driver in Ubuntu? Without that your performance is going to be about 25% of what it should. The open source version of the Intel driver sucks. Linus Torvalds actually told Intel to go fondle themselves with a courtious middle finger recently in an interview because Intel doesn't support the open drivers at all. But they do have the best closed driver around.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »
Did you enable the closed source Intel graphics driver in Ubuntu? Without that your performance is going to be about 25% of what it should. The open source version of the Intel driver sucks. Linus Torvalds actually told Intel to go fondle themselves with a courtious middle finger recently in an interview because Intel doesn't support the open drivers at all. But they do have the best closed driver around.

I know Linus said that to NVidia (along with the finger) as part of a presentation at a recent trade show.  I was not aware of him saying that to Intel as well.  

There is no official support for the Linux drivers from NVidia.  A couple of the NVidia engineers do it on their own, and they are not going to release source code as they would get fired for doing so.  Even with that, NVidia does a better job with the drivers than AMD/ATI does.  Given AMD/ATI officially supports Linux, it is really quite comical.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:24:28 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 06:35:27 AM »
I know Linus said that to NVidia (along with the finger) as part of a presentation at a recent trade show.  I was not aware of him saying that to Intel as well.  

There is no official support for the Linux drivers from NVidia.  A couple of the NVidia engineers do it on their own, and they are not going to release source code as they would get fired for doing so.  Even with that, NVidia does a better job with the drivers than AMD/ATI does.  Given AMD/ATI officially supports Linux, it is really quite comical.

Sorry typo, I meant Nvidia obviously. Was thinking nvidia, wrote intel.. <-- laughs at himself.  :lol
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »
Why?

(Image removed from quote.)

The chart shows *nix based OSes are >10%, which is a significat market share. disappointing that everyone reads this chart as 1.7% :(
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »
The chart shows *nix based OSes are >10%, which is a significat market share. disappointing that everyone reads this chart as 1.7% :(

Desktop linuxes cover closer to 1%. Servers, OSX and Android cover most of the *nix user base.