Author Topic: Linux port of Aces High  (Read 3847 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Re: Linux port of Aces High
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
Sorry this is taking so long. I've got the .iso built and tested. It's a little over 1GB in size. I'm uploading it to my ftp site, but it's taking so long I'm getting a lot of timeouts. May need to do it late at night.
 :salute

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Well.....  :frown: I'm still struggling to upload the big .iso file. It always aborts after 190 Megabytes. I'll need to go for tech support from my hosting provider. Maybe they can advise me about some better tool than standard ftp. I hope to have this visible in a prominent location of my site at some point, but I don't know when I'll lick this problem. Sorry for the delay.
 :salute

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
Well the ONLY reason i  boot windoze is to fly AH. (Recent information on win 8 is worrisome at best. Iwill never use win 8. )But being an amateur c/opengl programmer i can see where it would take some effort. All the computers in the zeagle household run linux.

I have entertained thoughts of writing my own sim for linux after i retire next year. Who knows...
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »
I will be recommending everyone stay away from Windows 8.  Do not do it.  Please, for the sake of your own sanity, and ours, do not do it.  If you have a sadistic and/or masochistic streak in you which you have to satisfy, then try taking a hammer and hitting something.  It would probably be more satisfying than using Windows 8.

Matter of fact, I strongly recommend, those of you (includes me) who are still running Windows XP, consider getting a copy of Windows 7, before it is no longer available (sometime in October) so you can have an upgrade path when you decide you no longer have a choice to to upgrade.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »
Easy there Skuzzy, this sounds like your making the case for a linux port    :devil
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 06:36:45 AM »
Easy there Skuzzy, this sounds like your making the case for a linux port    :devil

That is not going to happen.  Again, if the Linux distros would, collectively, support one API for graphics, sounds, and inputs, it would stand a chance of being "possible" to do.  If ATI and NVidia would actually get behind it, then it might help.  NVidia has two programmers doing the drivers, and they do it on their own dime.

Linux lacks support from too many players, in order for it to be a viable platform for game development.  Currently, developers have to pick one distro from an already very small percentage of the market to support.  Makes no business sense at all.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 07:45:36 AM »
Nuff said. Its your sandbox.

The thing about Linux is that you CAN change the world because you DO have access to the source code.

It was worth asking the question. You can kill this thread sir.   :salute
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Nuff said. Its your sandbox.

The thing about Linux is that you CAN change the world because you DO have access to the source code.

It was worth asking the question. You can kill this thread sir.   :salute

As long as there are hundreds of desperate versions of Linux in the market, it does not matter.  That fractured market is one of many things preventing Linux from being a main stream desktop solution.

By the way, I happen to like Linux a lot.  I use it for my firewall, media serving, and file server on my LAN.  It cannot be used as my desktop due to the lack of applications I need, for the things I do at home.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:44:14 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
I will be recommending everyone stay away from Windows 8.  Do not do it.  Please, for the sake of your own sanity, and ours, do not do it.  If you have a sadistic and/or masochistic streak in you which you have to satisfy, then try taking a hammer and hitting something.  It would probably be more satisfying than using Windows 8.

Matter of fact, I strongly recommend, those of you (includes me) who are still running Windows XP, consider getting a copy of Windows 7, before it is no longer available (sometime in October) so you can have an upgrade path when you decide you no longer have a choice to to upgrade.

By the way, for those of you who think I am some type of drama king.  Gabe Newell (Valve, the Steam King) came out and said, "Windows 8 is a catastrophe." in a recent interview.  They (Valve) are actually looking to get behind Linux in a big way.  Looks like they are using Ubuntu as their platform of choice.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
not to change the subject of the thread...and I'm contemplating opening a new thread for it, probably a better idea..but here goes.

Skuzzy, I do not know much (actually safer to say nothing) about W8. Why is it you and many others are against? I've heard rumors Microsoft has some sort of Control over your machine if you install 8, then again I have also heard this is not true. I have heard from a couple people who got the Beta its a catastrophe, then I've heard just the opposite, its better then 7. For me, from what I've seen, it is too much like the Windows Phone. I am asking you this question, as you seem to be the one in the know with 8.  :salute

back on topic- I have a copy of Linux, have not installed it yet, but thinking about it. Never played with it. Anything I should be aware of (other then the well known fact you can alter your copy and distribute your new modified copy)?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
By the way, for those of you who think I am some type of drama king.  Gabe Newell (Valve, the Steam King) came out and said, "Windows 8 is a catastrophe." in a recent interview.  They (Valve) are actually looking to get behind Linux in a big way.  Looks like they are using Ubuntu as their platform of choice.

Just logged on to tell you that very thing....lol
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »
Just logged on to tell you that very thing....lol

Contrary to popular belief, I do keep up with technology.  Just because I do not care for 'smart' phones, and do not text at all (even have it blocked on inbound too), and have my computer locked down tighter than a submarine cruising under the ice, does not mean I do not keep up with tech.

Mason, it is easier to say there is nothing about Windows 8 I like, than to write the fifty page white paper on what is wrong with it.  Seems the only people who think it is a good thing is Microsoft and those who think Microsoft can do no wrong.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Gotcha Skuzzy, thanks!
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »
Contrary to popular belief, I do keep up with technology.  Just because I do not care for 'smart' phones, and do not text at all (even have it blocked on inbound too), and have my computer locked down tighter than a submarine cruising under the ice, does not mean I do not keep up with tech.

My girlfriend would say that describes me...lol. A colleague at work said that I am the only guy he knows who can write the software to make technology work, but never actually use it myself...
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »
By the way, for those of you who think I am some type of drama king.  Gabe Newell (Valve, the Steam King) came out and said, "Windows 8 is a catastrophe." in a recent interview.  

To Valve and other distributors Win8 is indeed a catastrophe with it's windows live marketplace which sticks built-in competition to Steam. It has nothing to do with Win8 internals per se. That's why Newell and other game distributors are dead bolted to trash Win8 - Microsoft is making an agressive move that will in theory make Steam and other similar tools unnecessary. Valve is reaping billions of turnover selling stuff over Steam so naturally any CEO would be panicing to have a competing product preinstalled to every new PC and have their own product as manual download OPTION :)

Newell is pressing Linux as a direct response hit to Microsoft - essentially endorsing linux is exactly to Microsoft what MS is doing to Valve by including MS live shop to Win8. Personally I wouldn't have any problems with migrating to linux also for games. In fact I installed linux to several people this summer who came to ask me to disinfect their windows boxes. I gave them a real clean sweep of windows viruses :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:55:54 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone